What school won you over with money? Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
itsfine

Bronze

What school won you over with money?

Post by itsfine » Fri Jun 25, 2010 12:00 am

So as I decide what school to attend, I have a feeling I will be attending a 'lesser' school because of substantial scholarship money...and it doesnt feel good to turn down a better school bc another offered you SS....

anyone care to share what school they are attending bc of scholly money, and what school they hate to say no to because of it??

xyzzzzzzzz

Bronze

Re: What school won you over with money?

Post by xyzzzzzzzz » Fri Jun 25, 2010 1:53 am

curious too...bump

manbearwig

Bronze

Post by manbearwig » Fri Jun 25, 2010 12:46 pm

I got a full ride at Temple (Mid T2). I turned down W&M, BU, BC, and GW, and I had gotten a partial scholarship from all except GW. I also didn't ride the waitlists for Vandy and Duke.

(Note, though, that I've lived outside of Philly my whole life and I want to stay in/near the city after I graduate.)

missvik218

Silver

Post by missvik218 » Fri Jun 25, 2010 12:48 pm

IS-tuition from UGA got me to turn down acceptances from GW and Emory as well as a 30k scholarship from WUSTL.

ggocat

Gold

Post by ggocat » Fri Jun 25, 2010 12:52 pm

Attended Mercer. Turned down Iowa, Arizona (with money), Houston (with money), and some other second tier schools.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

thickfreakness

Silver

Post by thickfreakness » Fri Jun 25, 2010 12:58 pm

Duke. But I didn't apply to CCN so I guess I didn't turn anything better down.

sumus romani

Silver

Post by sumus romani » Fri Jun 25, 2010 1:04 pm

MVPB with $60,000 over CN (not Columbia). That was a good choice, right? I'm far from set on biglaw, but might try it if the opportunity presents itself.

Grizz

Diamond

Post by Grizz » Fri Jun 25, 2010 1:14 pm

Vanderbilt, but I guess it was really my best option. Decided not to ride WL at Duke and UVA, and gave up sizable monies at UF and UGA, considering I want to practice in FL or GA in all likelihood.

scribelaw

Silver

Post by scribelaw » Fri Jun 25, 2010 1:24 pm

I turned down sticker @ NYU (and $30,000 from Northwestern) for $90,000 at Georgetown.

My reasons: DC is my preferred market and I don't really want to work in New York City. I also have ties to two secondary markets which are well-represented at Georgetown's OCI. So, I took the money.

I viewed $90k+ as game-changer range, because I should be able to keep total debt around or below $100,000. That provides a lot more flexibility than going $200,000 in debt at NYU.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Great Satchmo

Silver

Post by Great Satchmo » Fri Jun 25, 2010 2:05 pm

McGeorge with $75k (no GPA requirement) over Cardozo and Loyola at sticker, and some money at USD and USF.

None of the schools have the most stellar employment stats, so why nitpick over a couple percentage points for that much money? Plus, Sacramento is probably an easier market to try to find work in compared to SF, SD, NY, or LA from those schools.

weee

Bronze

Post by weee » Fri Jun 25, 2010 2:09 pm

I took $$ at UCLA over $ at Mich because it was basically a tie when they both had offered me $ UCLA upped it for me and that sealed the deal.

Also I can't do cold weather. I'll probably still always wonder "what if" but I made a similar choice for undergrad too, chose USC over Berkeley thanks to $, and I feel it was the right choice.

gdane

Diamond

Post by gdane » Fri Jun 25, 2010 3:18 pm

scribelaw wrote:I turned down sticker @ NYU (and $30,000 from Northwestern) for $90,000 at Georgetown.

My reasons: DC is my preferred market and I don't really want to work in New York City. I also have ties to two secondary markets which are well-represented at Georgetown's OCI. So, I took the money.

I viewed $90k+ as game-changer range, because I should be able to keep total debt around or below $100,000. That provides a lot more flexibility than going $200,000 in debt at NYU.
This was a great decision. A no brainer. I hope you enjoy Georgetown.

Cosmo Kramer

Bronze

Post by Cosmo Kramer » Fri Jun 25, 2010 3:27 pm

manbearwig wrote:I got a full ride at Temple (Mid T2). I turned down W&M, BU, BC, and GW, and I had gotten a partial scholarship from all except GW. I also didn't ride the waitlists for Vandy and Duke.

