Stanford at sticker or UCLA with $$$ Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
accidental1L

New

Stanford at sticker or UCLA with $$$

Post by accidental1L » Sat Jul 31, 2010 12:13 am

This is a no-brainer, right?

I ask because Stanford didn't accept me until this evening and I've already signed a lease and moved into an apartment near UCLA. This makes going to Stanford very inconvenient on top of much more expensive. I don't know yet how much need-based aid I might qualify for at Stanford but I'm guessing not much.

My gut says to terminate my lease and head to Stanford with a suitcase if I have to and my family agrees. However, they are not lawyers or experts in law school rankings. You guys are, so I wouldn't mind a second opinion to confirm I'm doing the right thing.

Thanks in advance!

creamedcats

Bronze

Re: Stanford at sticker or UCLA with $$$

Post by creamedcats » Sat Jul 31, 2010 12:27 am

...Stanford. Yes. It IS a no-brainer.

dakatz

Gold

Post by dakatz » Sat Jul 31, 2010 12:29 am

I'm one of the most debt-averse people on this board and I wholeheartedly agree that Stanford is the right choice. It is right up there on par with Harvard and Yale, and on the west coast, you absolutely cannot do better. The career-spanning benefits of going there will almost certainly outweigh the extra costs you will incur now. Good luck and congrats.

accidental1L

New

Post by accidental1L » Sat Jul 31, 2010 12:34 am

Appreciating the feedback. I spent so much time wrestling with this type of decision back in May because I'm very debt-averse myself.

It's true that it would be a mistake to blow off this opportunity.

I'm not looking forward to packing again, I barely finished unpacking this week. Bleh. I'm lucky that Stanford starts later than UCLA so I have some time to move.

Knock

Platinum

Post by Knock » Sat Jul 31, 2010 12:37 am

accidental1L wrote:This is a no-brainer, right?

I ask because Stanford didn't accept me until this evening and I've already signed a lease and moved into an apartment near UCLA. This makes going to Stanford very inconvenient on top of much more expensive. I don't know yet how much need-based aid I might qualify for at Stanford but I'm guessing not much.

My gut says to terminate my lease and head to Stanford with a suitcase if I have to and my family agrees. However, they are not lawyers or experts in law school rankings. You guys are, so I wouldn't mind a second opinion to confirm I'm doing the right thing.

Thanks in advance!
Agreed. You will easily recoup the expensive of canceling a lease and moving with your SLS degree! Congratulations and good luck! It must be tough to do this at the last moment but I agree it will be well worth it, but that is a short, temporary pain for a much larger, long-term gain. Go to SLS and don't look back.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

thecilent

Gold

Post by thecilent » Sat Jul 31, 2010 12:40 am

Congrats!

Knock

Platinum

Post by Knock » Sat Jul 31, 2010 12:40 am

thecilent wrote:Congrats!
Seconded. You must be one of the last people to get in, you lucky dog! :mrgreen:

accidental1L

New

Post by accidental1L » Sat Jul 31, 2010 12:42 am

Thanks to everyone who is responding! I'm alternately thrilled and terrified, but your enthusiasm is very reassuring.

legends159

Silver

Post by legends159 » Sat Jul 31, 2010 12:51 am

Walk in housing at munger. law students get priority and new students get more priority. you will get housing at munger.

In the meantime, get temporary housing through stanford for 46 a night: http://www.stanford.edu/dept/rde/scs/in ... index.html

And yes this is a no-brainer.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

accidental1L

New

Post by accidental1L » Sat Jul 31, 2010 1:05 am

Thanks for the heads up, legends. I was told that housing was full but that I did have priority and I'd find out by August 11th. I didn't know about the temporary housing option.

Amelie

Silver

Post by Amelie » Sat Jul 31, 2010 1:06 am

legends159 wrote:Walk in housing at munger. law students get priority and new students get more priority. you will get housing at munger.

