Law School Rankings: A new perspective Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
BroCHILLOUT

New

Law School Rankings: A new perspective

Post by BroCHILLOUT » Fri Jul 23, 2010 3:50 am

http://www.superlawyers.com/toplists/la ... ates/2010/

What do you all think about this new ranking system for law schools? It's not based on LSAT/GPA but instead how well these respective law school's graduates fair after graduation.

IAFG

Platinum

Re: Law School Rankings: A new perspective

Post by IAFG » Fri Jul 23, 2010 3:52 am

who the fuck is superlawyers to define success

BroCHILLOUT

New

Post by BroCHILLOUT » Fri Jul 23, 2010 3:54 am

bro chill out ---- their selection process, etc ->

http://www.superlawyers.com/about/selec ... ocess.html

MisterBragi

New

Post by MisterBragi » Fri Jul 23, 2010 4:37 am

Last edited by MisterBragi on Thu Aug 19, 2010 10:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

rdcws000

Bronze

Post by rdcws000 » Fri Jul 23, 2010 9:14 am

I agree with you completely that the picture is very incomplete without taking class size into account, but I don't know if I consider this:
Another issue this study fails to take into account is that some schools, like Texas and Minnesota (and, to a lesser extent, Michigan) completely dominate their home markets, with far fewer graduates from other top schools practicing there. This means that those schools have an inordinate advantage in producing SuperLawyers
to be a valid objection. In my mind one of the elements the USNWR rankings lack is consideration of regional power. I believe this is highly relevant to the ranking of a law school. I think one of the key criteria people should consider when choosing a law school is that school's access to a viable market, as well as the USNWR criteria.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Case2L

Bronze

Post by Case2L » Fri Jul 23, 2010 10:09 am

Great ranking system. Case is back in the top 50, and apparently better than WUSTL, W&M, W&L, etc. It's a bird, it's a plane...it's Super Lawyers! I'm guessing their kryptonite is the real world.

vanwinkle

Platinum

Post by vanwinkle » Fri Jul 23, 2010 10:10 am

Case2L wrote:Great ranking system. Case is back in the top 50, and apparently better than WUSTL, W&M, W&L, etc. It's a bird, it's a plane...it's Super Lawyers! I'm guessing their kryptonite is the real world.
:lol: Well played.

onthemoney

New

Post by onthemoney » Fri Jul 23, 2010 10:26 am

Why would these rankings be so bad? If these super lawyers are hiring from their alma maters, then in terms of employment prospects these rankings are legit. What's the problem with that?

vanwinkle

Platinum

Post by vanwinkle » Fri Jul 23, 2010 10:28 am

onthemoney wrote:Why would these rankings be so bad? If these super lawyers are hiring from their alma maters, then in terms of employment prospects these rankings are legit. What's the problem with that?
Because it distorts the power of schools with large classes. Twice as many people being hired from your school isn't better if there are twice as many people at your school. Your odds even out.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Kobe_Teeth

Silver

Post by Kobe_Teeth » Fri Jul 23, 2010 10:32 am

I feel like this dude created this account, "BroCHILLOUT" so he could rile up some TLS'ers with the mail he just received from suck-ass school that is usually ranked #TTTT but on SuperLawyers is actually ranked #101 (or thereabouts).

So....I'm gonna go ahead and say...let's hope OP's real persona is not going to said school and is just doing this merely to FLAME!

BTW...why do people do this? It seriously makes no sense. Lamest shit ever.

Kobe_Teeth

Silver

Post by Kobe_Teeth » Fri Jul 23, 2010 10:33 am

BroCHILLOUT wrote:bro chill out ---- their selection process, etc ->

http://www.superlawyers.com/about/selec ... ocess.html
BroGETALIFE

Chuch

New

Post by Chuch » Fri Jul 23, 2010 10:55 am

MisterBragi wrote: Another issue this study fails to take into account is that some schools, like Yale (and, to a lesser extent, Harvard) completely dominate their home markets, with far fewer graduates from other top schools practicing there. This means that those schools have an inordinate advantage in producing SuperLawyers (lawyers who rise to the top of their practice areas, in their home states) than, say, a school like NYU, whose graduates mostly end up in the NYC legal market, competing with Columbia graduates, and graduates of every other top school, for those coveted top spots. (Obviously, I love NYU, and don't want to be called out for not loving NYU enough or too much, but my point is still valid anyway)
FIXED.

Bildungsroman

Platinum

Post by Bildungsroman » Fri Jul 23, 2010 11:00 am

8 University of Florida Levin College of Law
:lol:

Also, why would we accept rankings from a magazine so devoid of shame that it woukd unironically name itself "Super Lawyers"?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

onthemoney

New

Post by onthemoney » Fri Jul 23, 2010 11:40 am

vanwinkle wrote:
onthemoney wrote:Why would these rankings be so bad? If these super lawyers are hiring from their alma maters, then in terms of employment prospects these rankings are legit. What's the problem with that?
Because it distorts the power of schools with large classes. Twice as many people being hired from your school isn't better if there are twice as many people at your school. Your odds even out.
Even if there are more people in an alums school - who's to say their hiring power is now diminished. Simply put they have more people in hiring positions. And people who hire can hire as many people as they wish.
Last edited by onthemoney on Fri Jul 23, 2010 12:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

