uga vs job in nyc vs emory, wustl, indiana, nd, bc, w&m Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
what to do

New

uga vs job in nyc vs emory, wustl, indiana, nd, bc, w&m

Post by what to do » Sat Jun 12, 2010 4:58 pm

Guys,
I kept waiting for this to come to me but it never did. Here's the problem: I am currently into uga and waitlisted at emory, wustl, indiana, nd, bc and w&m. I also have a job as a paralegal at a top law firm in nyc, which I originally interviewed for as a backup plan. Early in the admissions process, I had my heart set on a t-14 but that obviously didn't pan out. Now I am leaning towards taking the job in nyc, and reapplying in two years to try to get into a school I really want to go to.

BUT, as the second seat deposit approaches at uga, I have been reading up a lot on the school and I wonder if it is too good a deal to pass up. I am out of state, but I have a small scholarship and expect to get in-state tuition after the first year if I were to go to uga. I have read a lot that uga has a good presence in ga, but I'm not sure if I want to make a long term commitment the state of georgia seeing as it is a regional school. That being said, I feel as though Atlanta in particular is up and coming and a happening place to be-- I just don't know much about it.

As you can tell, I don't know what to think. I am familiar with the northeast and probably would prefer to stay here. However, even if I were to get in off the waitlist at say BC, I am wondering if the substantially increased cost is even worth it. Basically tlsers, if you were me, what would you do? Would you take the job in nyc and reapply in two years? Would you go to uga and be on with your career as a lawyer? Is there one school you would particularly jump for on the waitlist? I appreciate your opinions.

Also, I'm not really sure what I type of lawyer I want to be, but I may be interested in biglaw.

cjt123

New

Re: uga vs job in nyc vs emory, wustl, indiana, nd, bc, w&m

Post by cjt123 » Sat Jun 12, 2010 6:31 pm

TAKE THE JOB.

concurrent fork

Silver

Post by concurrent fork » Sun Jun 13, 2010 1:08 pm

what to do wrote:Now I am leaning towards taking the job in nyc, and reapplying in two years to try to get into a school I really want to go to.
It seems like you already know what to do. Use this time to study and retake the LSAT, while giving the economy a couple of years to improve. Don't settle if you feel you can do better.

TheBigMediocre

Silver

Post by TheBigMediocre » Sun Jun 13, 2010 1:15 pm

I'm going to UGA and I'm saying to take the job. I have my heart set on GA/the Southeast, so UGA is an excellent fit for me. From what you've written, it's not the same case for you. Work for two years, bank as much money as you can, make contacts at the firm, study for your LSAT, and reapply.

Gold

Post by 98234872348 » Sun Jun 13, 2010 1:19 pm

what to do wrote:As you can tell, I don't know what to think. I am familiar with the northeast and probably would prefer to stay here.
If you do not want to practice in Ga you should not be going to UGA. Period.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Grizz

Diamond

Post by Grizz » Sun Jun 13, 2010 1:29 pm

Don't go to UGA for NE. Take the job.

keg411

Platinum

Post by keg411 » Sun Jun 13, 2010 3:42 pm

cjt123 wrote:TAKE THE JOB.
This. UGA is a fine, cheap, state school, but only if you want to practice in GA.

TheBigMediocre

Silver

Post by TheBigMediocre » Sun Jun 13, 2010 6:33 pm

keg411 wrote:
cjt123 wrote:TAKE THE JOB.
This. UGA is a fine, affordable, state school, but only if you want to practice in GA.
Splitting hairs, but fixed.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Choosing a Law School”