No Jobs for You Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
romothesavior

Diamond

Re: No Jobs for You

Post by romothesavior » Wed Jun 30, 2010 8:55 am

OP may be a flame, or he may be a real lawyer with a propensity for embellishment or exaggeration, but his overall point is pretty credited. Trying to counter this argument by using a few people with jobs from T2s as indicative of T2 employment prospects is not wise.

Grizz

Diamond

Post by Grizz » Wed Jun 30, 2010 9:15 am

Replace Tier 1 with T25 (whereabouts) or best school in the state/region and your post is generally credited. Minimizing debt is also credited.

DaveBear07

Bronze

Post by DaveBear07 » Wed Jun 30, 2010 9:31 am

All in all, what's most important here is the OP's Seinfeld reference.

TheBigMediocre

Silver

Post by TheBigMediocre » Wed Jun 30, 2010 9:33 am

People still live in Detroit?

Grizz

Diamond

Post by Grizz » Wed Jun 30, 2010 9:36 am

TheBigMediocre wrote:People still live in Detroit?
It looks something like this

--ImageRemoved--

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

krj02004

Bronze

Post by krj02004 » Wed Jun 30, 2010 10:11 am

My guess is that his girlfriend left him for partner in the firm.... that explains his bitterness. And he's angry because he's stuck in Michigan, no one has money for a lawyer, and now he can't make his billable hours quota. :(

zeth006

Silver

Post by zeth006 » Wed Jun 30, 2010 6:23 pm

krj02004 wrote:My guess is that his girlfriend left him for partner in the firm.... that explains his bitterness. And he's angry because he's stuck in Michigan, no one has money for a lawyer, and now he can't make his billable hours quota. :(
I know people going to school in MI. Every single person has one acronym for it: GTFO.

romothesavior

Diamond

Post by romothesavior » Wed Jun 30, 2010 6:31 pm

zeth006 wrote:
krj02004 wrote:My guess is that his girlfriend left him for partner in the firm.... that explains his bitterness. And he's angry because he's stuck in Michigan, no one has money for a lawyer, and now he can't make his billable hours quota. :(
I know people going to school in MI. Every single person has one acronym for it: GTFO.
But it looks so nice in the commercials... :cry:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7oHe6GRo ... re=related

Matthies

Silver

Post by Matthies » Wed Jun 30, 2010 6:40 pm

NoJob wrote: No dumbs*t, I have a job. Read the post. Since it appears your reading comprehension skills are lacking, you should avoid the law. But then again, you can be one of those retard lawyers I get sanctions from.
You have been out of law school for three years and you got sanctions, with an S? WTF dood why you getting sanctioned? Rule 11 shit? Unethical shit? Dumb shit?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

bk1

Diamond

Post by bk1 » Wed Jun 30, 2010 6:53 pm

zeth006 wrote:Avoid schools below T50? What about all these dudes and dudettes I know who hail from the likes of Loyola and USD and have jobs? Are you telling me that there's no way they could've gotten those positions in tax law and trusts/estates?
This guy may be an idiot who is merely rehashing stuff we already know, but this is stupid too. What about the half of the class at Loyola who were jobless at graduation?

Matthies

Silver

Post by Matthies » Wed Jun 30, 2010 7:03 pm

bk187 wrote:
zeth006 wrote:Avoid schools below T50? What about all these dudes and dudettes I know who hail from the likes of Loyola and USD and have jobs? Are you telling me that there's no way they could've gotten those positions in tax law and trusts/estates?
This guy may be an idiot who is merely rehashing stuff we already know, but this is stupid too. What about the half of the class at Loyola who were jobless at graduation?
What about them? I mean whose gaurnteed a job? law school = JD it does not allways = legal job. Anyone can go to law school, not anyone can actually get a job or be good at the law, t14 just means you can suck a bit more for longer till your out. Law school is a school, people need to realize that's all it is, its not a job placemnt agency and start treating thier job search as such. Very few employers hire grads before they pas the bar, those that tend to, tend to be larger firms that don't recuit as much at lower rbanked schools.