(Note, though, that I've lived outside of Philly my whole life and I want to stay in/near the city after I graduate.)

Samesies dude. I'll see you in the fall!

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

goosey

Gold

Post by goosey » Fri Jun 25, 2010 3:42 pm

brooklyn (full ride) over fordham half tuition in need-based aid.

ArtVandelay

Bronze

Post by ArtVandelay » Fri Jun 25, 2010 3:43 pm

Notre Dame 20k/yr over Georgetown sticker.

I'm not religious and would much rather be in DC, but I just couldn't justify the extra ~100k (factoring in COL.) It wasn't an easy decision and I'm hoping I won't regret it.

goosey

Gold

Post by goosey » Fri Jun 25, 2010 6:11 pm

ArtVandelay wrote: hoping I won't regret it.

a sentiment I can relate to :|

itsfine

Bronze

Post by itsfine » Fri Jun 25, 2010 7:17 pm

goosey wrote:

i hear that. I tremble to say no.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

rando

Silver

Post by rando » Fri Jun 25, 2010 7:22 pm

$$$$ at Emory over UVA & Duke - sticker

ggocat

Gold

Post by ggocat » Fri Jun 25, 2010 7:23 pm

itsfine wrote:
goosey wrote:
As someone who recently graduated after taking the money, I will say this: it's normal to wonder "what if" sometimes, but lacking $120,000+ in debt is a sure thing.

As a graduate ITE, I am really glad I don't have the debt. I would not trade $120K plus interest for the unknown "what if."

rando

Silver

Post by rando » Fri Jun 25, 2010 7:31 pm

ggocat wrote:
itsfine wrote:
goosey wrote:
As someone who recently graduated after taking the money, I will say this: it's normal to wonder "what if" sometimes, but lacking $120,000+ in debt is a sure thing.

As a graduate ITE, I am really glad I don't have the debt. I would not trade $120K plus interest for the unknown "what if."
I had some regrets now and again during 1L year. Not after I got a summer job though. Now I feel like a smart sob.

alirod12

Bronze

Post by alirod12 » Fri Jun 25, 2010 7:37 pm

UVa threw me 90k and it was hard to turn down...I hadn't even considered attending before that.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

ze2151

Bronze

Post by ze2151 » Fri Jun 25, 2010 7:45 pm

it was about more than money, but $$$$Emory over $$ UVa and Duke. i either got a scholarship or a rejection/waitlist. not one school offered me "sticker." go figure

Veyron

Gold

Post by Veyron » Fri Jun 25, 2010 7:56 pm

Dumped NYU for Penn after I talked Penn into matching their scholarship. Would not have done it otherwise. FWIW, people on this chatblog vastly overestimate the degree to which firms differentiate between schools. IMHO, the only truly stupid decisions (for those who don't wish to work in NYC) are turning down a T3 for $ at another T-14, turning down a T-14 for $ somewhere other than a T-14 or turning down the best school in the region in which you wish to practice for $ at any school not a T-14.

missvik218

Silver

Post by missvik218 » Fri Jun 25, 2010 10:12 pm

Veyron wrote:Dumped NYU for Penn after I talked Penn into matching their scholarship. Would not have done it otherwise. FWIW, people on this chatblog vastly overestimate the degree to which firms differentiate between schools. IMHO, the only truly stupid decisions (for those who don't wish to work in NYC) are turning down a T3 for $ at another T-14, turning down a T-14 for $ somewhere other than a T-14 or turning down the best school in the region in which you wish to practice for $ at any school not a T-14.
Uh oh ... it could be argued that I did exactly that :?

ArtVandelay

Bronze

Post by ArtVandelay » Sat Jun 26, 2010 3:18 pm

Veyron wrote:Dumped NYU for Penn after I talked Penn into matching their scholarship. Would not have done it otherwise. FWIW, people on this chatblog vastly overestimate the degree to which firms differentiate between schools. IMHO, the only truly stupid decisions (for those who don't wish to work in NYC) are turning down a T3 for $ at another T-14, turning down a T-14 for $ somewhere other than a T-14 or turning down the best school in the region in which you wish to practice for $ at any school not a T-14.
Did it.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”