California regionals Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
apropos

New

California regionals

Post by apropos » Sat Jun 12, 2010 7:38 pm

So this is the second of two issues I'm considering for law school applications. I'm trying to have some decisions almost set before I start making applications.

I have a fairly clear idea of where I want to live: California between LA and SF--excluding LA and SF. So that's primarily Monterey area and Santa Barbara area. It's not 100%, and there are other strong candidates like Seattle and San Diego. But things are fairly clear for those two places-- USD and Wash-Seattle for regional choices.

So my question is which California schools are best for these areas (Santa Barbara to Monterey). I imagine there isn't much big law, and probably only small law. But, nonetheless, what are the law opportunities in these areas, and which schools are best for this region outside schools with strong national reputations. In other words, I'm looking for some safeties that would put me in this area. Or am I hoping against reality that there's anything in these smaller markets?

im_blue

Gold

Re: California regionals

Post by im_blue » Sat Jun 12, 2010 9:12 pm

Stanford, Berkeley, UCLA, USC, UC Hastings, UC Davis

crossingforHYS

Silver

Post by crossingforHYS » Sat Jun 12, 2010 9:13 pm

pepperdine, chapman, davis

apropos

New

Post by apropos » Sat Jun 12, 2010 9:20 pm

im_blue wrote:Stanford, Berkeley, UCLA, USC, UC Hastings, UC Davis
Cool, thanks. Those are the CA schools in the top 50. Are any of them more strongly favored in that Central coast area? (Beyond the order of their rankings.) I've been told USC is stronger in LA for big law. Is UCLA better in nearby areas?

Also, what about USD? Does it have a name for itself at all north of LA?

im_blue

Gold

Post by im_blue » Sat Jun 12, 2010 9:21 pm

apropos wrote:
im_blue wrote:Stanford, Berkeley, UCLA, USC, UC Hastings, UC Davis
Cool, thanks. Those are the CA schools in the top 50. Are any of them more strongly favored in that Central coast area? (Beyond the order of their rankings.) I've been told USC is stronger in LA for big law. Is UCLA better in nearby areas?

Also, what about USD? Does it have a name for itself at all north of LA?
Don't know about USD, but UCLA definitely travels farther outside of LA than USC. UCLA and USC are about equal for LA.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

apropos

New

Post by apropos » Sat Jun 12, 2010 9:27 pm

crossingforHYS wrote:pepperdine, chapman, davis
Great. I hadn't looked at either Pepperdine or Chapman very closely. I suppose (edit:) Pepperdime has the geographical advantage. Would this matter as much for smaller markets since there would be fewer alumni soldiers helping clear paths for you?

crossingforHYS

Silver

Post by crossingforHYS » Sat Jun 12, 2010 9:36 pm

apropos wrote:
Great. I hadn't looked at either Pepperdine or Chapman very closely. I suppose (edit:) Pepperdime has the geographical advantage. Would this matter as much for smaller markets since there would be fewer alumni soldiers helping clear paths for you?
reason I mentioned those two is because I know people at both. Pepperdine has a growing alumni base, and because of Ken Starr (no longer with them) the school gained a lot of perstige. They had half of the supremem court justices come and speak with them. So I see the alumni base growing.

Chapman...has a dean that LOVES it and will invest tons of money in it...but mostly a safety I assume for you

there is always southwestern (but IN la), loyola (also in la, but highly regarded), UCI...not accredited but with promice and ofcourse hastings and thomas jefferson. These once again are or could be safties...but it never hurts to look at all options!

good luck!

apropos

New

Post by apropos » Sat Jun 12, 2010 9:47 pm

crossingforHYS wrote:
apropos wrote:
reason I mentioned those two is because I know people at both. Pepperdine has a growing alumni base, and because of Ken Starr (no longer with them) the school gained a lot of perstige. They had half of the supremem court justices come and speak with them. So I see the alumni base growing.

Chapman...has a dean that LOVES it and will invest tons of money in it...but mostly a safety I assume for you

there is always southwestern (but IN la), loyola (also in la, but highly regarded), UCI...not accredited but with promice and ofcourse hastings and thomas jefferson. These once again are or could be safties...but it never hurts to look at all options!

good luck!
Ah, Southwestern is another one I hadn't looked into. Excellent. I looked at Thomas Jefferson while I was in SD, but I'm pretty sure I'll leave it out because I'm sure (as sure as one can be, that is) that I'll get into USD, and San Diego seems to love USD. And TJ, I assume, can't go anywhere else.

Those would definitely be deep safety schools. But since I'm not very interested in big-law, and I have a strong idea of where I want to live, money is going to be a bigger factor than prestige than it is for a lot of people. So going deep might be a good idea to increase my chances of more money through immediately offered scholarships and negotiations.

apropos

New

Post by apropos » Sat Jun 12, 2010 10:00 pm

While I'm at it: Of these schools we're talking about, are any particularly strong in any of these areas:

Intellectual Property

Environmental (Is it better to go up to Oregon. I hear schools up there are better here.)

Public Interest

Do the specializations really matter much for law school?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Choosing a Law School”