how many applications is too many?? Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
Stanford4Me

Platinum

Re: how many applications is too many??

Post by Stanford4Me » Wed Jul 14, 2010 12:37 am

rad law wrote:
eandy wrote:You have applied to too many schools once you have applications to schools you would not actually go to and/or have no chance of getting into.
lol wut

scgoaliface32

New

Post by scgoaliface32 » Wed Jul 14, 2010 1:17 am

DoubleChecks wrote:
ikari_ningen wrote:--ImageRemoved--
aw man, not enough law school applicants watch anime haha i lol'd at this, but it would have been better as a voice-over on a short vid clip
haha yea, It's the fact that I could hear it perfectly in my head that killed me.

Diamond

Post by 20160810 » Wed Jul 14, 2010 3:31 am

If you get a fee waiver, go for it. If you're paying the $80+, then don't apply anywhere you'd never go.

aPosseAdEsse

Bronze

Post by aPosseAdEsse » Wed Jul 14, 2010 3:41 am

I say apply to between 15-30 depending on your confidence/target range/$ for apps.

I applied to over 20, and like A'nold I ended up having to choose one that was from the beginning just a safety afterthought. Glad I applied ($$$$)

northwood

Platinum

Post by northwood » Wed Jul 14, 2010 9:03 pm

question: WHen wouold be a good idea to start writing the extra essays/ I am currently prepping for the October LSAT and using my off day to work on my personal statement? SHould I wait until after the october test ( and the celebration) and start OCtober 11th, or wait until I get my score back.
Thanks yall

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Barbie

Gold

Post by Barbie » Wed Jul 14, 2010 9:05 pm

northwood wrote:question: WHen wouold be a good idea to start writing the extra essays/ I am currently prepping for the October LSAT and using my off day to work on my personal statement? SHould I wait until after the october test ( and the celebration) and start OCtober 11th, or wait until I get my score back.
Thanks yall
I'm not retaking so I already have my score, but I've already started working on them. It depends on when you want to have your apps out by. I want mine out on day 1, so sep 1/oct 1, so I've already started. I printed out all the requirements for each school I'm applying to in one document, and grouped them together by what kind of PS they want. I've been working on them on my time off, and will continue to. I plan to be finished around early August, which is when I will post them here, take the criticism, and re-work them. Toward end of August make final post for corrections, and then do last changes.
Thats my plan, so I recommend making one that works with your time schedule. Don't need your LSAT to write your PS though...

Cleareyes

Bronze

Post by Cleareyes » Wed Jul 14, 2010 9:27 pm

SoftBoiledLife wrote:If you get a fee waiver, go for it. If you're paying the $80+, then don't apply anywhere you'd never go.
Paying $12 to apply somewhere you wouldn't go still doesn't seem like it makes sense.

Then again I did apply to Santa Clara. but that was a combination of wanting to see how the LSAC system worked and wanting an EXTREME safety.

I kind of regret it.

On the other hand I don't regret my high targets. almost didn't apply to the school I am at. I would say if there's a school you want to attend and have a chance at, even relatively low (though not miniscule) it's worth popping an app to.

P.S. Retake is probably correct answer.

Grizz

Diamond

Post by Grizz » Wed Jul 14, 2010 9:30 pm

Cleareyes wrote: P.S. Retake is probably correct answer.
We've been telling her this on multiple threads, but she won't. UGA is her dream school, and she has a 163. She won't reake for the 1 extra point.

eandy

Gold

Post by eandy » Wed Jul 14, 2010 9:31 pm

rad law wrote:
We've been telling her this on multiple threads, but she won't. UGA is her dream school, and she has a 163. She won't reake for the 1 extra point.
I'm thinking the UGA cutoff may move to 165 this year, too. Please, please retake if you want UGA.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Barbie

Gold

Post by Barbie » Wed Jul 14, 2010 9:33 pm

eandy wrote:
rad law wrote:
I'm thinking the UGA cutoff may move to 165 this year, too. Please, please retake if you want UGA.

radlaw is mean and doesn't understand that there is no way I'll do better than 163 :(. It breaks my heart but its true!! Plus, my GPA sucks so even if I did break the 164/165 (I wouldn't, though) I prob still wouldn't be accepted.

Cleareyes

Bronze

Post by Cleareyes » Wed Jul 14, 2010 9:36 pm

What was your prep work that was so good that you couldn't possibly improve?

eandy

Gold

Post by eandy » Wed Jul 14, 2010 9:38 pm

darby girl wrote:
eandy wrote:
rad law wrote:

radlaw is mean and doesn't understand that there is no way I'll do better than 163 :(. It breaks my heart but its true!! Plus, my GPA sucks so even if I did break the 164/165 (I wouldn't, though) I prob still wouldn't be accepted.
Well if you think you did the best you can, still apply. Just try to tailor your app as much as possible. At ASD, they really stressed that they look for "nice" students, if that helps. Good luck!

