best entertainment law school? Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
ezelin

New

best entertainment law school?

Post by ezelin » Thu Aug 19, 2010 1:43 am

i want to work in the music industry, so i'm thinking abt applying to berklee to study music business after law school...

im a freshman so i do have enough time to prepare for LSAT.. where should I aim for?

Knock

Platinum

Re: best entertainment law school?

Post by Knock » Thu Aug 19, 2010 2:04 am

ezelin wrote:i want to work in the music industry, so i'm thinking abt applying to berklee to study music business after law school...

im a freshman so i do have enough time to prepare for LSAT.. where should I aim for?
The top ranked school you get into. If that school is within a couple spots of a school in LA, then the similarly ranked LA school instead.

ezelin

New

Post by ezelin » Thu Aug 19, 2010 10:06 am

Knockglock wrote: The top ranked school you get into.
for things like network and connections?

Gold

Post by 270910 » Thu Aug 19, 2010 10:09 am

A school in LA has to be the best, or maybe TN?
Last edited by 270910 on Sun Oct 03, 2010 12:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Aberzombie1892

Gold

Post by Aberzombie1892 » Thu Aug 19, 2010 10:11 am

You need to research and see if your school has placed more than 1 graduate in one of the positions you are looking at. If only one graduate has received a job there, then they likely received it from personal connections (as opposed to the strength of the school).

I wouldn't say just go to the highest school that you get into because that is rarely the best idea (generally).

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Patriot1208

Platinum

Post by Patriot1208 » Thu Aug 19, 2010 10:13 am

it's the best idea, because you don't get into "entertainment law" out of law school, so you need to do well get a job and then make the connections to lateral. And btw, entertainment law is just corporate law, but your clients are virgin instead of lehman brothers.

Gold

Post by 03121202698008 » Thu Aug 19, 2010 10:18 am

Aberzombie1892 wrote:You need to research and see if your school has placed more than 1 graduate in one of the positions you are looking at. If only one graduate has received a job there, then they likely received it from personal connections (as opposed to the strength of the school).

I wouldn't say just go to the highest school that you get into because that is rarely the best idea (generally).
The problem is, there aren't many people in entertainment law. Make sure you like contracts OP, that's 98% of these jobs.

sanetruth

Bronze

Post by sanetruth » Thu Aug 19, 2010 10:20 am

ezelin wrote:i want to work in the music industry, so i'm thinking abt applying to berklee to study music business after law school...

First of all, scratch berklee after law school. Berklee is a sick joke of a school. "He who pays gets in". Its a factory where they let in 90% of applicants, and then fail the ones who aren't up to snuff and make them pay to repeat their classes in order to graduate. That's how they make so much money. The irony about berklee is that the only people who it really pays off for are the people who don't even need to go to make it in the industry in the first place.

Also, I can confidently say that this is the one situation where going to YHS and down the line will not necessarily give you a boost. The entertainment industry is all about networking and connections. Thus, if you're a beast networker at UCLA, Loyala LA, USC etc, you're going to be 1 step ahead of some clown coming from Columbia law school trying to be an entertainment lawyer in LA. Sure, they might end up in biglaw doing entertainment, but I don't think thats what you're talking about. The stereotypical 'glamorous entertainment lawyer' lives and works in LA out of a boutique firm, or even as in-house counsel for a studio. They're not the guys at Greenberg Traurig with 'entertainment' listed at the end of their attorney profile practice areas.

So, in sum, yes try and go to the best school you can, but if you're a networking/schmoozing entertainment guy who knows LA entertainment is your goal, get to UCLA, USC or Loyola and go from there. Oh and forget about Berklee.

beachbum

Gold

Post by beachbum » Thu Aug 19, 2010 10:26 am

sanetruth wrote:

First of all, scratch berklee after law school. Berklee is a sick joke of a school. "He who pays gets in". Its a factory where they let in 90% of applicants, and then fail the ones who aren't up to snuff and make them pay to repeat their classes in order to graduate. That's how they make so much money. The irony about berklee is that the only people who it really pays off for are the people who don't even need to go to make it in the industry in the first place.

