QUICK! Fordham 15k/yr vs. Cardozo 37k/yr Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

Which school?

Fordham with 15k scholarship
85%
Cardozo with 37k scholarship
15%

Total votes: 80

mdgold

New

QUICK! Fordham 15k/yr vs. Cardozo 37k/yr

Post by mdgold » Fri Jun 11, 2010 2:37 pm

I just got into Fordham off the WL for Full time and need to deposit within 1 week.

They offered me $15k a year, guaranteed renewable, but I was getting $37k a year from Cardozo, but top 40% stipulation.

In total, I would be $22/yr in debt extra going to fordham so 66000 more debt.

Im not sure what I want to do, but I am interested in Big law.

HELP! PLEASE!

ALSO Reasons are greatly appreciated! Thanks!
Last edited by mdgold on Fri Jun 11, 2010 2:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

JayTal

Bronze

Re: QUICK! Fordham 15k/yr vs. Cardozo 38k/yr

Post by JayTal » Fri Jun 11, 2010 2:44 pm

'Dozo is pretty notorious for section staking I believe.

tesoro

Bronze

Post by tesoro » Fri Jun 11, 2010 2:46 pm

I'd go with F. Guaranteed scholarship alleviates stress. Do you want to go to your exams knowing that if you don't beat 2 out of every 3 people in the room (roughly), you'll suddenly owe an extra $76,000 in tuition? That sounds really shitty to me.

I turned down a full scholly + housing stipend at BLS for this reason for sticker at F.

Not to mention Fordham BigLaw placement >>> Dozo BigLaw placement.

badpixie

Bronze

Re: QUICK! Fordham 15k/yr vs. Cardozo 37k/yr

Post by badpixie » Fri Jun 11, 2010 2:55 pm

If you are set on big law, I think Fordham is your better choice. But keep in mind that it's not a guarantee, so be sure you are comfortable with the additional debt.

Grizz

Diamond

Post by Grizz » Fri Jun 11, 2010 2:56 pm

Fordham with guaranteed scholarship and better prospects.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Johannes de Silentio

New

Post by Johannes de Silentio » Fri Jun 11, 2010 3:49 pm

Fordham, almost without question in this situation. Awesome that you got a nice scholarship like that this late in the game. What are your numbers?

General Tso

Gold

Post by General Tso » Fri Jun 11, 2010 3:53 pm

Fordham with 15k scholarship

Lawl Shcool

Silver

Post by Lawl Shcool » Fri Jun 11, 2010 3:59 pm

tesoro wrote:I'd go with F. Guaranteed scholarship alleviates stress. Do you want to go to your exams knowing that if you don't beat 2 out of every 3 people in the room (roughly), you'll suddenly owe an extra $76,000 in tuition? That sounds really shitty to me.

I turned down a full scholly + housing stipend at BLS for this reason for sticker at F.

If you don't think your going to beat at least 2 out every 3 people, you are not competitive enough for law school.

tesoro

Bronze

Post by tesoro » Fri Jun 11, 2010 4:05 pm

JPU wrote:
tesoro wrote:I'd go with F. Guaranteed scholarship alleviates stress. Do you want to go to your exams knowing that if you don't beat 2 out of every 3 people in the room (roughly), you'll suddenly owe an extra $76,000 in tuition? That sounds really shitty to me.

If you don't think your going to beat at least 2 out every 3 people, you are not competitive enough for law school.
If you assume you are going to beat at least 2 out of every 3 people, you are blindly arrogant and are likely to be in for a reality check.

You must be a special snowflake, though, who is leaps and bounds above the next hard-working, high-achieving individual next to you and could not possibly score beneath him or her.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Lawl Shcool

Silver

Post by Lawl Shcool » Fri Jun 11, 2010 4:12 pm

tesoro wrote:
JPU wrote:

If you assume you are going to beat at least 2 out of every 3 people, you are blindly arrogant and are likely to be in for a reality check.

You must be a special snowflake, though, who is leaps and bounds above the next hard-working, high-achieving individual next to you and could not possibly score beneath him or her.
Already beat out more than 2/3 and I am not that special.

edit: to clarify i was speaking as to having the confidence to beat out 2/3 not assuming you will. I don't understand the anti-scholly stipulations notion on TLS.

tesoro

Bronze

Post by tesoro » Fri Jun 11, 2010 4:28 pm

JPU wrote:
tesoro wrote:
JPU wrote:

Already beat out more than 2/3 and I am not that special.

edit: to clarify i was speaking as to having the confidence to beat out 2/3 not assuming you will. I don't understand the anti-scholly stipulations notion on TLS.
Congratulations. That still doesn't warrant your dickish remark about my being unfit for law school. My reasons to forego a conditional scholarship are personal and complicated, but not based on rocket science. If you're smart enough to make top third in school, take the time to read a few threads related to conditional scholarships. Then you might, at least in part, understand some of the anti-scholly notions on TLS. HTH