1000bmr

New

Post by 1000bmr » Fri Jul 23, 2010 11:47 am

2010 Super Lawyers U.S. Law School Rankings wrote:3 The University of Texas School of Law
Seems legit.

BroCHILLOUT

New

Post by BroCHILLOUT » Fri Jul 23, 2010 12:51 pm

Some of you are just mad that the schools that you all are attending right now are being knocked down and that's ok. Reality hurts. A ranking system is a ranking system, none are perfect. You can undoubtedly name a few major flaws with your precious US news report. The more lawyers your school pulls out the more alumni you have. The more alumni you have that succeed and receive high merits, the more the school will be known. If Cornell (great school) graduates 200 students and goes to a harvard owned firm... the harvard owned firm will higher the harvard grad with the same numbers... and the cycle goes on for every other school. So in a way law school size does dictate in some way the overall ability to succeed. If Cornell was that good then all 200 would make super lawyers right? But they aren't all that good.

BroCHILLOUT

New

Post by BroCHILLOUT » Fri Jul 23, 2010 12:57 pm

Bildungsroman wrote:

Also, why would we accept rankings from a magazine so devoid of shame that it woukd unironically name itself "Super Lawyers"?

So you would gladly take in crap from a magazine claiming to be news

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

clintonius

Silver

Post by clintonius » Fri Jul 23, 2010 1:07 pm

brochillout = mr bragi?

Bildungsroman

Platinum

Post by Bildungsroman » Fri Jul 23, 2010 1:25 pm

BroCHILLOUT wrote:
Bildungsroman wrote:

These rankings you are touting place UFlorida above Yale, UC Hastings above UPenn and UChi, and GW above Stanford and Northwestern, all of which is ridiculous without even having to get into the relative merits of the USN&WR ranking system. Super Lawyer's rankings are more worthless than tits on a bull.

hth

Voyager

Silver

Post by Voyager » Fri Jul 23, 2010 1:28 pm

Any ranking system that does not have Yale as the number 1 school is simply absurd. EVERYONE recognizes the top quality of its students and the very top quality of the employment prospects.

Regionality

Silver

Post by Regionality » Fri Jul 23, 2010 1:36 pm

BroCHILLOUT wrote:Some of you are just mad that the schools that you all are attending right now are being knocked down and that's ok. Reality hurts. A ranking system is a ranking system, none are perfect. You can undoubtedly name a few major flaws with your precious US news report. The more lawyers your school pulls out the more alumni you have. The more alumni you have that succeed and receive high merits, the more the school will be known. If Cornell (great school) graduates 200 students and goes to a harvard owned firm... the harvard owned firm will higher the harvard grad with the same numbers... and the cycle goes on for every other school. So in a way law school size does dictate in some way the overall ability to succeed. If Cornell was that good then all 200 would make super lawyers right? But they aren't all that good.
There are two gaping flaws in your argument....

1) A school with twice the class size has twice as many alums, but also twice as many students each year trying to tap into that alumni base for jobs. SO in essence this doesn't change the help your alumni base will give you because the ratio of alums to grads is the same.

Furthermore...

2) If School X graduates 400 grads per year, and School Y graduates 200, it is very possible that while School X has a larger alumni base, they also care a lot less about every goddamn alum that comes knocking on their door asking for a job.

Great example: Compare Hastings to Washington and Lee. Equivalently ranked schools, but W&L (classes ~140 students) is notorious for loyal alums who will actually try to help out graduating students. Hastings alums get 500 students per year, all of whom want jobs in SF, knocking on their door asking for a job in San Francisco. If I were a Hastings alum I would stop caring very quickly about the flood of grads asking for help.

More alums does not equal more job opportunities nor should it mean a higher ranked/viewed school.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

holydonkey

Silver

Post by holydonkey » Fri Jul 23, 2010 1:52 pm

Voyager wrote:Any ranking system that does not have Yale as the number 1 school is simply absurd. EVERYONE recognizes the top quality of its students and the very top quality of the employment prospects.

BroCHILLOUT

New

Post by BroCHILLOUT » Fri Jul 23, 2010 2:09 pm

holydonkey wrote:
Voyager wrote:Any ranking system that does not have Yale as the number 1 school is simply absurd. EVERYONE recognizes the top quality of its students and the very top quality of the employment prospects.

Yes, I'm sure "EVERYONE" feels that way... you are wrong, sir.

BroCHILLOUT

New

Post by BroCHILLOUT » Fri Jul 23, 2010 2:14 pm

Bildungsroman wrote:
BroCHILLOUT wrote:
Bildungsroman wrote:

These rankings you are touting place UFlorida above Yale, UC Hastings above UPenn and UChi, and GW above Stanford and Northwestern, all of which is ridiculous without even having to get into the relative merits of the USN&WR ranking system. Super Lawyer's rankings are more worthless than tits on a bull.

hth
I see a few of you are having trouble understanding/accepting/recognizing a new system. That's what usually happens I dont blame anyone. Adaptation guys.

Bronte

Gold

Post by Bronte » Fri Jul 23, 2010 2:38 pm

This is a pretty well-devised flame. You're just playing it up too much.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”