maxm2764

Silver

Post by maxm2764 » Wed Jun 30, 2010 7:07 pm

NoJob wrote: My firm, in MI, won't touch a Cooley or U of D grad.
This is where I stopped reading.

shutterbug

Bronze

Post by shutterbug » Wed Jun 30, 2010 7:26 pm

NoJob wrote:If you want any chance at a job, avoid anything below a T50. An obvious exception to this would be if you got a free ride.
No lawyer, not even the Cooley grads you make fun of, would ever write a sentence so freakin' moronic in its logic. Flame or fool? BOTH.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

romothesavior

Diamond

Post by romothesavior » Wed Jun 30, 2010 7:29 pm

shutterbug wrote:
NoJob wrote:If you want any chance at a job, avoid anything below a T50. An obvious exception to this would be if you got a free ride.
No lawyer, not even the Cooley grads you make fun of, would ever write a sentence so freakin' moronic in its logic. Flame or fool? BOTH.
O rly?

Cause I had a lawyer tell me he was worried for me with 2/3 scholly at WUSTL. Guess that biglaw partner was a flame.

Matthies

Silver

Post by Matthies » Wed Jun 30, 2010 7:32 pm

romothesavior wrote:
shutterbug wrote:
O rly?

Cause I had a lawyer tell me he was worried for me with 2/3 scholly at WUSTL. Guess that biglaw partner was a flame.
He's scared you were gunning for his job

Pearalegal

Silver

Post by Pearalegal » Wed Jun 30, 2010 7:32 pm

romothesavior wrote:
shutterbug wrote:
O rly?

I think the problem in the logic is found in the fact that OP said that a school below 50 is to be avoided due to the job opportunities, but then says it can be reconsidered with a full scholarship. Problem is that the scholarship doesn't change the fact that in the OP's opinion, there is no chance at a job regardless.

romothesavior

Diamond

Post by romothesavior » Wed Jun 30, 2010 7:33 pm

Matthies wrote:
romothesavior wrote:
shutterbug wrote:
O rly?

He's scared you were gunning for his job
He had reason to be. :D

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Matthies

Silver

Post by Matthies » Wed Jun 30, 2010 7:35 pm

romothesavior wrote: He had reason to be. :D
Seriously if you can't make it work with 2/3 scholly at WUSTL when you want to stay there in 3 years I will personally fly out there and toss you off that silver half Mcdonlads monstriosity thing by the river myself.

zeth006

Silver

Post by zeth006 » Wed Jun 30, 2010 7:37 pm

bk187 wrote:
He'll sound like he's just rehashing the same, tired "The legal field is fucked, therefore no one should go to law school" rhetoric if you just do what any good elementary school student does, which is just read the title and run off to play in the sandbox. Read his entire soap box and you'll find it's not just a rehash.

Here. Let me help you with the main point:

Pearalegal wrote: I think the problem in the logic is found in the fact that OP said that a school below 50 is to be avoided due to the job opportunities, but then says it can be reconsidered with a full scholarship. Problem is that the scholarship doesn't change the fact that in the OP's opinion, there is no chance at a job regardless.

What's stupider is deeming someone else's comment to be stupid without having taken it along with the OP's entire post in context.

Newsflash: Few of us have been living in caves. We all know about the recession and the job prospects. Contribute something new before you decide to run off at the mouth again.

Pearalegal

Silver

Post by Pearalegal » Wed Jun 30, 2010 7:39 pm

zeth006 wrote:
Pearalegal wrote: I think the problem in the logic is found in the fact that OP said that a school below 50 is to be avoided due to the job opportunities, but then says it can be reconsidered with a full scholarship. Problem is that the scholarship doesn't change the fact that in the OP's opinion, there is no chance at a job regardless.

What's stupider is deeming someone else's comment to be stupid without having taken it along with the OP's entire post in context.

