Michigan Sending Graduates to India Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
Voyager

Silver

Michigan Sending Graduates to India

Post by Voyager » Fri Jun 25, 2010 1:24 pm

... as contract attorneys.
holy crap.

--LinkRemoved--

Seriously, at this point anyone applying to law school should reconsider the plan. The costs FAR outweigh the benefits.

TCScrutinizer

Bronze

Re: Michigan Sending Graduates to India

Post by TCScrutinizer » Sun Jun 27, 2010 6:20 pm

There's no mention of the benefits of this position. How could you possibly weigh costs versus benefits without one half of the equation?

Unless you count moving to India as a massive negative in and of itself, which is pretty subjective.

juevonate

New

Post by juevonate » Mon Jun 28, 2010 12:41 am

uh.....isn't everyone and their mom interested in practicing international law? It's relatively common for law schools to brag about sending their graduates to foreign countries, not to mention that with a comparative salary, quality of life can increase incredibly in developing countries like India.....

I see it as a positive.

applepiecrust

Bronze

Post by applepiecrust » Mon Jun 28, 2010 1:16 am

The article doesn't seem to indicate contract attorney (unless this is RC fail on my part). I don't see what's so awful about being an associate at a law firm in a developing country if it offers competitive benefits.

Also, I don't much about how any of this works, but doesn't simply posting on the job board =/= "Michigan SENDING its graduates there"?

sundance95

Gold

Post by sundance95 » Mon Jun 28, 2010 1:25 am

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

nycsoul87

New

Post by nycsoul87 » Mon Jun 28, 2010 1:29 am

juevonate wrote:uh.....isn't everyone and their mom interested in practicing international law? It's relatively common for law schools to brag about sending their graduates to foreign countries, not to mention that with a comparative salary, quality of life can increase incredibly in developing countries like India.....

I see it as a positive.

LOL bro, enjoy paying off that 150K debt with a 12K job practicing international document review law

ScaredWorkedBored

Bronze

Post by ScaredWorkedBored » Mon Jun 28, 2010 2:22 am

Also, I don't much about how any of this works, but doesn't simply posting on the job board =/= "Michigan SENDING its graduates there"?
That this would even be posted on a job board speaks volumes about how desperate they are to jack up the 9 months employment number. Lord only knows what schools will be doing with the "at graduation" number for 2010...

motiontodismiss

Silver

Post by motiontodismiss » Mon Jun 28, 2010 2:34 am

Just because Mich Law posts such a job doesn't mean the students don't have better options, nor does it mean that Mich can't do better.

TCScrutinizer

Bronze

Post by TCScrutinizer » Mon Jun 28, 2010 2:50 am

nycsoul87 wrote:
juevonate wrote:uh.....isn't everyone and their mom interested in practicing international law? It's relatively common for law schools to brag about sending their graduates to foreign countries, not to mention that with a comparative salary, quality of life can increase incredibly in developing countries like India.....

I see it as a positive.

LOL bro, enjoy paying off that 150K debt with a 12K job practicing international document review law
Where did you get the 12K figure from? Could you source that for me?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Silver

Post by 12262010 » Mon Jun 28, 2010 2:51 am

I see it as a positive.
international law isn't real

rman1201

Silver

Post by rman1201 » Mon Jun 28, 2010 2:52 am

This whole ordeal has been exaggerated. Yes it's a terrible that any T14 grad could end up in India making $12,000 a year. But merely posting the job doesn't mean the bottom 60% of the class is going to end up working there. With 99.7% of graduates reporting, only 7 had international jobs, how many of those were for an Indian LPO is unknown. Any that do go are probably just looking for some sort of overseas experience for a year or two to make their resume look pretty.

TCScrutinizer

Bronze

Post by TCScrutinizer » Mon Jun 28, 2010 2:57 am

rman1201 wrote:This whole ordeal has been exaggerated. Yes it's a terrible that any T14 grad could end up in India making $12,000 a year. But merely posting the job doesn't mean the bottom 60% of the class is going to end up working there. With 99.7% of graduates reporting, only 7 had international jobs, how many of those were for an Indian LPO is unknown. Any that do go are probably just looking for some sort of overseas experience for a year or two to make their resume look pretty.
Thank you for the data.

I mean US$5,000 a year is a middle class life in many parts of India, but it sure doesn't seem like your student loans would get paid off any time soon with that sort of salary.

PDaddy

Gold

Post by PDaddy » Mon Jun 28, 2010 2:59 am

...and apparently recruiting students from prison. Jeez, what's next? :lol:

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

rman1201

Silver

Post by rman1201 » Mon Jun 28, 2010 3:03 am

TCScrutinizer wrote: Thank you for the data.

I mean US$5,000 a year is a middle class life in many parts of India, but it sure doesn't seem like your student loans would get paid off any time soon with that sort of salary.
I mean it's not a bad gig if you go to Michigan on a full scholarship and have no debt. The work in India can be represented nicely on a resume and is a good way to get some experience if you don't have any success landing a firm job right away. The pay is better than CoL in India, the average disposable salary in India is only $5,400. Just don't do it with any debt...

Origninally wrote "Can be represented nicely for on an resume"... last time I write anything after 3 am

TCScrutinizer

Bronze

Post by TCScrutinizer » Mon Jun 28, 2010 3:34 am

rman1201 wrote:

I mean it's not a bad gig if you go to Michigan on a full scholarship and have no debt. The work in India can be represented nicely on a resume and is a good way to get some experience if you don't have any success landing a firm job right away. The pay is better than CoL in India, the average disposable salary in India is only $5,400. Just don't do it with any debt...

Origninally wrote "Can be represented nicely for on an resume"... last time I write anything after 3 am
Also better than no job at all, I would imagine. I'd do it if I had no better legal prospects, even with debt. You're screwed either way.

applepiecrust

Bronze

Post by applepiecrust » Mon Jun 28, 2010 3:40 am

Also, do LLM and JD students share the job posting board? If that's the case, this posting would make sense, since a lot of LLM students come from other countries.

(For instance, I know an LLM grad from UChicago coming back to India to work because he didn't get employment in the US)

Reinhardt

Bronze

Post by Reinhardt » Mon Jun 28, 2010 3:58 am

The salaries on that page seem to be for India-trained attorneys. Some students at Mich are from India, and others likely have a strong interest in India. Letting them know of a job there is hardly a crime.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

ppa840

Bronze

Post by ppa840 » Wed Jun 30, 2010 2:09 pm

"The Growth of Legal Outsourcing: Passage to India"

http://www.economist.com/node/16439006

Voyager

Silver

Post by Voyager » Wed Jun 30, 2010 4:10 pm

rman1201 wrote:This whole ordeal has been exaggerated. Yes it's a terrible that any T14 grad could end up in India making $12,000 a year. But merely posting the job doesn't mean the bottom 60% of the class is going to end up working there. With 99.7% of graduates reporting, only 7 had international jobs, how many of those were for an Indian LPO is unknown. Any that do go are probably just looking for some sort of overseas experience for a year or two to make their resume look pretty.
you think working at an Indian doc review shop is going to make your resume pretty?

hilarious.

the job posting is an indicator of dearth of employment opportunities out there. the fact that Michigan is posting it is scary.

Jeff Mangum

New

Post by Jeff Mangum » Wed Jun 30, 2010 7:02 pm

TCScrutinizer wrote:
rman1201 wrote:

Also better than no job at all, I would imagine. I'd do it if I had no better legal prospects, even with debt. You're screwed either way.
At that salary, you would not have to pay back your debt under Michigan's LRAP, as long as it's full time legal work:
--LinkRemoved--

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”