Florida Law Schools Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
Barbie

Gold

Re: Florida Law Schools

Post by Barbie » Fri Aug 13, 2010 8:09 am

Kchuck wrote:
paq04 wrote:FSU and UF are basically the same. The grades that one earns at either one of these schools is FAR more important to their future job prospects than which of the two institutions you graduate from. Once the cost of tuition is factored in there is a huge drop off between these two and the other FL schools.

Several professors at FSU seem to think that FSU will jump UF in the USWN rankings in the next year or two. It seems like FSU offers better 1L summer opportunities than UF, because there are simply so many law firms and government jobs around Tallahassee (and in an incredibly close proximity to the law school). Additionally, FSU's faculty is ranked 23rd in the nation in scholarly impact.
This is so wrong.

UF dominates FSU: even amongst the people working in the legislature, departments, etc.

FSU's only advantage is location.
All I'll say is that I know a few grads from each (this past year & year before) and the FSU grads are doing better. Aain, very small sample... just throwing that out there...

trialjunky

Silver

Post by trialjunky » Fri Aug 13, 2010 8:29 am

Barbie wrote:
DrackedaryMaster wrote:As somebody who hopes to get into a FL law school, I wish UF would do what Stetson did and move it's law school to a more desirable area. How about buying some property in Orlando or Jacksonville? I'm sure Barry or FCSL woudn't mind.

Being a native South Floridian, Gainesville and Tallahasse are too small for my liking. Miami and Stetson have the better locations, but at higher cost and somewhat lesser job prospects.

It would be nice if FIU rose to fulfill the needs of a reputable, affordable law school in South FL, but given the current market saturation, I doubt they will get out of the 4th tier anytime soon.
As someone who lived in Orlando and who just left Jacksonville today with a bf from there, hell no. Jacksonville is just awful (We went to a "nice" bar, which seemed okay, until a guy on the dance floor had 2 loaded guns fall out of his pockets) and Orlando is just not a place you want to live for LS, atleast IMO. I would rather live in Gville > Gulfport > Tally >>>>> Miami. But I hear FIU is doing well in Miami, if that's your MO
I'd be pissed if UF moved it. Gville is super small and for people who like big cities it's a bit of an adjustment (believe me I know) but the old historical feel of the campus couldnt really be replicated in Otown. Also, the good thing about Gville is its CHEAP as DIRT. Your loan money goes far in the 'ville.

Barbie

Gold

Post by Barbie » Fri Aug 13, 2010 8:40 am

trialjunky wrote:
Barbie wrote:
DrackedaryMaster wrote:As somebody who hopes to get into a FL law school, I wish UF would do what Stetson did and move it's law school to a more desirable area. How about buying some property in Orlando or Jacksonville? I'm sure Barry or FCSL woudn't mind.

Being a native South Floridian, Gainesville and Tallahasse are too small for my liking. Miami and Stetson have the better locations, but at higher cost and somewhat lesser job prospects.

It would be nice if FIU rose to fulfill the needs of a reputable, affordable law school in South FL, but given the current market saturation, I doubt they will get out of the 4th tier anytime soon.
As someone who lived in Orlando and who just left Jacksonville today with a bf from there, hell no. Jacksonville is just awful (We went to a "nice" bar, which seemed okay, until a guy on the dance floor had 2 loaded guns fall out of his pockets) and Orlando is just not a place you want to live for LS, atleast IMO. I would rather live in Gville > Gulfport > Tally >>>>> Miami. But I hear FIU is doing well in Miami, if that's your MO
I'd be pissed if UF moved it. Gville is super small and for people who like big cities it's a bit of an adjustment (believe me I know) but the old historical feel of the campus couldnt really be replicated in Otown. Also, the good thing about Gville is its CHEAP as DIRT. Your loan money goes far in the 'ville.
Gville is the last LS location in FL that should be complained about.

lawschoolstudent85

Bronze

Post by lawschoolstudent85 » Fri Aug 13, 2010 8:40 am

Last edited by lawschoolstudent85 on Wed Feb 09, 2011 7:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

trialjunky

Silver

Post by trialjunky » Fri Aug 13, 2010 8:41 am

Barbie wrote:
trialjunky wrote:
Barbie wrote:

Gville is the last LS location in FL that should be complained about.

