Arizone State University - Liberal? Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
Azmatt

Bronze

Re: Arizone State University - Liberal?

Post by Azmatt » Thu Aug 19, 2010 8:40 pm

CanadianWolf wrote:The definition of the word "liberal" in Arizona is much different than than in Massachusetts or San Francisco. Essentially non-liberals in Arizona shoot first & ask questions later, while Arizona's liberals ask questions first & then shoot.
TITCR

Bless my state....

Azmatt

Bronze

Post by Azmatt » Thu Aug 19, 2010 8:41 pm

MSUPHL wrote:1l just started at ASU...i expected a liberal law school, but here it is enforced down your throat to be honest. I am personally closest to a libertarian in my political beleifs, but none of the stuff they are forcing down your throat is that bad. 50 hours of comm. service over 3 yrs, many profs making jokes about the war in iraq and stuff, lot of family law/child abuse stuff in orientation, lot of native peoples rights issues, etc...couldnt believe all the stuff thrown down our throats during orientation. Personally, i dont really care as I dont see it affecting my LS career that much, and I agree with alot of the stuff...if you have specific qs let me know..

Because community service, jokes about univerally accepted political mistakes, family law, child protection, and native people's rights are completely foundational to the Democratic party platform..... right along side baby killing and communist marches.

Quite a valid comparison you have here. How will the conservative students ever survive such abuse?

manbearwig

Bronze

Post by manbearwig » Thu Aug 19, 2010 11:20 pm

MSUPHL wrote:1l just started at ASU...i expected a liberal law school, but here it is enforced down your throat to be honest. I am personally closest to a libertarian in my political beleifs, but none of the stuff they are forcing down your throat is that bad. 50 hours of comm. service over 3 yrs, many profs making jokes about the war in iraq and stuff, lot of family law/child abuse stuff in orientation, lot of native peoples rights issues, etc...couldnt believe all the stuff thrown down our throats during orientation. Personally, i dont really care as I dont see it affecting my LS career that much, and I agree with alot of the stuff...if you have specific qs let me know..
Omg, a law school talking about all the *good* things it does?? How horrible.

Seriously, did you expect them to go on and on about all the "gray area" corporate lawyers and ambulance chasers they turn out?

MSUPHL

Bronze

Post by MSUPHL » Thu Aug 19, 2010 11:22 pm

Azmatt wrote:

Because community service, jokes about univerally accepted political mistakes, family law, child protection, and native people's rights are completely foundational to the Democratic party platform..... right along side baby killing and communist marches.

Quite a valid comparison you have here. How will the conservative students ever survive such abuse?
its not about conservative vs. liberal, IMO, but rather, just including any direct political discussion into the classroom without any appeal to other viewpoints. Like i said, personally, i could care less. I enjoy comm service and they dont say anything too bad. Admittedly, i felt bad for the student who came back from Iraq a year ago when they downplayed the importance of the war during orientation then again today in class. As far as family law - that is the one i had a problem with. I still have a hard time finding pity for those adults who enter and stay in abusive relationships...and native issues? I have no opinion on the area, i just moved here and had never met a native before about 2 days ago and am completely ignorant (and probably plan to stay that way) on the subject.

manbearwig

Bronze

Post by manbearwig » Thu Aug 19, 2010 11:23 pm

MSUPHL wrote:
Azmatt wrote:

its not about conservative vs. liberal, IMO, but rather, just including any direct political discussion into the classroom without any appeal to other viewpoints. Like i said, personally, i could care less. I enjoy comm service and they dont say anything too bad. Admittedly, i felt bad for the student who came back from Iraq a year ago when they downplayed the importance of the war during orientation then again today in class. As far as family law - that is the one i had a problem with. I still have a hard time finding pity for those adults who enter and stay in abusive relationships...and native issues? I have no opinion on the area, i just moved here and had never met a native before about 2 days ago and am completely ignorant (and probably plan to stay that way) on the subject.
Well, this tells me everything I need to know about you.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

kalvano

Diamond

Post by kalvano » Thu Aug 19, 2010 11:27 pm

COULDN'T CARE LESS. You ignorant troglodytes, the phrase is "couldn't care less."

