Vandy (Sticker) vs. UGA (In-state), For Real This Time Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

Which?

Vandy ($44,900/yr + COL)
53%
UGA ($14,148/yr + COL)
47%

Total votes: 136

TheBigMediocre

Silver

Re: Vandy (Sticker) vs. UGA (In-state), For Real This Time

Post by TheBigMediocre » Wed Jun 23, 2010 9:26 am

rad law wrote:
steph404 wrote:The only reason Vandy outperforms Emory is because more Emory kids go to NY/DC and don't stick around.
I don't know where you came up with this, but no lawyer, law student, ANYONE has even expressed anything similar to this statement.
To put it into perspective, Steph404 = Emory Class of 2013

Grizz

Diamond

Post by Grizz » Wed Jun 23, 2010 9:31 am

Barolo wrote:In Atlanta, they love them some Dawgs.
Big firms love Vanderbilt more.

BigMediocre, PM sent.

Grizz

Diamond

Post by Grizz » Wed Jun 23, 2010 9:33 am

steph404 wrote:UGA is well respected in Atlanta biglaw. The only reason Vandy outperforms Emory is because more Emory kids go to NY/DC and don't stick around.
PS just incidentally, a plurality of Vanderbilt grads took the NY bar last year, and Vanderbilt grads have been aiming for NY/DC for years, so I don't think this is gonna fly.

romothesavior

Diamond

Post by romothesavior » Wed Jun 23, 2010 9:33 am

steph404 wrote:UGA is well respected in Atlanta biglaw. The only reason Vandy outperforms Emory is because more Emory kids go to NY/DC and don't stick around.

The massive student debt is not worth potential mobility that it doesn't sound like you are looking for.
1) What does this thread have to do with Emory?
2) You're wrong.

keg411

Platinum

Post by keg411 » Wed Jun 23, 2010 9:40 am

romothesavior wrote:

The massive student debt is not worth potential mobility that it doesn't sound like you are looking for.
2) You're wrong.
Romo and rad law - do you both really think Vandy is worth sticker? Really? I mean, if OP can get COL taken out of the equation, it gets closer, but right now he's considering $200k in debt. That's a terrifying number.

I'd say the first point is weird (WTF does Emory have to do with this?), but the second point is probably accurate.
Last edited by keg411 on Wed Jun 23, 2010 9:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

rando

Silver

Post by rando » Wed Jun 23, 2010 9:40 am

rad law wrote:
steph404 wrote:The only reason Vandy outperforms Emory is because more Emory kids go to NY/DC and don't stick around.
Small derail.

The problem is qualifying outperform. If i is sheer numbers then Emory takes it hands down. If it is two otherwise equal students with same grades etc then Vandy no question.

Dont forget all the little things like alumni hiring and the question of local ties when comparing schools in a given area.

As all this relates to op's question. If you want to practice in ga then uga is the only smart choice. If you want any mobility even within the southeasr then Vandy.

As for the silly murphys law statement. Bottom of the class is screwed at both schools. I would opt for no debt if im going to be unemployed.

I don't know where you came up with this, but no lawyer, law student, ANYONE has even expressed anything similar to this statement.

lawls

Bronze

Post by lawls » Wed Jun 23, 2010 9:49 am

Are you basically straight out of undergrad (21-23 years old), or an older student? I'd be more wary of the big debt if you are getting close to 30. 5 years worth of earning differential adds up quick.

Grizz

Diamond

Post by Grizz » Wed Jun 23, 2010 9:53 am

rando wrote:
rad law wrote:
Small derail.

The problem is qualifying outperform. If i is sheer numbers then Emory takes it hands down. If it is two otherwise equal students with same grades etc then Vandy no question.

Dont forget all the little things like alumni hiring and the question of local ties when comparing schools in a given area.

As all this relates to op's question. If you want to practice in ga then uga is the only smart choice. If you want any mobility even within the southeasr then Vandy.

As for the silly murphys law statement. Bottom of the class is screwed at both schools. I would opt for no debt if im going to be unemployed.
I agree with Rando, and was not thinking in a purely numbers context, as that line of reasoning can lead to obvious absurdities (in a numbers context, GULC > Yale in DC). My issue was more with the reasoning of steph.

Grizz

Diamond

Post by Grizz » Wed Jun 23, 2010 9:55 am

keg411 wrote: Romo and rad law - do you both really think Vandy is worth sticker? Really? I mean, if OP can get COL taken out of the equation, it gets closer, but right now he's considering $200k in debt. That's a terrifying number.
No, I don't, but this is one of the rare instances where I would recommend it due to some PMs I've exchanged with BigMediocre and the fact that Emory $$ is not an option.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

steph404

New

Post by steph404 » Wed Jun 23, 2010 10:13 am

TheBigMediocre wrote:
rad law wrote:

Actually, graduated a few years ago. Sorry for offering the perspective of a practicing lawyer in ATL.

