NA in Stanford Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
xmrmckenziex

New

NA in Stanford

Post by xmrmckenziex » Sat Oct 16, 2010 12:42 am

2.2% of their student body is Native American. Each year for the past three years they have admitted a similar percentage of NAs (Which is MUCH higher than most other schools). Significance? Could you say that if NA are looking for URM boost in the T-14 this would be a good place to look?

s0ph1e2007

Silver

Re: NA in Stanford

Post by s0ph1e2007 » Sat Oct 16, 2010 12:50 am

xmrmckenziex wrote:2.2% of their student body is Native American. Each year for the past three years they have admitted a similar percentage of NAs (Which is MUCH higher than most other schools). Significance? Could you say that if NA are looking for URM boost in the T-14 this would be a good place to look?

Stanford has a great deal of respect for the significance of the Indian lawyer in the current Native geopolitical climate in the U.S. today. Constitutions are being written, court systems are being developed, and major cases are receiving a serious and much more fair look in the SCOTUS. I'm not sure that Stanford gives a more significant boost in admissions to NDN applicants, but it is certainly a good environment for a future NDN lawyer. (excluding the fact that kids on campus sometimes run around with Indian Head shirts etc. on from the previous mascot).
Feel free to PM me (I'm assuming you're and NDN applicant and not just curious)

BruceWayne

Gold

Post by BruceWayne » Sat Oct 16, 2010 12:52 am

I'm sure that their location has something to do with it as well.

s0ph1e2007

Silver

Post by s0ph1e2007 » Sat Oct 16, 2010 12:54 am

BruceWayne wrote:I'm sure that their location has something to do with it as well.
That's probably accurate. Most people have no idea how many different Tribes have trust land or reservations within the state of California (there are also some of the worst Tribal-State relations in CA). Although it might be noteworthy that they (and almost all other law schools actually) received less NDN applications than years prior... really interested in why this happened and have no way of finding out haha

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”