Also, I can confidently say that this is the one situation where going to YHS and down the line will not necessarily give you a boost. The entertainment industry is all about networking and connections. Thus, if you're a beast networker at UCLA, Loyala LA, USC etc, you're going to be 1 step ahead of some clown coming from Columbia law school trying to be an entertainment lawyer in LA. Sure, they might end up in biglaw doing entertainment, but I don't think thats what you're talking about. The stereotypical 'glamorous entertainment lawyer' lives and works in LA out of a boutique firm, or even as in-house counsel for a studio. They're not the guys at Greenberg Traurig with 'entertainment' listed at the end of their attorney profile practice areas.

So, in sum, yes try and go to the best school you can, but if you're a networking/schmoozing entertainment guy who knows LA entertainment is your goal, get to UCLA, USC or Loyola and go from there. Oh and forget about Berklee.
But what about Berklee?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

F458JE

New

Post by F458JE » Thu Aug 19, 2010 10:37 am

Pepperdine has a strong program in entertainment law.

El_Gallo

Bronze

Post by El_Gallo » Thu Aug 19, 2010 10:57 am

blowhard wrote:First of all, scratch berklee after law school. Berklee is a sick joke of a school. "He who pays gets in". Its a factory where they let in 90% of applicants, and then fail the ones who aren't up to snuff and make them pay to repeat their classes in order to graduate. That's how they make so much money. The irony about berklee is that the only people who it really pays off for are the people who don't even need to go to make it in the industry in the first place.
blowhard wrote:at UCLA, Loyala LA, USC etc, you're going to be 1 step ahead of some clown coming from Columbia law school
LOLZ----Flame?

sanetruth

Bronze

Post by sanetruth » Thu Aug 19, 2010 11:12 am

El_Gallo wrote: LOLZ----Flame?
wow, taking me out of context is really easy isn't it?
sanetruth wrote: The entertainment industry is all about networking and connections. Thus, if you're a beast networker at UCLA, Loyala LA, USC etc, you're going to be 1 step ahead of some clown coming from Columbia law school trying to be an entertainment lawyer in LA. Sure, they might end up in biglaw doing entertainment, but I don't think thats what you're talking about.
And I assume you're quote of my statement about berklee insinuates you seem to think that is incorrect. FYI, your 'law school prestige' glasses don't work out of context. "Oh i've heard the name berklee. it must pretigious. T14 of music schools clearly"

Gold

Post by 03121202698008 » Thu Aug 19, 2010 11:14 am

El_Gallo wrote:
blowhard wrote:First of all, scratch berklee after law school. Berklee is a sick joke of a school. "He who pays gets in". Its a factory where they let in 90% of applicants, and then fail the ones who aren't up to snuff and make them pay to repeat their classes in order to graduate. That's how they make so much money. The irony about berklee is that the only people who it really pays off for are the people who don't even need to go to make it in the industry in the first place.
blowhard wrote:at UCLA, Loyala LA, USC etc, you're going to be 1 step ahead of some clown coming from Columbia law school
LOLZ----Flame?
Uh, none of those quotes are mine.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Danteshek

Gold

Post by Danteshek » Thu Aug 19, 2010 11:18 am

Main thing is to be in Los Angeles. Southwestern isn't the best school in LA, but it has the best and biggest curriculum in entertainment law (over 40 courses). You can takes Copyright there as a 1L.

vanwinkle

Platinum

Post by vanwinkle » Thu Aug 19, 2010 11:20 am

Danteshek wrote:Main thing is to be in Los Angeles. Southwestern isn't the best school in LA, but it has the best and biggest curriculum in entertainment law (over 40 courses). You can takes Copyright there as a 1L.
Curriculum doesn't really help you network, though.

