university of houston law ranking Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
texag08

New

university of houston law ranking

Post by texag08 » Mon Aug 02, 2010 5:35 pm

Just received a memo from the school which showed that the median for lsat and gpa jumped to 164 and 3.51 respectively. Does this mean that they will get a bump in the new set of rankings that come out??

I know that other schools received more apps this year and that should correllate with an increase in lsat and gpa, but I feel like the texas schools should do even better than out of state peers. The texas economy fared the recession better than most states and firms in texas have only 3 (ut smu uh) tier 1 schools in state(though you can argue for baylor. I am sure that applicants took notice of this fact.

Thoughts?

jmhendri

Silver

Re: university of houston law ranking

Post by jmhendri » Mon Aug 02, 2010 5:43 pm

nope.

Matthies

Silver

Post by Matthies » Mon Aug 02, 2010 5:58 pm

texag08 wrote:Just received a memo from the school which showed that the median for lsat and gpa jumped to 164 and 3.51 respectively. Does this mean that they will get a bump in the new set of rankings that come out??

I know that other schools received more apps this year and that should correllate with an increase in lsat and gpa, but I feel like the texas schools should do even better than out of state peers. The texas economy fared the recession better than most states and firms in texas have only 3 (ut smu uh) tier 1 schools in state(though you can argue for baylor. I am sure that applicants took notice of this fact.

Thoughts?
Even if they went up or down, even 20 spots, would make very little diffrence for the averegae student at Huoston or any other school that pretty much has a home market right outside the door. New firms that never interviewed or hired form there won't statr, and old firms that did won't stop. national rankings don't mean much for regional schools that have a long history in the region. Don't worry about it, won't affect your options and will likley be a diffrent rank when you graduate anyway.

gdane

Diamond

Post by gdane » Mon Aug 02, 2010 9:02 pm

Forget about rankings! Good lord, I wish people would stop caring so much. Outside of the top 14 (actually now its quite possibly the top 10), rankings matter very little. Law schools are mainly regional and like Matthies said Houston could go up 20 spots and it wouldnt matter.

Go to Houston because you want to. DONT go there with the promise or make the assumption that there will be a rankings boost. It wont matter.

Good luck!

Grizz

Diamond

Post by Grizz » Mon Aug 02, 2010 9:17 pm

Doesn't matter.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Diamond

Post by 20160810 » Tue Aug 03, 2010 5:52 am

A 4-point LSAT median boost, if this is true, is likely to goose up the ranking a bit, no question. The best you can realistically hope for IMO is for UH to maintain these types of #s for a few years and go in general perception from "3rd best in TX" to "About tied with SMU for 2nd-best."

el jefe

New

Post by el jefe » Tue Aug 03, 2010 9:15 am

It just means a statistically higher quality of competition for us heading there this year than experienced in the previous years. :cry:

nealric

Post by nealric » Tue Aug 03, 2010 9:32 am

Forget about rankings! Good lord, I wish people would stop caring so much. Outside of the top 14 (actually now its quite possibly the top 10)
Good grief. :roll:

Northwestern actually placed better than several T10 schools last year. The T10 isn't even a static category. To suggest that Northewestern (or the other T14) is just a regional school to be considered in par with T3s is absurd.

That said, it won't matter whether UH is in the Top 30 or barely the top 100. It will still be the best school in Houston- the market it competes in.

sophia.olive

Silver

Post by sophia.olive » Tue Aug 03, 2010 9:55 am

One day rankings will realize what a wonderful school Houston is.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

texag08

New

Post by texag08 » Tue Aug 03, 2010 10:56 am

Are you a student at uh Sophia?

sophia.olive

Silver

Post by sophia.olive » Tue Aug 03, 2010 11:31 am

No im not. But my sister graduated from UT and said that for texas and the areas shes been, houston is great. People like uh grads for some reason and i guess she has been competing in the market with them. Though that is not a lot of evidence...lol. Houston is my very very safe school. And i would go there if they gave me a full ride and some other schools didnt accept me, but im also tired of texas and houston is humid.

I would go there before i went to smu, but that might be just because i live in dallas and know a bunch you dedman students.
University of Houston is in an incredible market, by itself.

gdane

Diamond

Post by gdane » Tue Aug 03, 2010 3:50 pm

nealric wrote:
Forget about rankings! Good lord, I wish people would stop caring so much. Outside of the top 14 (actually now its quite possibly the top 10)
Good grief. :roll:

Northwestern actually placed better than several T10 schools last year. The T10 isn't even a static category. To suggest that Northewestern (or the other T14) is just a regional school to be considered in par with T3s is absurd.

That said, it won't matter whether UH is in the Top 30 or barely the top 100. It will still be the best school in Houston- the market it competes in.
Well I was exaggerating. You know more than I do. The point of my statement was to illustrate that UH jumping up in ranking wouldnt matter unless it was jumping up to the top 14-10 range, which sure as hell isnt happening.

Burgstaller04

Silver

Post by Burgstaller04 » Tue Aug 03, 2010 6:30 pm

sophia.olive wrote: University of Houston is in an incredible market, by itself.
all alone...except --LinkRemoved--.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Diamond

Post by 20160810 » Tue Aug 03, 2010 7:05 pm

Burgstaller04 wrote:
sophia.olive wrote: University of Houston is in an incredible market, by itself.
all alone...except --LinkRemoved--.
So, all alone then.

NoJob

Bronze

Post by NoJob » Tue Aug 10, 2010 1:40 pm

texag08 wrote:Just received a memo from the school which showed that the median for lsat and gpa jumped to 164 and 3.51 respectively. Does this mean that they will get a bump in the new set of rankings that come out??

Thoughts?
Just dont go. Seriously, unless you have a job offer already or you have a free ride that is not conditioned on performance, don't f--k up your life.

texag08

New

Post by texag08 » Wed Aug 11, 2010 10:02 pm

What do you base that on? Employment prospects for UH grads are strong in Houston. That is where i want to work.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Return to “Choosing a Law School”