Studying and Living in NYC Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
Squid

New

Studying and Living in NYC

Post by Squid » Sun Oct 31, 2010 4:29 pm

Hello everyone,

I'm a future JD student (hopefully) who really wants to study and practice law in New York City. Unfortunately, it's quite expensive (you're dealing with the high tuition costs and higher costs of New York).

I was just wondering how maybe some of you with similar experiences managed to make ends meet. I know law school's a full time job, but did any of you do small part time jobs? Just a lot of loans? Etc.

Thanks!

vanwinkle

Platinum

Re: Studying and Living in NYC

Post by vanwinkle » Sun Oct 31, 2010 4:31 pm

You should not work your first year of law school, period.

nol607

Bronze

Post by nol607 » Sun Oct 31, 2010 4:40 pm

Groceries are incredibly expensive in NYC and definitely the biggest component of my expenses. I've found that cooking and eating at home is more expensive than eating out (assuming that you're a guy and eat nasty food like Subway a lot). A lot of people get their groceries on FreshDirect.com, and the prices do seem way cheaper than in stores.

pereira6

Silver

Post by pereira6 » Sun Oct 31, 2010 5:02 pm

I'm anticipating being at Columbia or NYU, so I'd like some advice as well about living there. I'm a relatively poor upstate New Yorker.

motiontodismiss

Silver

Post by motiontodismiss » Mon Nov 01, 2010 3:26 am

nol607 wrote:Groceries are incredibly expensive in NYC and definitely the biggest component of my expenses. I've found that cooking and eating at home is more expensive than eating out (assuming that you're a guy and eat nasty food like Subway a lot). A lot of people get their groceries on FreshDirect.com, and the prices do seem way cheaper than in stores.
Trader Joe's FTW

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Lwoods

Silver

Post by Lwoods » Mon Nov 01, 2010 7:25 am

The biggest chunk of your living budget will be rent. Check out Craigslist to find how much it would cost to live off-campus (but the same neighborhood) with a roommate before deciding on student housing. The undergrad dorms at NYU weren't that cheap, and I think the graduate housing is more than undergrad. You will have to search a little to find deals, but they're out there.
The thing about real estate in NYC is that you're not going to own, and you're going to live in a smaller space than you would elsewhere. Expect to need around $1k/month for rent.

On the plus side, you don't need a car. In fact, it's probably to your detriment if you have a car in Manhattan. Sell it. Say goodbye to the insurance payment and hello to all that money you've been spending on gas and parking. If you live close to campus, you will likely be walking everywhere. If you live far away, you'll just need ~$100/month for your metrocard. NYC is really quite safe; you shouldn't be spending that much, if any, on cabs. Just be smart when you're out and about.

I recently moved to the Midwest and haven't noticed any difference between my grocery bill. If you shop at Whole Foods or a boutique grocer, you will likely pay more, but Food Emporium was fine, and I always found good deals at Associated Super Markets (some are sketch, but the one by NYU is nice). Fresh Direct can be a deal, but when I used it there was a $40 minimum (I only needed $20ish of groceries a week) and I think a delivery fee. If you have a family or can go in with roommates / building-mates, that might be the way to go.

There are lots of little hole-in-the-wall restaurants that are cheap for going out. Mamoun's Falafel and any pizza place (though Pizza 33 is the best). If you want to go out for a special occasion, I'd suggest an all-you-can-drink brunch (usually in the $30 range for an entree + unlimited drinks) over an evening affair with bottles and cover charges (that can run you upwards of $100). Or, if you don't care about drinking, just find a pub to make your own that never charges cover and befriend the bartender. If you have friends who are drinking, you'll likely get free soda.

I've noticed "extras" are cheaper in NY than they are elsewhere in the country. If you send your laundry out, it's $1/lb for wash & fold. Just a little more than the coin machines and a lot more convenient. Basic tailoring is inexpensive, and mani/pedis are super cheap. There are also plenty of cobblers, so with all that walking, just get your shoes repaired before buying a new pair.

...Le sigh. I miss NY.

Ascend

New

Post by Ascend » Mon Nov 01, 2010 7:57 am

How about a family of 4, how much are we talking for rent on a 3 bedroom apt?

Lwoods

Silver

Post by Lwoods » Mon Nov 01, 2010 8:14 am

Ascend wrote:How about a family of 4, how much are we talking for rent on a 3 bedroom apt?
That will get expensive... probably $3k+/month in Manhattan, maybe a little less up by Columbia. Any chance the kids can share a room? Otherwise, you might look into Jersey. It's not ideal, but it's part of the added challenges of starting a family prior to law school. Of course, if your spouse works, that helps!

paratactical

Platinum

Post by paratactical » Mon Nov 01, 2010 10:42 am

Last edited by paratactical on Wed Feb 13, 2013 11:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Ascend

New

Post by Ascend » Mon Nov 01, 2010 5:32 pm

I actually resided in NY state many years ago and I think the state has a law that disallows children of opposite sex to share a room once they reach the age of 5. I could be wrong, but I'll have to look into it.

Excellence = a Habit

Silver

Post by Excellence = a Habit » Wed Nov 03, 2010 6:02 pm

If you're looking into places outside Manhattan, you might as well add Brooklyn (especially if the school is NYU or something else downtown. The ride in would be 20-50 minutes). Rent is so much better there (I recommend the neighborhood of Kensington, which is family friendly and not super gentrified at all) and I think grocery prices are fantastic too. I'm spending less on groceries than I ever did living in DC... mainly because I live near an independent grocer who sells stuff that is mostly not organic but has a wide, wide variety of produce and packaged food that is dirt cheap (without being sketchy). Plus, it's open 24 hours! So yeah, check out Brooklyn if you're willing to live a little off campus.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”