Teaching Kaplan this summer Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
Blimpo12

New

Teaching Kaplan this summer

Post by Blimpo12 » Sun Jun 20, 2010 9:20 pm

I need some advice.

Starting Law School in August.

Im about to complete training to become a Kaplan Lsat teacher. I am now having second thoughts if I should take on a class or not. I don't want to risk being burnt out before 1L as the prep for teaching is pretty intense. (In addition to my other job).

What does everybody think? Should I teach a class or just relax until school starts?

miamiman

Silver

Re: Teaching Kaplan this summer

Post by miamiman » Sun Jun 20, 2010 9:32 pm

Blimpo12 wrote:I need some advice.

Starting Law School in August.

Im about to complete training to become a Kaplan Lsat teacher. I am now having second thoughts if I should take on a class or not. I don't want to risk being burnt out before 1L as the prep for teaching is pretty intense. (In addition to my other job).

What does everybody think? Should I teach a class or just relax until school starts?
fwiw, i never prepped as a Kaplan instructor. And, no, I'm not saying this to gloat; rather, I'm telling you because I suspect it's both possible and advisable to use the TEL as a guide and just lecture off the cuff as I did. Perhaps I could have been an ever stronger teacher by memorizing the scripts but my teacher ratings were still pretty high.

Do whatever works for you but I don't think you need to gun hard for this job.

straxen

Bronze

Post by straxen » Sun Jun 20, 2010 9:42 pm

FWIW...I took 18 credit hours in college while teaching a Kaplan Extreme Course that met up to four times a week and included about 10 hours a week of tutoring on the side and was fine. In other words, calling teaching Kaplan "work" is a stretch, I don't think you'll burn out unless you take it waaay too seriously.

Blimpo12

New

Post by Blimpo12 » Sun Jun 20, 2010 9:56 pm

straxen wrote:FWIW...I took 18 credit hours in college while teaching a Kaplan Extreme Course that met up to four times a week and included about 10 hours a week of tutoring on the side and was fine. In other words, calling teaching Kaplan "work" is a stretch, I don't think you'll burn out unless you take it waaay too seriously.
I tend to take these things too seriously.

gwuorbust

Gold

Post by gwuorbust » Mon Jun 21, 2010 9:22 am

Blimpo12 wrote:
straxen wrote:FWIW...I took 18 credit hours in college while teaching a Kaplan Extreme Course that met up to four times a week and included about 10 hours a week of tutoring on the side and was fine. In other words, calling teaching Kaplan "work" is a stretch, I don't think you'll burn out unless you take it waaay too seriously.
I tend to take these things too seriously.
then have an ambulance on call during LS cause I predict heart attack.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”