In the meantime, get temporary housing through stanford for 46 a night: http://www.stanford.edu/dept/rde/scs/in ... index.html

And yes this is a no-brainer.
Sorry to hijack a bit, but in your experience WL admits have been placed in Munger? I was a WL admit, and have put myself on the housing WL, but I've really been stressing over whether I need to start looking at sublets because housing won't tell me my chances.

And OP I'm in the same boat and decided to attend. It's very overwhelming, but definitely worth it!

accidental1L

New

Post by accidental1L » Sat Jul 31, 2010 1:21 am

Thanks Amelie! Yes, it's pretty nerve wracking. I'll keep my fingers crossed for both of us to get on campus housing. Congratulations on your admission.

legends159

Silver

Post by legends159 » Sat Jul 31, 2010 1:28 pm

i know a bunch of people who did walk-in and got housing at munger--they were either transfers or WL admits. Catch is that you have to be a single student. Housing for couples is tough at munger.

stop stressing there's a lot of housing at munger b/c they have a whole building that no one occupies over the summer (it's used for conferences) and they look to fill it in the fall and you guys get priority over everyone else.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Diamond

Post by 20160810 » Sat Jul 31, 2010 4:03 pm

I was in a very similar situation (OK, your situation is way more awesome, I go to UCD and got into USC the day before classes started when I'd already signed a lease) and chose to stay at the lower-ranked school, largely due to convenience. I've made a lot of wonderful friends here, I love Davis, and I'm glad that I go to school here, but the cold hard reality is that ITE I probably made the wrong choice.

Go to Stanford, unless you want to do public interest, in which case I'd take the money.

blink

Bronze

Post by blink » Sat Jul 31, 2010 4:39 pm

SoftBoiledLife wrote:I was in a very similar situation (OK, your situation is way more awesome, I go to UCD and got into USC the day before classes started when I'd already signed a lease) and chose to stay at the lower-ranked school, largely due to convenience. I've made a lot of wonderful friends here, I love Davis, and I'm glad that I go to school here, but the cold hard reality is that ITE I probably made the wrong choice.

Go to Stanford, unless you want to do public interest, in which case I'd take the money.

:shock:
The night before??? Is that the lastest a school could admit you? Why do they wait this long?

CanadianWolf

Diamond

Post by CanadianWolf » Sat Jul 31, 2010 4:40 pm

Some law schools admit students after orientation & during the first week of classes.

Thomas Jefferson

Bronze

Post by Thomas Jefferson » Sat Jul 31, 2010 5:13 pm

creamedcats wrote:...Stanford. Yes. It IS a no-brainer.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Kretzy

Silver

Post by Kretzy » Sat Jul 31, 2010 5:24 pm

SoftBoiledLife wrote:I was in a very similar situation (OK, your situation is way more awesome, I go to UCD and got into USC the day before classes started when I'd already signed a lease) and chose to stay at the lower-ranked school, largely due to convenience. I've made a lot of wonderful friends here, I love Davis, and I'm glad that I go to school here, but the cold hard reality is that ITE I probably made the wrong choice.

Probably trolling a bit here, but I'd go to SLS especially if you want to do public interest. All the talk about Stanford's excellent LRAP is really true; it's a really generous program. The placement advantages are real, and there's a VERY large public interest community at the school (almost 20% of rising 3Ls have committed to public interest post-graduation, according to friends in that class).

Come to SLS. Become a troll for it like the rest of us who've decided to take the plunge!

accidental1L

New

Post by accidental1L » Sat Jul 31, 2010 7:35 pm

I'm most likely not going to do public interest anyway, my background is in finance (though I don't know, I really am an accidental 1L).

I'm pretty much set on going to Stanford, even though it will be a big pain in the butt to be there in time geographically.

I appreciate all the feedback, it makes me feel much more positive about my choice.

Durhamdude

New

Post by Durhamdude » Sun Aug 01, 2010 1:32 pm

Stanford for sure. UCLA is going downhill quick

irie

Bronze

Post by irie » Sun Aug 01, 2010 1:36 pm

accidental1L wrote:
I'm pretty much set on going to Stanford, even though it will be a big pain in the butt to be there in time geographically.

thank god...

