Really Odd Question Do Law School Prof's know Fin AID status Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
bestusernameever

New

Really Odd Question Do Law School Prof's know Fin AID status

Post by bestusernameever » Sun Jun 13, 2010 10:48 pm

At my college, many college professors looked up with the requirements were to keep scholarships for students on grade borderlines. I had to keep a 3.5 as I had a pretty sweet scholarship and one of my Physics professor (I was pre-med) my freshman year allowed me to submit extra credit so I would not have to worry about losing my scholarship. I know that you need to bust your ass at law school, but do professors at law schools sometimes know your financial aid status? Because it was pretty common in college for professors to bump grades up to make sure students keep financial aid.

I am not expecting or looking for an easy way out when I start law school (I start the following year and managed to get my scholarship offer deferred) but just wanted to know if prospects for losing financial aid ever cause professors to sometimes grant some slack.

rbgrocio

Silver

Re: Really Odd Question Do Law School Prof's know Fin AID status

Post by rbgrocio » Sun Jun 13, 2010 10:50 pm

bestusernameever wrote:At my college, many college professors looked up with the requirements were to keep scholarships for students on grade borderlines. I had to keep a 3.5 as I had a pretty sweet scholarship and one of my Physics professor (I was pre-med) my freshman year allowed me to submit extra credit so I would not have to worry about losing my scholarship. I know that you need to bust your ass at law school, but do professors at law schools sometimes know your financial aid status? Because it was pretty common in college for professors to bump grades up to make sure students keep financial aid.

I am not expecting or looking for an easy way out when I start law school (I start the following year and managed to get my scholarship offer deferred) but just wanted to know if prospects for losing financial aid ever cause professors to sometimes grant some slack.

My answer is: I doubt it! some people with fin. aid at my school have been kicked out because they fell below 2.0

Cleareyes

Bronze

Post by Cleareyes » Sun Jun 13, 2010 10:51 pm

Law school tests are supposed to be blind graded. I don't think they know your financial aid status, but even if they did they wouldn't be able to connect it to your randomly generated test number.

bestusernameever

New

Post by bestusernameever » Sun Jun 13, 2010 10:52 pm

Cleareyes wrote:Law school tests are supposed to be blind graded. I don't think they know your financial aid status, but even if they did they wouldn't be able to connect it to your randomly generated test number.
Thanks. I actually did not know that law school exams are blindly graded. Even the essay exams? good to know!

romothesavior

Diamond

Post by romothesavior » Sun Jun 13, 2010 10:55 pm

bestusernameever wrote:
Cleareyes wrote:Law school tests are supposed to be blind graded. I don't think they know your financial aid status, but even if they did they wouldn't be able to connect it to your randomly generated test number.
Thanks. I actually did not know that law school exams are blindly graded. Even the essay exams? good to know!
Essay exams = law school exams.

Some exams may have multiple choice included as well, but I have never heard of a law school exam with no essay format at all.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Cleareyes

Bronze

Post by Cleareyes » Sun Jun 13, 2010 10:56 pm

bestusernameever wrote:
At my school it is possible to take 2 classes that are not blind graded 1L year. LRW, for kind of obvious reasons (your instructor reads drafts of your memos/briefs so blind grading would be pointless) and your elective which might have a paper or a final presentation for the grade. Obviously if it's a paper the prof would have okayed the topic so blind grading would be silly, and if it's a presentation or whatever done in class, well, you get the idea there.

There are rumors of profs peeking and adjusting grades but they are just that. Rumors. I don't think they know financial aid status either, but at my school I don't think there are any conditional scholarships so it wouldn't matter if they did.

bestusernameever

New

Post by bestusernameever » Sun Jun 13, 2010 10:58 pm

romothesavior wrote:
bestusernameever wrote:

Some exams may have multiple choice included as well, but I have never heard of a law school exam with no essay format at all.
Haha, to be quite honest, I did not really research that much about what law school is actually like before I applied (read plenty about how to get in lol). Thanks

Cleareyes

Bronze

Post by Cleareyes » Sun Jun 13, 2010 11:02 pm

bestusernameever wrote: Haha, to be quite honest, I did not really research that much about what law school is actually like before I applied (read plenty about how to get in lol). Thanks
This bodes well....

Anyway, don't expect profs to care about your financial aid. Also: http://abovethelaw.com/2010/06/deans-fi ... ge-of-law/

flhealth

Bronze

Post by flhealth » Mon Jun 14, 2010 9:53 pm

romothesavior wrote:
bestusernameever wrote:

Wrong.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

romothesavior

Diamond

Post by romothesavior » Mon Jun 14, 2010 9:56 pm

flhealth wrote:
romothesavior wrote:
bestusernameever wrote:

Wrong.
How the hell do you know if what I heard is wrong? Really witty, douchetastic one-liner. You burned me good!

I leave open that it is possible that multiple-choice only exams exist, and maybe some people on TLS have taken them. All I'm saying is that I've never heard of them. A prof of mine who graduated from Emory about 10-15 years ago told me that all of his exams had some sort of essay or short-answer component. And I don't think it is a stretch to say that the vast majority of law school exams have some sort of writing component.

Either way, OP, don't worry about this.

DerrickRose

Silver

Post by DerrickRose » Mon Jun 14, 2010 10:02 pm

My crim law exam was 2/3 multiple choice, that's the highest percentage I've heard of.

Oh, and for OP, professors don't know about financial aid status, if they did they wouldn't care, if they cared they wouldn't be able to do anything about it because of blind grading, and if someone tried to make them do it they would refuse and go to a different school that let them teach how they want.

Don't worry about that.

flhealth

Bronze

Post by flhealth » Mon Jun 14, 2010 10:04 pm

my civ pro, conlaw, and property exams were all MC only.

DerrickRose

Silver

Post by DerrickRose » Mon Jun 14, 2010 10:06 pm

flhealth wrote:my civ pro, conlaw, and property exams were all MC only.
zOMG, do U go 2 cooley!!?!?

:wink:

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

flhealth

Bronze

Post by flhealth » Mon Jun 14, 2010 10:08 pm

DerrickRose wrote:

close: http://www.peoplescollegeoflaw.edu/

rbgrocio

Silver

Post by rbgrocio » Tue Jun 15, 2010 8:02 pm

DerrickRose wrote:

I have only had property and con. law all MC, but I go to the same school as flhealth does. And now, it is not Cooley! and yes, I suck at those MC tests!! The law is so ambiguous it makes no sense to test it in MC. However, the bar is mostly MC, so I'm going to have to learn how to deal with it!

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Return to “Choosing a Law School”