. Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
Englander742

Bronze

Post by Englander742 » Sun Jun 27, 2010 8:34 am

Last edited by Englander742 on Wed Dec 21, 2011 4:09 pm, edited 2 times in total.

angiej

Silver

Re: Yale or IU Bloomington? Do I have other options?

Post by angiej » Sun Jun 27, 2010 8:43 am

Hey there fellow Hoosier - I'm in UG and have lived in Indiana my whole life too. I wouldn't rule out ND yet - there are still clerkship opportunities in South Bend at the federal district corthouse downtown. I know you are looking for a state, possibly Indiana State Supreme Court internship, but why rule out federal clerkships? I'm sure something like that on your resume would lend itself nicely to working in Indy. Not to mention that South Bend is home to mega firms like Baker and Daniels and Barnes and Thornburg and Kreig Devault (who all also have Indianapolis firms). I hope to work in Indy as well. Just the other day I was chatting with a summer intern at my firm who transferred from Indy to Notre Dame and said that Indy Law (IU-Indy) grads actually have an easier time breaking into the Indianapolis legal market than do IU-B or Notre Dame grads since IU-Indy dominates the Indianapolis market - just a thought.

BenJ

Silver

Post by BenJ » Sun Jun 27, 2010 8:56 am

My understanding is that the main reason you would need to do an associateship in Indiana to get a job there would be if you lacked personal ties to the state. No Indiana employer is going to look down on a Hoosier who went away to Harvard or UChicago or something and then came back to Indiana after law school.

If you actually manage a 172, try for Yale, Harvard, Chicago and maybe Michigan, the four best schools for the Midwest market. I think all would do as well in Indiana as IUB even without an associateship in the state beforehand (and with one for IUB). And your numbers basically guarantee admission at Chicago and Michigan, at the least. (Also try applying to some of their peer schools to negotiate scholarships even if you don't intend to attend.)

chris888777

New

Post by chris888777 » Sun Jun 27, 2010 9:20 am

Isn't Notre Dame in Indiana?

Englander742

Bronze

Post by Englander742 » Sun Jun 27, 2010 12:34 pm

angiej wrote:Just the other day I was chatting with a summer intern at my firm who transferred from Indy to Notre Dame and said that Indy Law (IU-Indy) grads actually have an easier time breaking into the Indianapolis legal market than do IU-B or Notre Dame grads since IU-Indy dominates the Indianapolis market - just a thought.
Thanks fellow Hoosier :) Notre Dame is a very strong school, and hopefully my money would be good. This summer I'm working with 2 Indy grads and about 10 current students working as summer associates, and I am NOT impressed, especially with the current students. If that is indicative of more of the law school, I would never be happy there. Also I live in Indy currently and would like a change.
BenJ wrote:My understanding is that the main reason you would need to do an associateship in Indiana to get a job there would be if you lacked personal ties to the state. No Indiana employer is going to look down on a Hoosier who went away to Harvard or UChicago or something and then came back to Indiana after law school.

If you actually manage a 172, try for Yale, Harvard, Chicago and maybe Michigan, the four best schools for the Midwest market. I think all would do as well in Indiana as IUB even without an associateship in the state beforehand (and with one for IUB). And your numbers basically guarantee admission at Chicago and Michigan, at the least. (Also try applying to some of their peer schools to negotiate scholarships even if you don't intend to attend.)
This is really helpful. There's no way I would enjoy Harvard either, as I am very conservative and Boston/Harvard doesn't seem like a good fit at all for me. I would like to visit first to see though. Michigan is tempting, I'll probably consider that too.

Thanks all, I think I did expand my list from more than just Yale and IU-B. Even so, I remain apprehensive about job prospects in Indiana after being completely gone for three years. At least I do have a couple contacts from my current job I can make sure to maintain. I don't feel confident in anything outside of Yale, IU-B, ND, and probably Michigan and/or Chicago.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

ScaredWorkedBored

Bronze

Post by ScaredWorkedBored » Sun Jun 27, 2010 12:59 pm

You're overthinking this too much. The only state natives that are reputed to have real issues explaining going to a more prestigious out-of-state school and then wanting to return home are Texans. I have a hard time imagining that anyone's going to begrudge you for going to Chicago or Michigan.

Your real issue is your family situation. Sort out what's the cart and what's the horse there.

pelmen74

Bronze

Post by pelmen74 » Sun Jun 27, 2010 1:04 pm

Englander742 wrote:
angiej wrote:Just the other day I was chatting with a summer intern at my firm who transferred from Indy to Notre Dame and said that Indy Law (IU-Indy) grads actually have an easier time breaking into the Indianapolis legal market than do IU-B or Notre Dame grads since IU-Indy dominates the Indianapolis market - just a thought.
Thanks fellow Hoosier :) Notre Dame is a very strong school, and hopefully my money would be good. This summer I'm working with 2 Indy grads and about 10 current students working as summer associates, and I am NOT impressed, especially with the current students. If that is indicative of more of the law school, I would never be happy there. Also I live in Indy currently and would like a change.
BenJ wrote:My understanding is that the main reason you would need to do an associateship in Indiana to get a job there would be if you lacked personal ties to the state. No Indiana employer is going to look down on a Hoosier who went away to Harvard or UChicago or something and then came back to Indiana after law school.