Grizz

Diamond

Post by Grizz » Wed Jun 23, 2010 10:22 am

steph404 wrote:
TheBigMediocre wrote:
rad law wrote:
Actually, graduated a few years ago. Sorry for offering the perspective of a practicing lawyer in ATL.
Not meant to be a dig, what you said just goes against everything I heard. Again, depends what you mean by outperform. And I'd still love to hear you explain the reasoning.

rando

Silver

Post by rando » Wed Jun 23, 2010 10:31 am

Where I agree with steph is that most of the very best students leave atl. That is, those at the top of the class choose to go to ny, chi, or dc. However, i dont think this is any different than vandy. Where it actually becomes a valid comparison is uga v emory.

Ok. Back to work for me.

Grizz

Diamond

Post by Grizz » Wed Jun 23, 2010 10:40 am

rando wrote:Where I agree with steph is that most of the very best students leave atl. That is, those at the top of the class choose to go to ny, chi, or dc. However, i dont think this is any different than vandy.
This.

Anyways, sorry for the thread derail

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

romothesavior

Diamond

Post by romothesavior » Wed Jun 23, 2010 11:12 am

keg411 wrote:
romothesavior wrote:

2) You're wrong.
Romo and rad law - do you both really think Vandy is worth sticker? Really?
No, I voted for Georgia. Not sure where you are getting that I think Vandy is worth sticker? I don't think it is worth sticker and I have said multiple times in multiple threads that I wouldn't pay sticker outside of T10.

I'm just saying that bringing Emory into this discussion is stupid, and steph's comment about Emory kids going to NY/DC is silly considering so many Vandy kids go to NY/DC.

ze2151

Bronze

Post by ze2151 » Wed Jun 23, 2010 1:15 pm

if it were my money, i'd go to uga. but maybe you're independently wealthy.

it is a shame that (according to rad law) emory w/ cash isn't an option.

and emory stuck its nose into this thread b/c we're talking about atlanta and, much to the chagrin of some on this forum, emory is a big player there and in the southeast market. i'm not informed enough to say that an equally qualified and ranked vandy student would outperform an emory grad or vice versa. vanderbilt's name is probably out there a little more (well, ok definitely) and that will help its reach (so will its alumni network). but let's not turn this into a southern law school spitting contest. as someone else has said, no matter where you are, bottom of the class is probably bad news.

i voted UGA just because, in the short time i've been in ATL, i've seen more UGA apparel and partisans than i ever could have imagined. many many professionals with 5,000 dollar suits and 50,000 dollar cars with UGGA the dog on the dash. should you perform well in law school, i can't imagine the UGA name would hurt your employment prospects here. plus athens is really cool.

keg411

Platinum

Post by keg411 » Wed Jun 23, 2010 1:38 pm

romothesavior wrote:
keg411 wrote:
romothesavior wrote:

2) You're wrong.
Romo and rad law - do you both really think Vandy is worth sticker? Really?
No, I voted for Georgia. Not sure where you are getting that I think Vandy is worth sticker? I don't think it is worth sticker and I have said multiple times in multiple threads that I wouldn't pay sticker outside of T10.

I'm just saying that bringing Emory into this discussion is stupid, and steph's comment about Emory kids going to NY/DC is silly considering so many Vandy kids go to NY/DC.
I thought you were saying "you're wrong" to her second sentence which adresses the $$ issue.

romothesavior

Diamond

Post by romothesavior » Wed Jun 23, 2010 1:42 pm

I can understand the confusion, keg.

I still say UGA.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

TheBigMediocre

Silver

Post by TheBigMediocre » Wed Jun 23, 2010 8:28 pm

They overnighted the accepted students package yesterday and I received it in the mail today. This thing is massive and fairly persuasive. Ugh.

jaxangler

New

Post by jaxangler » Wed Jun 23, 2010 8:39 pm

I voted UGA. Vandy is certainly impressive, and the name will carry weight, but you want Atlanta or Charleston. Vandy may open a few more doors, but UGA isn't closing any doors in either of those locations. Do well at UGA, enjoy Athens and the beautiful women it provides, and graduate with an amount of debt that is reasonable. You will be much happier paying off 90k in debt rather than 200k when you working.