Newsflash: Few of us have been living in caves. We all know about the recession and the job prospects. Contribute something new before you decide to run off at the mouth again.
What the hell did I do? I was just clarifying the comment.

bk1

Diamond

Post by bk1 » Wed Jun 30, 2010 7:40 pm

Matthies wrote:What about them? I mean whose gaurnteed a job? law school = JD it does not allways = legal job. Anyone can go to law school, not anyone can actually get a job or be good at the law, t14 just means you can suck a bit more for longer till your out. Law school is a school, people need to realize that's all it is, its not a job placemnt agency and start treating thier job search as such. Very few employers hire grads before they pas the bar, those that tend to, tend to be larger firms that don't recuit as much at lower rbanked schools.
You completely missed my point. I was merely stating that arguing from anecdote is pointless because plenty of them can be pulled for any sort of argument you want to make.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

maxm2764

Silver

Post by maxm2764 » Wed Jun 30, 2010 7:43 pm

I like this thread.

zeth006

Silver

Post by zeth006 » Wed Jun 30, 2010 7:45 pm

romothesavior wrote:
zeth006 wrote:
But it looks so nice in the commercials... :cry:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7oHe6GRo ... re=related

Blech. The problem with TV shows like "The OC" is they present viewers with an idyllic image of what exactly Southern California is like. When I run into people from the midwest who learn I'm from Orange County, their response is either to ask "Is it like in The OC?" or to sigh and say, "I'm jealous." Others who've never seen a single episode are quicker to take jabs at our budget woes and unemployment rates. It doesn't help that some figures in our government half-joked that one solution to our problems would be having California secede.

That said, Detroit's problems are many. I pity the fool who had a choice of living/working elsewhere but got lured by that commercial. Good or bad, half of their marijuana grower/seller business classes are occupied by former D2.5 auto workers.
Last edited by zeth006 on Wed Jun 30, 2010 7:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bk1

Diamond

Post by bk1 » Wed Jun 30, 2010 7:45 pm

zeth006 wrote:
bk187 wrote:
He'll sound like he's just rehashing the same, tired "The legal field is fucked, therefore no one should go to law school" rhetoric if you just do what any good elementary school student does, which is just read the title and run off to play in the sandbox. Read his entire soap box and you'll find it's not just a rehash.

Here. Let me help you with the main point:

OP's Argument: Don't go to shit schools because you won't get hired.

Your Argument: I know some people who go to lower ranked schools and got jobs.

Am I missing something? Just because your friends exist doesn't disprove his point. Like this: "I know somebody who won the lottery. Therefore you should go out and buy a lotto ticket." It's poor logic.

Matthies

Silver

Post by Matthies » Wed Jun 30, 2010 7:50 pm

bk187 wrote:
Matthies wrote:What about them? I mean whose gaurnteed a job? law school = JD it does not allways = legal job. Anyone can go to law school, not anyone can actually get a job or be good at the law, t14 just means you can suck a bit more for longer till your out. Law school is a school, people need to realize that's all it is, its not a job placemnt agency and start treating thier job search as such. Very few employers hire grads before they pas the bar, those that tend to, tend to be larger firms that don't recuit as much at lower rbanked schools.
You completely missed my point. I was merely stating that arguing from anecdote is pointless because plenty of them can be pulled for any sort of argument you want to make.
But that is the point, he pointed to actual people he knows who were sucessful from specific schools, I can point to plenty of people i don't know, that I just assume are out there, that were not sucessful, that's much, much easier to just say well what about the "othres". But I don't know anything about THEM. I do know about the pople I know who are lawyers and I went to school with and the ones I know who have jobs are the ones who did not think like the above, and a few that I won't even have lunch with anymore becuase when we do, usually inbetween thier weekly ski trips, they tell me how the school has failed them since they don't have a job, but they are too busy not having a job to go with me to meet some lawyers who might have work for them (I really whish I was making that up, I'm not, some of my classmates don't have jobs becuase, well, they suck at finding them on thier own, or even with help). :roll:

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”