This is really helpful. There's no way I would enjoy Harvard either, as I am very conservative and Boston/Harvard doesn't seem like a good fit at all for me. I would like to visit first to see though. Michigan is tempting, I'll probably consider that too.

Thanks all, I think I did expand my list from more than just Yale and IU-B. Even so, I remain apprehensive about job prospects in Indiana after being completely gone for three years. At least I do have a couple contacts from my current job I can make sure to maintain. I don't feel confident in anything outside of Yale, IU-B, ND, and probably Michigan and/or Chicago.
So Harvard is too liberal but Yale, Chicago and Michigan are not? I don't know about that. I think most t-14 law school, will be more liberal than conservative but noone is going to attack you for your beliefs. Don't forget, both Clintons went to Yale and Scalia went to Harvard!

Cosmo Kramer

Bronze

Post by Cosmo Kramer » Sun Jun 27, 2010 1:06 pm

Don't feel like you need to be a slave to USNews like some people on this site. Just because you CAN get into some higher ranked schools doesn't mean it's a good idea to go there over IUB full-ride (which it sounds like you'll get), given your situation.

Patriot1208

Platinum

Post by Patriot1208 » Sun Jun 27, 2010 1:08 pm

This is something I wonder about too, say I want to return to columbus/cincinnati after graduation. Is it better then to go to OSU (assuming with in state and money that it would be <30,000 total debt) or better to go to a t7-t14 (doubt I'll get into t6) and pay sticker. Does going to a school like that almost guarantee a market job in a smaller market like columbus or cincinnati?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Englander742

Bronze

Post by Englander742 » Sun Jun 27, 2010 2:03 pm

ScaredWorkedBored wrote:You're overthinking this too much. The only state natives that are reputed to have real issues explaining going to a more prestigious out-of-state school and then wanting to return home are Texans. I have a hard time imagining that anyone's going to begrudge you for going to Chicago or Michigan.

Your real issue is your family situation. Sort out what's the cart and what's the horse there.
I put a strong emphasis on family. I know how to be the head of a household, and I'd like to think I know how to love. No law school or education is as important as a marriage. EVER.
pelmen74 wrote:So Harvard is too liberal but Yale, Chicago and Michigan are not? I don't know about that. I think most t-14 law school, will be more liberal than conservative but noone is going to attack you for your beliefs. Don't forget, both Clintons went to Yale and Scalia went to Harvard!
I should've been more clear. I'm not worried about a school, as I know my beliefs and will stick to them, but also am not a jerk about them. I was more thinking about Boston as a place I wouldn't be happy living. New Haven sounds much better from what I've heard, and the places I've been to at least in Michigan are certainly fine. I can't say I know much about Chicago. I would have to visit the cities for sure.
Cosmo Kramer wrote:Don't feel like you need to be a slave to USNews like some people on this site. Just because you CAN get into some higher ranked schools doesn't mean it's a good idea to go there over IUB full-ride (which it sounds like you'll get), given your situation.
Thanks! That's something I've heard from a couple other people who I respect a lot. One of the reasons IU-B will always be on my short list. This thread is to explore options, and you guys are all being really helpful. I appreciate the feedback for sure.

dutchstriker

Bronze

Post by dutchstriker » Sun Jun 27, 2010 2:25 pm

Ann Arbor is very liberal.

kings84_wr

Silver

Post by kings84_wr » Sun Jun 27, 2010 2:26 pm

This thread title makes me happy.

But think about this dude, IUB doesn't guarantee a job in Indiana. The Midwest state schools are the ones hit the hardest by Economy imo. There are students in the top 10 percent and on law review who don't get firms even in Indy. If you can get into one of the top schools it would significantly increase your chances to get a job in Indiana.

Now if you are worrying about debt and family that could outweigh the job issue, and honestly IUB is great as you probably already know. There are actually quite a few people i knew that had similar numbers to you believe it or not and took the full ride.

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Sun Jun 27, 2010 2:29 pm

kings84_wr wrote:This thread title makes me happy.
Aren't you transferring out because nobody gets a job from IUB?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

kings84_wr

Silver

Post by kings84_wr » Sun Jun 27, 2010 2:30 pm

Desert Fox wrote:
kings84_wr wrote:This thread title makes me happy.
Aren't you transferring out because nobody gets a job from IUB?
I can still be happy hahha

nealric

Post by nealric » Sun Jun 27, 2010 2:31 pm

ITT:

0Ls get WAAAYYYYYYYYYY ahead of themselves.

Come back when you at least have a REAL LSAT score. Everyone and his dog gets a 172 in practice.
Last edited by nealric on Sun Jun 27, 2010 3:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Bankhead

Silver

Post by Bankhead » Sun Jun 27, 2010 2:38 pm

OP: Your chances of getting into Yale are still quite low, even with a 172+ on your LSAT.