It implies that you have reached 0 on give-a-shit meter. It's not possible for you to care any less than you do.

When you say you could care less, it implies that you still care about the issue.

ZachOda

Bronze

Post by ZachOda » Thu Aug 19, 2010 11:38 pm

First of all, I really don't think political leanings will affect your ability to be a competent lawyer. And even if the school is liberal, it's not like they're going to ostracize you.

Real world = meeting people who have different opinions and accepting the fact that you will be put in situations where not everyone agrees with you

If you like ASU (and with its current trend, its hard not to like it), give it a shot. Especially if the liberal leaning is the only qualm you have. Like others have posted previously, you won't be the only conservative in Arizona.

EDIT: Just reread your first post. Little disappointed that you believe law professors will simply be shoving their ideologies down your throat rather than teaching you how to be a lawyer. The professors are trying to make you into a good lawyer, not a Democrat.

td6624

Silver

Post by td6624 » Thu Aug 19, 2010 11:51 pm

MSUPHL wrote:
As far as family law - that is the one i had a problem with. I still have a hard time finding pity for those adults who enter and stay in abusive relationships...and native issues? I have no opinion on the area, i just moved here and had never met a native before about 2 days ago and am completely ignorant (and probably plan to stay that way) on the subject.
wow. really?

don't go to law school.

ResolutePear

Platinum

Post by ResolutePear » Thu Aug 19, 2010 11:52 pm

kalvano wrote:COULDN'T CARE LESS. You ignorant troglodytes, the phrase is "couldn't care less."

It implies that you have reached 0 on give-a-shit meter. It's not possible for you to care any less than you do.

When you say you could care less, it implies that you still care about the issue.
I could care less about you too, but I refuse since your avatar is a dime.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

ResolutePear

Platinum

Post by ResolutePear » Thu Aug 19, 2010 11:57 pm

IANALS,

but I heard that all law schools use the same damn casebooks.

It's not like they give you "Unicorns and Sunshine" in one school and "Spear up the ass with no lube" at the other school for reading material.

MSUPHL

Bronze

Post by MSUPHL » Fri Aug 20, 2010 3:24 am

manbearwig wrote:
MSUPHL wrote:
Azmatt wrote:

Well, this tells me everything I need to know about you.
interesting. suppose i could say the same about someone who claims to have complete knowledge of someone else based on a couple paragraphs of dialogue over the internet

MSUPHL

Bronze

Post by MSUPHL » Fri Aug 20, 2010 3:25 am

kalvano wrote:COULDN'T CARE LESS. You ignorant troglodytes, the phrase is "couldn't care less."

i meant that i couldnt care less about a school's political leanings. it had no effect on my decision where to attend LS, whatsoever.

MSUPHL

Bronze

Post by MSUPHL » Fri Aug 20, 2010 3:29 am

td6624 wrote:
MSUPHL wrote:
As far as family law - that is the one i had a problem with. I still have a hard time finding pity for those adults who enter and stay in abusive relationships...and native issues? I have no opinion on the area, i just moved here and had never met a native before about 2 days ago and am completely ignorant (and probably plan to stay that way) on the subject.
wow. really?

don't go to law school.
all i can do is base my opinions off of what i have experienced/learned. as far as abusive relationships among consenting adults, i feel i have no place to intervene...if the abused asks me for help, i will help if i can i suppose. however, ultimately, it is up that individual to decide for themselves who they want to be with.

children or adults incapable of making decisions for themselves are a different story. Children are a unique story in that they are completely innocent obviously and are not a cause at all of their situation.

As far as native law is concerned...I mean i have never even thought about the topic. I suppose an intro course next year would be helpful if i decide i do want to learn about it, only time will tell.

edit; just to be on same page, by abusive i never meant physically abusive. it should be obvious that physical harm needs to be punished through the law. i am talking about emotional abuse here...