stratocophic

Gold

Post by stratocophic » Wed Jun 23, 2010 9:03 pm

jaxangler wrote:I voted UGA. Vandy is certainly impressive, and the name will carry weight, but you want Atlanta or Charleston. Vandy may open a few more doors, but UGA isn't closing any doors in either of those locations. Do well at UGA, enjoy Athens and the beautiful women it provides, and graduate with an amount of debt that is reasonable. You will be much happier paying off 90k in debt rather than 200k when you working.
I'm a huge prestige whore, and this was my reasoning in choosing a lower-ranked and cheaper (via scholarship) school over Vandy at near-sticker. Vandy's fantastic (city, campus, and I'll miss the sports most of all!)... but when considering that kind of debt, I'd rather not set 2x the debt against a mere better shot at landing the type of job required to pay off the extra debt quickly. Good grades =/= Biglaw Secure (ask the no-offers and shafted top 15% kids from places like Michigan and Virginia) and middling/bad grades doesn't necessarily mean doc review (although, word of caution, it's safer to assume that it is and work as though it isn't from what I've gleaned from the wisdom of Matthies). You're making your decision without knowing whether you will even fall withing that near 50% Biglaw number. You already know the debt situation to a certainty. Given your goals and preferred location, UGA is TCR.

alexonfyre

Bronze

Post by alexonfyre » Wed Jun 23, 2010 9:26 pm

deadpanic wrote:While that it is quite a bit of debt, I still say Vandy.

You are going to be well ahead of any UGA grad going for the same job in ATL or Chucktown for that matter.
This man has never lived or worked in law in Atlanta.
In my 5 years there I met many a partner, aside from the IP guys, over 60 percent were UGA grads (5 of the 9 I can think of). The UGA alumni network in ATL is insane, trust me. Emory is hated by a lot of judges, but loved by firms. GSU is the opposite.

Vandy is a great school, but your ROI is tremendously better at UGA, particularly given your preferences.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Grizz

Diamond

Post by Grizz » Wed Jun 23, 2010 9:38 pm

alexonfyre wrote:

You are going to be well ahead of any UGA grad going for the same job in ATL or Chucktown for that matter.
In my 5 years there I met many a partner, aside from the IP guys, they were overwhelmingly UGA grads. The UGA alumni network in ATL is insane, trust me.

Vandy is a great school, but your ROI is tremendously better at UGA, particularly given your preferences.
Sheer numbers =/= placement power. You can't just look at it like that. For example, ATL big firm employers for wild for UVA grads, but you don't see a lot of them. Why? Not a lot of UVA people choose to come to Atlanta. You have to take into account self-selection.

alexonfyre

Bronze

Post by alexonfyre » Wed Jun 23, 2010 9:42 pm

rad law wrote:
alexonfyre wrote:

In my 5 years there I met many a partner, aside from the IP guys, they were overwhelmingly UGA grads. The UGA alumni network in ATL is insane, trust me.

Sheer numbers =/= placement power. You can't just look at it like that. For example, ATL big firm employers for wild for UVA grads, but you don't see a lot of them. Why? Not a lot of UVA people choose to come to Atlanta. You have to take into account self-selection.
Truth in that. The guys I knew were all top 10% at UGA, if you can do that (and if you got into Vandy, you can), then you are good to go.
Sidenote: when I was in Atlanta I was convinced that UVA must be the best law school in the world, the way everyone there talked about it. I mean it is incredible for sure, but Atlanta thinks it is like HYS, it is really weird.

I stand by my ROI assessment though.

Grizz

Diamond

Post by Grizz » Wed Jun 23, 2010 9:55 pm

alexonfyre wrote: Truth in that. The guys I knew were all top 10% at UGA, if you can do that (and if you got into Vandy, you can), then you are good to go.
I'd caution against this reasoning, due to the exceptional nature of law school exams and the study of law itself, which are unlike anything one has studied before. It's not just a new subject, it's a new way of learning and considering material. LSAT and GPA don't correlate well to LS scores. They do, but not well. I think there are stats floating around TLS somewhere if I recall correctly. Anyone in LS has anecdotes about 25% GPA/LSAT combos who are top 10% or 170+ LSATs who are at the bottom.

A safer strategy is not to go anywhere you wouldn't be happy at median.

romothesavior

Diamond

Post by romothesavior » Wed Jun 23, 2010 10:13 pm

TheBigMediocre wrote:They overnighted the accepted students package yesterday and I received it in the mail today. This thing is massive and fairly persuasive. Ugh.
Yes, the Obiter Dictum is awesome. I threw away all my admissions materials when I moved home from undergrad, throwing away viewbooks, class profile sheets, alumni mags, acceptance letters, etc. I kept Cornell's and the Obiter Dictum. They were both too nice to throw out.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”