A midwestern T14 would be your best option, I think.

romothesavior

Diamond

Post by romothesavior » Sun Jun 27, 2010 2:43 pm

Rancid IU-Bloomington trolling.

But seriously, apply to more schools than Yale and IU. If you can pull a 170+, you should be applying to every school you'd consider attending in the T14. Open up your search a little, because the possibility of three months apart in the summer shouldn't deter you from going to a great school.

Also, what nealric said. This is very presumptuous of you to be talking about a Yale acceptance when you 1) haven't taken the LSAT year and 2) aren't even PTing at Yale-caliber levels.
Last edited by romothesavior on Sun Jun 27, 2010 2:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Sun Jun 27, 2010 2:44 pm

According to NALP, only two Indianapolis firms who actually hire SA's don't interview at Nortre Dame. So I'd at least apply there. Though LSN doesn't shot ND giving out full rides. Worth an app though.

Also two of the biggest firms in Indianapolis do go to OCI at the top schools, espc at midwest T14s. If you can manage a full ride at Mich or Northwestern, you'd be able to get the big firms at OCI, and send resumes to the lower firms.

But Nealic is right as he usually is. PTs don't mean shit. You may only get a 165 and be forced in IUB anyway.

Englander742

Bronze

Post by Englander742 » Sun Jun 27, 2010 3:01 pm

nealric wrote:ITT:

A 0Ls gets WAAAYYYYYYYYYY ahead of themselves.

Come back when you at least have a REAL LSAT score. Everyone and his dog gets a 172 in practice.
Wow, I ask for advice, get some incredible help from people, and then I get useless responses. I'm talking about options not like I'm a sure shot to Yale.
romothesavior wrote:Rancid IU-Bloomington trolling.

But seriously, apply to more schools than Yale and IU. If you can pull a 170+, you should be applying to every school you'd consider attending in the T14. Open up your search a little, because the possibility of three months apart in the summer shouldn't deter you from going to a great school.

Also, what nealric said. This is very presumptuous of you to be talking about a Yale acceptance when you 1) haven't taken the LSAT year and 2) aren't even PTing at Yale-caliber levels.
I appreciate the first part of your post, and I anticipate at least a 172 including taking into account stress levels. I would not be surprised if I don't get into Yale, but I would appreciate legitimate advice and recommendations, not being called presumptuous as that does not aid my situation.
Desert Fox wrote:According to NALP, only two Indianapolis firms who actually hire SA's don't interview at Nortre Dame. So I'd at least apply there. Though LSN doesn't shot ND giving out full rides. Worth an app though.

Also two of the biggest firms in Indianapolis do go to OCI at the top schools, espc at midwest T14s. If you can manage a full ride at Mich or Northwestern, you'd be able to get the big firms at OCI, and send resumes to the lower firms.

But Nealic is right as he usually is. PTs don't mean shit. You may only get a 165 and be forced in IUB anyway.
Thanks for the info! Is there a list of where Indy firms interview? Does anyone know about summer opportunities in South Bend? I'm going to keep working on my LSAT skills.

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Sun Jun 27, 2010 3:03 pm

Englander742 wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:According to NALP, only two Indianapolis firms who actually hire SA's don't interview at Nortre Dame. So I'd at least apply there. Though LSN doesn't shot ND giving out full rides. Worth an app though.

Thanks for the info! Is there a list of where Indy firms interview? Does anyone know about summer opportunities in South Bend? I'm going to keep working on my LSAT skills.
--LinkRemoved--

You don't have to take a summer job in the place you go to school. In fact I best almost all ND students go elsewhere.

nealric

Post by nealric » Sun Jun 27, 2010 3:23 pm

Wow, I ask for advice, get some incredible help from people, and then I get useless responses. I'm talking about options not like I'm a sure shot to Yale.
It is a useful response- it's just a useful response that you don't want to hear. My point is that this not a profitable discussion to be having at this juncture.

Feel free to sit around discussing whether you should buy a Ferrari or a Bugatti after winning the lottery, but don't expect people to take you seriously when you ask for advice about it.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Gold

Post by 094320 » Sun Jun 27, 2010 3:44 pm

lawschoollll

Bronze

Post by lawschoollll » Sun Jun 27, 2010 3:45 pm

I should've been more clear. I'm not worried about a school, as I know my beliefs and will stick to them, but also am not a jerk about them. I was more thinking about Boston as a place I wouldn't be happy living. New Haven sounds much better from what I've heard, and the places I've been to at least in Michigan are certainly fine. I can't say I know much about Chicago. I would have to visit the cities for sure.
So you've never actually been out of Indiana, period?

philosoraptor

Silver

Post by philosoraptor » Sun Jun 27, 2010 3:47 pm

acrossthelake wrote:Random side note. You prefer *New Haven* over *Boston*? :shock: You are the first person I've ever known to have that preference. Have you visited New Haven?! (or Boston?)
New Haven >>> Boston.

Gold

Post by 094320 » Sun Jun 27, 2010 3:49 pm

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”