Michigan (Sticker) vs ND ($21K) Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

Michigan (Sticker) vs ND ($21K)

Michigan
96%
Notre Dame
4%

Total votes: 70

clint4law

Silver

Michigan (Sticker) vs ND ($21K)

Post by clint4law » Mon Aug 02, 2010 5:27 pm

Want to end up practicing in Chicago. I'm still on Michigan's waitlist and was wondering if it's worth waiting it out. Notre Dame would cost me $21,000 plus housing....Michigan would be sticker.

wolverine2014

Bronze

Re: Michigan (Sticker) vs ND ($21K)

Post by wolverine2014 » Mon Aug 02, 2010 5:33 pm

I just sent you a PM...you probably know how I voted though.

General Tso

Gold

Post by General Tso » Mon Aug 02, 2010 5:33 pm

have you heard about OCI attendance at ND this year?

dakatz

Gold

Post by dakatz » Mon Aug 02, 2010 5:35 pm

You are saying ND would be 21K a year? or total? If its 21K a year, I'd go with Michigan.

czelede

Silver

Post by czelede » Mon Aug 02, 2010 5:36 pm

dakatz wrote:You are saying ND would be 21K a year? or total? If its 21K a year, I'd go with Michigan.
If it's 21k total, I would still go with Michigan. Incomparable schools ITE. Plus, Ann Arbor > South Bend.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

clint4law

Silver

Post by clint4law » Mon Aug 02, 2010 5:38 pm

dakatz wrote:You are saying ND would be 21K a year? or total? If its 21K a year, I'd go with Michigan.
$21K a year

dakatz

Gold

Post by dakatz » Mon Aug 02, 2010 5:39 pm

czelede wrote:
If it's 21k total, I would still go with Michigan. Incomparable schools ITE. Plus, Ann Arbor > South Bend.
21K in total debt vs. 180K (probably more) in debt is not such a clear cut decision. Were not talking a T14 vs some TTT school.

Edit: Saw that its 21K a year. Then my vote is definitely Michigan

clint4law

Silver

Post by clint4law » Mon Aug 02, 2010 5:40 pm

czelede wrote:
"incomparable"?....are they really in different leagues?

dakatz

Gold

Post by dakatz » Mon Aug 02, 2010 5:45 pm

clint4law wrote:
czelede wrote:
People on this site, while their views are typically based on tangible evidence, tend to overemphasize or dramatize certain things (at the same time they minimize things that shouldn't be minimized i.e. huge loads of debt). Yes, there is a big difference between the two schools in terms of employment prospects, but don't think of the comparison like a top tier school vs a bottomfeeder school.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

wolverine2014

Bronze

Post by wolverine2014 » Mon Aug 02, 2010 6:00 pm

dakatz wrote:
clint4law wrote:
czelede wrote:
People on this site, while their views are typically based on tangible evidence, tend to overemphasize or dramatize certain things (at the same time they minimize things that shouldn't be minimized i.e. huge loads of debt). Yes, there is a big difference between the two schools in terms of employment prospects, but don't think of the comparison like a top tier school vs a bottomfeeder school.
I agree but ND at $21K is quite a bit of debt. The difference between ND and Michigan over 3 years still makes this decision a no brainer IMO.

clint4law

Silver

Post by clint4law » Mon Aug 02, 2010 6:33 pm

General Tso wrote:have you heard about OCI attendance at ND this year?
can anyone provide OCI data for both schools?

ZachOda

Bronze

Post by ZachOda » Mon Aug 02, 2010 6:35 pm

Well OP, what do you want to practice? Will you taking out loans to pay for ND (or Michigan for that matter) or do you have any financial support? If you don't get Chicago, are there secondary markets you would consider?
I feel that these are questions that if answered, will help in making your decision.

By the way, Tso, what is the OCI situation at ND?

dresden doll

Platinum

Post by dresden doll » Mon Aug 02, 2010 6:41 pm

The dismal data that has leaked with respect to ND's OCI strongly suggests that it deserves to be classed as a TTT. Who the hell cares about its ranking if it places less than 10 percent into V100 firms.

I'd pray to get off Michigan's WL.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

clint4law

Silver

Post by clint4law » Mon Aug 02, 2010 6:46 pm

dresden doll wrote:The dismal data that has leaked with respect to ND's OCI strongly suggests that it deserves to be classed as a TTT. Who the hell cares about its ranking if it places less than 10 percent into V100 firms.

so if I don't get off the WL, you think I should withdraw from ND and retake the LSAT?

clint4law

Silver

Post by clint4law » Mon Aug 02, 2010 6:47 pm

ZachOda wrote:Well OP, what do you want to practice? Will you taking out loans to pay for ND (or Michigan for that matter) or do you have any financial support? If you don't get Chicago, are there secondary markets you would consider?
I feel that these are questions that if answered, will help in making your decision.

By the way, Tso, what is the OCI situation at ND?
I'm not quite sure what I want to practice. I do know however that I want to end up working in Chicago.....not interested in any other market.

dresden doll

Platinum

Post by dresden doll » Mon Aug 02, 2010 6:48 pm

clint4law wrote:
dresden doll wrote:The dismal data that has leaked with respect to ND's OCI strongly suggests that it deserves to be classed as a TTT. Who the hell cares about its ranking if it places less than 10 percent into V100 firms.

so if I don't get off the WL, you think I should withdraw from ND and retake the LSAT?
Yes, I do. I know it's probably not what you want to hear but it would probably be in your best interest to do so.

clint4law

Silver

Post by clint4law » Mon Aug 02, 2010 6:50 pm

dresden doll wrote:
clint4law wrote:

Yes, I do. I know it's probably not what you want to hear but it would probably be in your best interest to do so.
thanks...that's some tough love.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

dresden doll

Platinum

Post by dresden doll » Mon Aug 02, 2010 6:51 pm

clint4law wrote:
dresden doll wrote:Yes, I do. I know it's probably not what you want to hear but it would probably be in your best interest to do so.
Apologies if I have offended you. ND just happens to have been hit particularly hard, and I don't think it's worth the money at this point in time.

clint4law

Silver

Post by clint4law » Mon Aug 02, 2010 6:58 pm

dresden doll wrote:
clint4law wrote:
dresden doll wrote:Yes, I do. I know it's probably not what you want to hear but it would probably be in your best interest to do so.
Apologies if I have offended you. ND just happens to have been hit particularly hard, and I don't think it's worth the money at this point in time.
none taken...I'd rather hear it now than in 2013 with $100K+ in debt and no job. Will keep fingers crossed for Michigan.

General Tso

Gold

Post by General Tso » Mon Aug 02, 2010 7:01 pm

agree with this sentiment, also agree with NYAssociate's appraisal of your writing style

dresden doll

Platinum

Post by dresden doll » Mon Aug 02, 2010 7:47 pm

General Tso wrote:

agree with this sentiment, also agree with NYAssociate's appraisal of your writing style
You do know that no one really gives a shit what you think about my writing style, right?

Anyway.

OP, check out the Legal Employment thread where people leaked their OCI info. Hopefully, you will find some the those posts useful.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

clint4law

Silver

Post by clint4law » Mon Aug 02, 2010 8:49 pm

dresden doll wrote:
General Tso wrote:

You do know that no one really gives a shit what you think about my writing style, right?

Anyway.

OP, check out the Legal Employment thread where people leaked their OCI info. Hopefully, you will find some the those posts useful.
thanks

ZachOda

Bronze

Post by ZachOda » Tue Aug 03, 2010 12:41 pm

Go Michigan. Contact them and tell them that they remain your top choice, may help your cause

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”