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

bk1

Diamond

Post by bk1 » Fri Aug 20, 2010 4:14 am

MSUPHL wrote:
manbearwig wrote:Well, this tells me everything I need to know about you.
interesting. suppose i could say the same about someone who claims to have complete knowledge of someone else based on a couple paragraphs of dialogue over the internet
Nice comeback, bro.

manbearwig

Bronze

Post by manbearwig » Fri Aug 20, 2010 8:52 am

MSUPHL wrote:
manbearwig wrote:Well, this tells me everything I need to know about you.
Did I claim to have "complete knowledge" of you? Rather, based on what you said, I now know enough to know that I don't want to "complete knowledge" of you.

john titor

Bronze

Post by john titor » Fri Aug 20, 2010 9:07 am

i'm a family lawyer. whenever a new client comes in my office, I say "thanks for the retainer! how much pity do you want?"

kalvano

Diamond

Post by kalvano » Fri Aug 20, 2010 9:48 am

Isn't the amount of pity relative to the size of the retainer?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

TommyK

Silver

Post by TommyK » Fri Aug 20, 2010 10:08 am

iamsinistar wrote:Can anyone tell me a law school that is NOT liberally biased?
Ave Maria :wink:

john titor

Bronze

Post by john titor » Fri Aug 20, 2010 10:17 am

kalvano wrote:Isn't the amount of pity relative to the size of the retainer?
everyone uses up their retainer pity. I just want to know how much im going to be billing them above and beyond that.

F458JE

New

Post by F458JE » Fri Aug 20, 2010 1:29 pm

ZachOda wrote:
EDIT: Just reread your first post. Little disappointed that you believe law professors will simply be shoving their ideologies down your throat rather than teaching you how to be a lawyer. The professors are trying to make you into a good lawyer, not a Democrat.
Never did I say I believe law professors will shove ideologies down my throat. I am not entirely sure where you read that. There are certain professors who will do this though. There are law schools out there that tend to do it more so than others (on both sides, conservative and liberal), that is a fact. What I did say in the original post is that I want a law school that teaches me how to think over what to think.

bk1

Diamond

Post by bk1 » Fri Aug 20, 2010 1:30 pm

F458JE wrote:What I did say in the original post is that I want a law school that teaches me how to think over what to think.
This is a dumb thing to want.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

ResolutePear

Platinum

Post by ResolutePear » Fri Aug 20, 2010 1:38 pm

F458JE wrote:
ZachOda wrote:
Never did I say I believe law professors will shove ideologies down my throat. I am not entirely sure where you read that. There are certain professors who will do this though. There are law schools out there that tend to do it more so than others (on both sides, conservative and liberal), that is a fact. What I did say in the original post is that I want a law school that teaches me how to think over what to think.
Alright, I'm one fucking confused pear here:

You're saying that you said that nowhere but he was able to correctly extrapolate that from your post?

Play the prof's game.. and if he's scarred your political alignment for life, well suck it up.

Veyron

Gold

Post by Veyron » Fri Aug 20, 2010 1:53 pm

ASU is conservative ---> for a university. Which means it is still liberal. If you want more conservative go to BYU, Utah, Olde Miss, etc.
Last edited by Veyron on Fri Aug 20, 2010 1:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Veyron

Gold

Post by Veyron » Fri Aug 20, 2010 1:54 pm

Azmatt wrote:
CanadianWolf wrote:The definition of the word "liberal" in Arizona is much different than than in Massachusetts or San Francisco. Essentially non-liberals in Arizona shoot first & ask questions later, while Arizona's liberals ask questions first & then shoot.
TITCR

Bless my state....
Also, amen!

rdcws000

Bronze

Post by rdcws000 » Fri Aug 20, 2010 5:21 pm

iamsinistar wrote:Can anyone tell me a law school that is NOT liberally biased?

I've just sort of accepted the fact that I am going to have to keep my center-right mouth shut during a lot of discussions if I want my 1L grades to be good.
You'll be graded anonymously, so to what extent you open your center-right mouth should not affect you.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”