Indiana Bloomington or University of Iowa Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
GenericUserName

New

Indiana Bloomington or University of Iowa

Post by GenericUserName » Wed Jun 30, 2010 3:10 pm

I was accepted to both of these schools and plan on practicing around the mid-west. Is there any real difference on chances of finding a job and where i might live after law school?

crazyeddie

New

Re: Indiana Bloomington or University of Iowa

Post by crazyeddie » Wed Jun 30, 2010 5:16 pm

Indy for Indiana. Iowa for Iowa. Both are peer schools.

Iowa is probably a little better for Chicago, but not by much. Outside of their home state, they will have similar prospects throughout the midwest.

But most importantly...
Indy has a nicer campus and hotter girls (undergrad). Iowa has a better football team.

That is my $.02

CanadianWolf

Diamond

Post by CanadianWolf » Wed Jun 30, 2010 5:46 pm

I agree with the above poster. Essentially this is a tie. In order to break the draw, you need to find some other basis on which to decide. Both are beautiful campuses. If I had to decide I would visit each campus & both law schools while school is in session (if possible) if there was no particular area of law of substantial interest.
P.S. Edit of the above post: Indiana has more beautiful girls, while Iowa has hotter girls.

traehekat

Gold

Post by traehekat » Sat Jul 10, 2010 11:59 am

Been to both campuses, Iowa girls are definitely hotter.

Unless you want Indianapolis, I would go with Iowa. You can gain resident tuition there after a year with a RA position, whereas at IUB it is very difficult, nay impossible, to gain residency. I would never even consider paying the kind of money nonresidents have to pay at IUB for three years.

Iowa also has a better reputation throughout the Midwest.

kk19131

Silver

Post by kk19131 » Sat Jul 10, 2010 12:04 pm

traehekat wrote: Iowa also has a better reputation throughout the Midwest.

... and this is based on...?

traehekat

Gold

Post by traehekat » Sat Jul 10, 2010 12:16 pm

kk19131 wrote:
traehekat wrote: Iowa also has a better reputation throughout the Midwest.

... and this is based on...?
Peer assessment scores, assessment scores by lawyers and judges, vault employability rankings, NLJ250 placement %, simply looking at where lawyers at large firms went to school via the firm's website, historically higher ranking, the wide net cast by Iowa graduates across the Midwest which has lead to improved reputation (more students from IUB stay in Indiana), slightly better % employed by Article III federal clerks, etc.

EDIT: Their reputation isn't THAT much better, though. It's not like IUB is a TTT compared to Iowa, I would just argue that Iowa has a slightly better reputation.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”