Grizz

Diamond

Post by Grizz » Wed Jul 14, 2010 9:59 pm

darby girl wrote:Plus, my GPA sucks so even if I did break the 164/165 (I wouldn't, though) I prob still wouldn't be accepted.
If this cycle is anything like the last, you would.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

eandy

Gold

Post by eandy » Wed Jul 14, 2010 10:02 pm

rad law wrote:
darby girl wrote:Plus, my GPA sucks so even if I did break the 164/165 (I wouldn't, though) I prob still wouldn't be accepted.
If this cycle is anything like the last, you would.
They did take some 164, 3.0s this cycle. Especially since you have ties to GA(they seem to care about that), I think you could get in with one more point.
HOWEVER, you don't want to retake, and whether you do or not is your business only.

Merr

Bronze

Post by Merr » Wed Jul 14, 2010 10:03 pm

IAFG wrote:after you retake, apply to all the schools you like plus their peers to try to leverage scholarship money. a little money towards app fees will seem trivial if you get even $10k extra in scholarship money at you want to attend.

but yeah a 163 should be retaken.
Not necessarily.
Last edited by Merr on Wed Jul 14, 2010 10:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Barbie

Gold

Post by Barbie » Wed Jul 14, 2010 10:04 pm

eandy wrote:
darby girl wrote:

Well if you think you did the best you can, still apply. Just try to tailor your app as much as possible. At ASD, they really stressed that they look for "nice" students, if that helps. Good luck!

dumb question: what is ASD?

and to the other poster-- I didn't really study (6 PT in total) but I don't see me sacrificing much to be able to study a TON more. I know that sounds awful but... you know...

Grizz

Diamond

Post by Grizz » Wed Jul 14, 2010 10:05 pm

Admitted Students' Day.

ASW = Admitted Students' Weekend.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

eandy

Gold

Post by eandy » Wed Jul 14, 2010 10:05 pm

darby girl wrote:
eandy wrote:
darby girl wrote:

and to the other poster-- I didn't really study (6 PT in total) but I don't see me sacrificing much to be able to study a TON more. I know that sounds awful but... you know...
Accepted Students Day. I honestly think that if you got yourself a powerscore bible and did maybe 6 more PTs, you could get the extra point you need.

Cleareyes

Bronze

Post by Cleareyes » Wed Jul 14, 2010 10:06 pm

darby girl wrote:
eandy wrote:
darby girl wrote:

If you're not willing to do some work to get into the school you want and/or to get tens of thousands of dollars in scholarship then you might want to reconsider law school. Because the payoff to studying for the LSAT is greater than the payoff to studying once in law school, and you seem to think the cost is too high even for the extremely profitable LSAT studying.

Barbie

Gold

Post by Barbie » Wed Jul 14, 2010 10:07 pm

eandy wrote:
darby girl wrote:
eandy wrote:
darby girl wrote:

Accepted Students Day. I honestly think that if you got yourself a powerscore bible and did maybe 6 more PTs, you could get the extra point you need.

163 was my highest PT score ever, though. eandy where are you going?

beachbum

Gold

Post by beachbum » Wed Jul 14, 2010 10:11 pm

Cleareyes wrote:
darby girl wrote:
eandy wrote:
darby girl wrote:

If you're not willing to do some work to get into the school you want and/or to get tens of thousands of dollars in scholarship then you might want to reconsider law school. Because the payoff to studying for the LSAT is greater than the payoff to studying once in law school, and you seem to think the cost is too high even for the extremely profitable LSAT studying.
+1.

(Yeah, I was creepin on this thread, but this is the best advice I've seen here yet.)

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

eandy

Gold

Post by eandy » Wed Jul 14, 2010 10:11 pm

darby girl wrote: 163 was my highest PT score ever, though. eandy where are you going?
That doesn't mean you can't improve. It might seem like a lot to you, but I promise you that 6 practice tests are not that many. 1 or 2 more questions right would get you the score you need/want. You could learn, theoretically, the skills you need to get 1 or 2 more questions right in one day.

I'm going to Georgia.

kalvano

Diamond

Post by kalvano » Wed Jul 14, 2010 10:12 pm

Cleareyes wrote:What was your prep work that was so good that you couldn't possibly improve?

Pretty sure it was 6 PT's. And she says she's just too busy to study more, yet she has time to get drunk and post on here forever.

kalvano

Diamond

Post by kalvano » Wed Jul 14, 2010 10:13 pm

Right. Tell yourself that to make you feel better.

Barbie

Gold

Post by Barbie » Wed Jul 14, 2010 10:14 pm

Cleareyes wrote:
darby girl wrote:
eandy wrote:
darby girl wrote:

I DID do some work. I took the LSAT twice. The first time was a154 then 163. I can't afford to take time off work, and I'm extremely scared that if I just put time in on the weekends it wont be enough. Doing worse possbily scares the crap outa me!

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”