CCN for working California? Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
re-applicant

Bronze

CCN for working California?

Post by re-applicant » Fri Sep 03, 2010 10:17 pm

any notable differences at any one of CCN?

BruceWayne

Gold

Re: CCN for working California?

Post by BruceWayne » Fri Sep 03, 2010 10:25 pm

Both of CC are better than NYU for all non NYC markets.

thrillhouse

Bronze

Post by thrillhouse » Mon Sep 06, 2010 4:44 pm

BruceWayne wrote:Both of CC are better than NYU for all non NYC markets.
I would think so, too. But, are you going on something other than gut here?

ravens20

Bronze

Post by ravens20 » Fri Sep 10, 2010 11:48 am

Cali is NYU's second strongest market after New York. It has a very strong presence there and dedicated organizations/alumni networks to help law students land jobs there.

Rand M.

Silver

Post by Rand M. » Fri Sep 10, 2010 11:50 am

ravens20 wrote:Cali is NYU's second strongest market after New York. It has a very strong presence there and dedicated organizations/alumni networks to help law students land jobs there.
This, and what has already been said, are not mutually exclusive.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

RVP11

Gold

Post by RVP11 » Fri Sep 10, 2010 11:51 am

re-applicant wrote:any notable differences at any one of CCN?
Not really. But CC > N is a common sentiment here and might be based in some reality.

solidsnake

Silver

Post by solidsnake » Fri Sep 10, 2010 11:55 am

Last edited by solidsnake on Sat Sep 11, 2010 1:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

spondee

Bronze

Post by spondee » Fri Sep 10, 2010 12:05 pm

This is one of those ranking questions that people over-think.

California is a difficult market. Targeting it from these schools, your grades will matter even more than usual because only the most prestigious California firms will travel to OCI. And if you don't have top grades, you'll have to do more targeted mailings. Your individual performance will matter far, far more than which of CCN you pick. So, go to whichever school you like best.

Personally, if I were confident that I wanted to work in California, I'd strongly consider a scholarship at Berkeley over CCN.

BruceWayne

Gold

Post by BruceWayne » Fri Sep 10, 2010 4:20 pm

spondee wrote:This is one of those ranking questions that people over-think.

California is a difficult market. Targeting it from these schools, your grades will matter even more than usual because only the most prestigious California firms will travel to OCI. And if you don't have top grades, you'll have to do more targeted mailings. Your individual performance will matter far, far more than which of CCN you pick. So, go to whichever school you like best.

Personally, if I were confident that I wanted to work in California, I'd strongly consider a scholarship at Berkeley over CCN.

Totally agree, but Boalt's eccentric admissions are such that a decent bit of people get into Columbia but rejected at Boalt. If you want to work in California, are straight from undergrad, and have say a 3.5 and a 175 you are very likely to end up in this situation. That has to be pretty frustrating if you are in that situation and have no ties to California. You could get locked out of a job in Cali because you don't get into Stanford and Boalt's not an option. You could go to UCLA or USC on scholarship, but that seems risky.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

re-applicant

Bronze

Post by re-applicant » Fri Sep 10, 2010 5:56 pm

BruceWayne wrote:
spondee wrote:This is one of those ranking questions that people over-think.

Totally agree, but Boalt's eccentric admissions are such that a decent bit of people get into Columbia but rejected at Boalt. If you want to work in California, are straight from undergrad, and have say a 3.5 and a 175 you are very likely to end up in this situation. That has to be pretty frustrating if you are in that situation and have no ties to California. You could get locked out of a job in Cali because you don't get into Stanford and Boalt's not an option. You could go to UCLA or USC on scholarship, but that seems risky.
Exactly. There's a good chunk of people--myself included--with numbers that give them no chance of getting into Berkeley, despite having a decent shot at CCN.

shmoo597

Bronze

Post by shmoo597 » Mon Sep 13, 2010 1:43 am

Though the CC>N conventional wisdom is probably correct, the difference is not great. It is definitely doable to make it to cali from CCN - all the big cali firms and offices come to OCI.

FWIW, I go to NYU, and got multiple callbacks in california this OCI.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”