Agreed, Oh I HATED Tally!!! It's so dirty

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Barbie

Gold

Post by Barbie » Fri Aug 13, 2010 8:44 am

lawschoolstudent85 wrote:
Barbie wrote:
coque9 wrote:i didn't want to go to uf, people can call me crazy all they want. I'm sure i would have gotten in though. it's all about giving my self the best chance to succeed and fsu does that for me. plus, uf... there are just so many bad vibes coming from there, haha. it's hard for people to understand something so abstract but uf just didn't feel right.

i didn't apply to uf but did get waitlisted at Georgia. the question then became, -> do i want to be top 15% at FSU or top 50% at Georgia?
I feel you.. I realllly liked FSU, and I luck out completely because they take your degree GPA if it's higher than your cumulative... which brings me from a 3.1/3.3 to a 3.8. I just hate Florida... :( I want some dang snow.
They may consider your degree GPA but the ADCOM by no means use it as a substitute for your cumulative GPA. I can say this with a pretty high degree of confidence.
I called and asked 3 different times. They use the highest of the two when making admissions decisions.

stipulation: degree granting (if higher) must have a decent amt. of credits. 50+ I would say.

lawschoolstudent85

Bronze

Post by lawschoolstudent85 » Fri Aug 13, 2010 10:16 am

Last edited by lawschoolstudent85 on Wed Feb 09, 2011 7:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

Barbie

Gold

Post by Barbie » Fri Aug 13, 2010 10:37 am

They may take it into consideration but at the end of day the number they care about, understandably so, is the one they are required to report to USNWR. Trust me on this one.
Yeah, sure, I'm going to trust a student rather than their adcomms.... riiiight.
call them yourself.

Barbie

Gold

Post by Barbie » Fri Aug 13, 2010 10:42 am

I just called AGAIN to verify. He (Daniel- admissions advisor) said they look at the HIGHEST GPA reported by LSAC. (They provide a LSAC calculated version of your Degree and Cumulative).

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

lawschoolstudent85

Bronze

Post by lawschoolstudent85 » Fri Aug 13, 2010 10:45 am

Last edited by lawschoolstudent85 on Wed Feb 09, 2011 7:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

Barbie

Gold

Post by Barbie » Fri Aug 13, 2010 10:54 am

Barbie wrote:
They may take it into consideration but at the end of day the number they care about, understandably so, is the one they are required to report to USNWR. Trust me on this one.
Yeah, sure, I'm going to trust a student rather than their adcomms.... riiiight.
call them yourself.

I did -- when I was applying. We reviewed my application on the phone and spoke explicitly concerning my degree GPA and my cumulative GPA. These aren't wild assumptions. This info is comes from first hand experience. I'm not trying to rain on your parade, just help you out.
Maybe they changed it. Because I just called for the third time, and he knows my GPAs (have a .6+ difference) and he said they likely wouldn't even look at my cumulative GPA.

lawschoolstudent85

Bronze

Post by lawschoolstudent85 » Fri Aug 13, 2010 10:55 am

Barbie

Gold

Post by Barbie » Fri Aug 13, 2010 10:57 am

Barbie wrote:
Barbie wrote: Yeah, sure, I'm going to trust a student rather than their adcomms.... riiiight.
call them yourself.

I did -- when I was applying. We reviewed my application on the phone and spoke explicitly concerning my degree GPA and my cumulative GPA. These aren't wild assumptions. This info is comes from first hand experience. I'm not trying to rain on your parade, just help you out.
Maybe they changed it. Because I just called for the third time, and he knows my GPAs (have a .6+ difference) and he said they likely wouldn't even look at my cumulative GPA.
Hopefully, for your sake, that's the case. Good luck in your application cycle.
I don't think it matters too much, I've heard FSU is very LSAT heavy anyways. Thanks.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

nolegirl22

New

Post by nolegirl22 » Sun Aug 22, 2010 9:16 pm

Kchuck wrote:
paq04 wrote:FSU and UF are basically the same. The grades that one earns at either one of these schools is FAR more important to their future job prospects than which of the two institutions you graduate from. Once the cost of tuition is factored in there is a huge drop off between these two and the other FL schools.

Several professors at FSU seem to think that FSU will jump UF in the USWN rankings in the next year or two. It seems like FSU offers better 1L summer opportunities than UF, because there are simply so many law firms and government jobs around Tallahassee (and in an incredibly close proximity to the law school). Additionally, FSU's faculty is ranked 23rd in the nation in scholarly impact.
This is so wrong.

UF dominates FSU: even amongst the people working in the legislature, departments, etc.

Wow! You are so wrong. UF is not any better than FSU. Everyone at UF thinks they are so much better because their athletics makes for more applicants. UF and FSU are the same. UF is in a terrible location, which is a BIG problem when you are trying to find jobs.

FSU has a much more welcoming and friendly environment. It is not as cutthroat of a place as UF, which makes for a more enjoyable experience.

It is complete ignorance when people say UF dominates FSU. They aren't ranked that much higher than FSU and they shouldn't even be ranked higher.

skoobily doobily

Bronze

Post by skoobily doobily » Sun Aug 22, 2010 10:28 pm

nolegirl22 wrote:
Kchuck wrote:

This is so wrong.

Wow! You are so wrong. UF is not any better than FSU. Everyone at UF thinks they are so much better because their athletics makes for more applicants. UF and FSU are the same. UF is in a terrible location, which is a BIG problem when you are trying to find jobs.