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

adamdroog

New

Post by adamdroog » Sun Aug 01, 2010 2:23 pm

accidental1L wrote:I'm most likely not going to do public interest anyway, my background is in finance (though I don't know, I really am an accidental 1L).

I appreciate all the feedback, it makes me feel much more positive about my choice.

Congratulations on Stanford.

I am currently on the waitlist at UCLA. Thank you for opening up a spot and giving the waitlist people a little hope.

BeautifulSW

Silver

Post by BeautifulSW » Sun Aug 01, 2010 7:40 pm

Gosh. Stanford really IS as good as it gets and it's essentially alone in the legal stratosphere of the West Coast. Nevertheless, I'd opt for UCLA. Yeah, yeah, I know, but I'd just rather spend three miserable, expensive years in LA than in the (much more expensive) Bay Area. Palo Alto? What's in Palo Alto? And don't just blow off the money difference. Debt has long term consequences.

And if you got into Stanford, you'll probably blow the curve at UCLA Law so your career options might not be much better coming out of Stanford.

Knock

Platinum

Post by Knock » Sun Aug 01, 2010 7:44 pm

BeautifulSW wrote:Gosh. Stanford really IS as good as it gets and it's essentially alone in the legal stratosphere of the West Coast. Nevertheless, I'd opt for UCLA. Yeah, yeah, I know, but I'd just rather spend three miserable, expensive years in LA than in the (much more expensive) Bay Area. Palo Alto? What's in Palo Alto? And don't just blow off the money difference. Debt has long term consequences.

And if you got into Stanford, you'll probably blow the curve at UCLA Law so your career options might not be much better coming out of Stanford.
Disagree. Go to Stanford. They don't use traditional grading, just H/P, so there's a lot less pressure on you. From what I've heard, LS grading can be seemingly arbitrary. Plus Stanford is pretty much a paradise. I would easily sell my (non-existent) first, second, and third born to attend school there.

Stanford has a strong LRAP program and also has great job prospects. Since Stanford has the smallest classes out of any T14, only 170 students, their grads are in strong demand. Additionally a significant portion (~20% i've heard tosses around) chooses to go into public-interest work, plus another portion gets clerkships, so there really is much less competition for biglaw, and it seems that anyone who wants it can get it.

Kretzy

Silver

Post by Kretzy » Sun Aug 01, 2010 8:10 pm

Knockglock wrote:
BeautifulSW wrote:Gosh. Stanford really IS as good as it gets and it's essentially alone in the legal stratosphere of the West Coast. Nevertheless, I'd opt for UCLA. Yeah, yeah, I know, but I'd just rather spend three miserable, expensive years in LA than in the (much more expensive) Bay Area. Palo Alto? What's in Palo Alto? And don't just blow off the money difference. Debt has long term consequences.

Disagree. Go to Stanford. They don't use traditional grading, just H/P, so there's a lot less pressure on you. From what I've heard, LS grading can be seemingly arbitrary. Plus Stanford is pretty much a paradise. I would easily sell my (non-existent) first, second, and third born to attend school there.

Stanford has a strong LRAP program and also has great job prospects. Since Stanford has the smallest classes out of any T14, only 170 students, their grads are in strong demand. Additionally a significant portion (~20% i've heard tosses around) chooses to go into public-interest work, plus another portion gets clerkships, so there really is much less competition for biglaw, and it seems that anyone who wants it can get it.
This. I love UCLA, but there's a huge employment difference in this economy. Being above the 75ths doesn't guarantee "beating the curve," as folks have made clear on here over and over again. *Correct me if I'm wrong* BUT even if you're bottom 10% at SLS, as long as you can get AT LEAST 1 H, things seem to be fine when it comes to finding a firm gig.

Look, nothing is a guarantee, even HYS. The debt is worth the level of security they provide though, I think.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”