Bildungsroman

Platinum

Post by Bildungsroman » Thu Aug 19, 2010 11:23 am

disco_barred wrote:Disco_Barred's guide to the top entertainment law schools:

1: YHS

2: CCN

3: MVPB

4: DCNG

5: A couple of other schools I always forget. Vandy? USC? I think WUSTL maybe?

6: The Abyss

7: Cooley, Ave Maria, Florida Coastal

8: People's college of law
You clearly are impressed with your own cleverness since I see you post this so frequently. Unfortunately:

1. This list becomes less clever every time you post it, and it wasn't that impressive to begin with. Get a new shtick.

2. This list doesn't actually help the OP answer his/her question. Do you really think that Cornell would be a better choice for entertainment law than UCLA, or that WUSTL would be as good a choice as USC? Applying the US News rankings as a one-size-fits-all evaluation of where to go for law school makes me question why anybody would actually pay attention to the advice that you post.

sanetruth

Bronze

Post by sanetruth » Thu Aug 19, 2010 11:24 am

Bildungsroman wrote:

You clearly are impressed with your own cleverness since I see you post this so frequently. Unfortunately:

1. This list becomes less clever every time you post it, and it wasn't that impressive to begin with. Get a new shtick.

2. This list doesn't actually help the OP answer his/her question. Do you really think that Cornell would be a better choice for entertainment law than UCLA, or that WUSTL would be as good a choice as USC? Applying the US News rankings as a one-size-fits-all evaluation of where to go for law school makes me question why anybody would actually pay attention to the advice that you post.
+10000000000000

well said.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Danteshek

Gold

Post by Danteshek » Thu Aug 19, 2010 11:34 am

vanwinkle wrote:
Danteshek wrote:Main thing is to be in Los Angeles. Southwestern isn't the best school in LA, but it has the best and biggest curriculum in entertainment law (over 40 courses). You can takes Copyright there as a 1L.
Exactly. That is why he should attend a school with a long record of producing entertainment lawyers (like Southwestern).

El_Gallo

Bronze

Post by El_Gallo » Thu Aug 19, 2010 11:44 am

blowhard wrote:Uh, none of those quotes are mine.
My apologies

Patriot1208

Platinum

Post by Patriot1208 » Thu Aug 19, 2010 1:27 pm

Danteshek wrote:
vanwinkle wrote:
Exactly. That is why he should attend a school with a long record of producing entertainment lawyers (like Southwestern).
I didn't know southwestern had a long record of even producing employed lawyers?.....

1ferret!

Bronze

Post by 1ferret! » Thu Aug 19, 2010 1:55 pm

Bildungsroman wrote:

You are clearly suffering from the delusion that he was trying to make you laugh or be helpful.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

vanwinkle

Platinum

Post by vanwinkle » Thu Aug 19, 2010 1:59 pm

Danteshek wrote:
vanwinkle wrote:
"Exactly"? You initially made it sound like curriculum was a good reason to choose Southwestern as a school. (You also brought up being able to take Copyright as a 1L, as if that matters. Hint: It doesn't, not one bit.) Southwestern would be a good choice if you wanted to be in LA and couldn't get into a better school, but it's not something anyone should target as a first choice for entertainment law.

Chuch

New

Post by Chuch » Thu Aug 19, 2010 2:11 pm

Ari Gold went to Mich, fwiw.

clintonius

Silver

Post by clintonius » Thu Aug 19, 2010 2:25 pm

And the person the character is based on (both of whom are agents, not entertainment lawyers, per se) did not go to law school.

Danteshek

Gold

Post by Danteshek » Fri Aug 20, 2010 12:30 am

VanWinkle: plenty of people choose SW because of entertainment law. I know because I have met them. Contrary to what you might think, the education (curriculum) you receive actually matters. Employers want to hire people who actually know how the entertainment industry works. I'm not sure why you think you are more qualified on this point than I am.

There is a lot of misinformation flying around on this board.
Last edited by Danteshek on Fri Aug 20, 2010 12:44 am, edited 2 times in total.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”