FSU has a much more welcoming and friendly environment. It is not as cutthroat of a place as UF, which makes for a more enjoyable experience.

It is complete ignorance when people say UF dominates FSU. They aren't ranked that much higher than FSU and they shouldn't even be ranked higher.
Your points are definitely NOT dripping with bias.

Deuce

Silver

Post by Deuce » Sun Aug 22, 2010 10:35 pm

nolegirl22 wrote:
Kchuck wrote:

This is so wrong.

u mad?

Grizz

Diamond

Post by Grizz » Sun Aug 22, 2010 10:42 pm

nolegirl22 wrote: Wow! You are so wrong. UF is not any better than FSU. Everyone at UF thinks they are so much better because their athletics makes for more applicants. UF and FSU are the same. UF is in a terrible location, which is a BIG problem when you are trying to find jobs.

That's not why people say UF is better.

UF doesn't dominate per se, but they are not the same.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Barbie

Gold

Post by Barbie » Sun Aug 22, 2010 10:56 pm

rad law wrote:
nolegirl22 wrote: Wow! You are so wrong. UF is not any better than FSU. Everyone at UF thinks they are so much better because their athletics makes for more applicants. UF and FSU are the same. UF is in a terrible location, which is a BIG problem when you are trying to find jobs.

Wow rad, I was expecting a praise-UF>FSU opinion from you. I am surprised!

Grizz

Diamond

Post by Grizz » Sun Aug 22, 2010 11:04 pm

Barbie wrote:
rad law wrote:

Wow rad, I was expecting a praise-UF>FSU opinion from you. I am surprised!
Haha well I will say it straight out then. UF > FSU.

Barbie

Gold

Post by Barbie » Sun Aug 22, 2010 11:08 pm

I feel like the the prestige of UF in general precedes it. When I think of UF, I think of a good school holistically. When I think of FSU, I think of a crappy UG and a party school. I go to a crappy UG, so no hate at all, and there are absolutely things that are drawing me to FSU over UF (what nole girl mentioned mostly), but I'm just pointing out why it is (or hopefully will be) such a dilemma, at least for me.

Strictly Bum

New

Post by Strictly Bum » Wed Oct 20, 2010 9:10 pm

I'm curious I am a Miami undergrad and have a 3.7 and haven't taken the LSAT yet what do I got to score to get into UMiami Law, Nova, FIU. I'm not thinking about UF or FSU it's not my cup of tea. Also would it be worth going out of state?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Grizz

Diamond

Post by Grizz » Wed Oct 20, 2010 9:19 pm

Strictly Bum wrote:I'm curious I am a Miami undergrad and have a 3.7 and haven't taken the LSAT yet what do I got to score to get into UMiami Law, Nova, FIU. I'm not thinking about UF or FSU it's not my cup of tea. Also would it be worth going out of state?
As to what LSAT you need, check out Law School Numbers. If you want to practice in FL you will be much better served by UF or FSU in most cases. Miami is expensive and doesn't reach far out of Miami/Ft. Lauderdale. It might be worth going out of state if you can get into a T25-ish school, though UF and FSU are really cheap so that's a factor.

Strictly Bum

New

Post by Strictly Bum » Wed Oct 20, 2010 9:23 pm

rad law wrote:
Strictly Bum wrote:I'm curious I am a Miami undergrad and have a 3.7 and haven't taken the LSAT yet what do I got to score to get into UMiami Law, Nova, FIU. I'm not thinking about UF or FSU it's not my cup of tea. Also would it be worth going out of state?
As to what LSAT you need, check out Law School Numbers. If you want to practice in FL you will be much better served by UF or FSU in most cases. Miami is expensive and doesn't reach far out of Miami/Ft. Lauderdale. It might be worth going out of state if you can get into a T25-ish school, though UF and FSU are really cheap so that's a factor.
I'm not really worried about the money and connections because I got them. I'm just curious because if I get the higher GPA does the number on the LSAT score I need to get lower? I don't like the Tally area nor Gainesville. Plus Miami is rising and FSU and UF are staying the same.

Barbie

Gold

Post by Barbie » Wed Oct 20, 2010 9:26 pm

Strictly Bum wrote:
rad law wrote:
I'm not really worried about the money and connections because I got them. I'm just curious because if I get the higher GPA does the number on the LSAT score I need to get lower? I don't like the Tally area nor Gainesville. Plus Miami is rising and FSU and UF are staying the same.
I'm not even going to get into the rankings but if you're not an URM, then I would say 157.

Strictly Bum

New

Post by Strictly Bum » Wed Oct 20, 2010 9:28 pm

Barbie wrote:
Strictly Bum wrote:
rad law wrote:
I'm not even going to get into the rankings but if you're not an URM, then I would say 157.
Lol, what's URM? Yes, UF and FSU are higher however I fit best in Miami. I'm from around the city.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”