Lawl Shcool

Silver

Post by Lawl Shcool » Fri Jun 11, 2010 5:09 pm

tesoro wrote: Congratulations. That still doesn't warrant your dickish remark about my being unfit for law school. My reasons to forego a conditional scholarship are personal and complicated, but not based on rocket science. If you're smart enough to make top third in school, take the time to read a few threads related to conditional scholarships. Then you might, at least in part, understand some of the anti-scholly notions on TLS. HTH
I assume your talking about section-stacking? Because if you could point me to a single proven instance of that it would be helpful.

bk1

Diamond

Post by bk1 » Fri Jun 11, 2010 5:15 pm

JPU wrote:If you don't think your going to beat at least 2 out every 3 people, you are not competitive enough for law school.
I didn't realize that being realistic made people uncompetitive in law school.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

deadpanic

Silver

Post by deadpanic » Fri Jun 11, 2010 5:47 pm

Fordham in a landslide.

tesoro

Bronze

Post by tesoro » Fri Jun 11, 2010 5:50 pm

JPU wrote:
tesoro wrote: Congratulations. That still doesn't warrant your dickish remark about my being unfit for law school. My reasons to forego a conditional scholarship are personal and complicated, but not based on rocket science. If you're smart enough to make top third in school, take the time to read a few threads related to conditional scholarships. Then you might, at least in part, understand some of the anti-scholly notions on TLS. HTH
I assume your talking about section-stacking? Because if you could point me to a single proven instance of that it would be helpful.
Your assumption is false, and you're derailing OP's thread.

traehekat

Gold

Post by traehekat » Fri Jun 11, 2010 5:55 pm

Fordham, no question about it.

Lawl Shcool

Silver

Post by Lawl Shcool » Fri Jun 11, 2010 5:56 pm

tesoro wrote:
JPU wrote:
Ok, then please enlighten me on what your referring to.

In case it makes a difference I voted for Fordham.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

mdgold

New

Post by mdgold » Fri Jun 11, 2010 6:02 pm

JPU wrote:
tesoro wrote:
JPU wrote:

Yeah, not to be rude but i get excited seeing new posts and I'd rather it not be about the post. Thanks!

Thirteen

Diamond

Post by Thirteen » Fri Jun 11, 2010 6:09 pm

traehekat wrote:Fordham, no question about it.

tesoro

Bronze

Post by tesoro » Fri Jun 11, 2010 6:11 pm

JPU wrote:
tesoro wrote:
JPU wrote:

If you voted for Fordham, you appear to comprehend the risk/reward analysis of OP's predicament and why Fordham wins out. So what are you looking for clarification on? Why it's silly to not take for granted that you'll end up in the top 33% of a law school class? I think the answer's simple: 67% of the class was similarly accomplished and was also admitted by the school in question, and mathematically cannot be in the top 33% of the class

I'll give you one out of a plethora of reasons to delineate this: Scholly amounts are determined by, in at least some cases, within the range of admits, statistically insignificant differences in LSAT scores (for example, someone with a 165 will not get a scholarship at Fordham. Someone with a 167 will likely get a 15k scholarship. Both of these scores statistically represent the same ability level according to LSAC). Should the guy with the 167 have confidence based on this difference that he will be in the top third of his class just because he received a scholarship?

It's somewhat of a poor example, because Fordham doesn't attach strings to your scholarship. But I think I've made my point clear.

OP- sorry to feed the troll. I went through all this trouble to type it out before seeing your request, so I'll end the discussion here. Congrats on facing a rich man's problem :)

TheBigMediocre

Silver

Post by TheBigMediocre » Fri Jun 11, 2010 6:19 pm

Maybe I'm being math-tarded right now, but for top 40%...wouldn't it be beating 3 out of every 5 people? Not 2 out of every 3?
Last edited by TheBigMediocre on Fri Jun 11, 2010 6:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Lawl Shcool

Silver

Post by Lawl Shcool » Fri Jun 11, 2010 6:20 pm

as kenny powers so eloquently put it, "I'm not gonna stop yelling because if I stop that means I lost the fight, I love you all very much , please leave a key under the mat."

good luck OP.

Just saw the recent post: I was looking for clarification on why people here are so defeatist to think that schollys with stips are so bad. IMO as someone who just finished 1L and previously had received awful grades in pre-law school and is now at the (near) top of the class, if you really want to be at the top and stick to your plan (or one of the awesome guides on TLS) you will do it. You are graded purely against everyone else, who will have similar ability based on entering stats. so the only variable is how hard you work/want to do it.

mdgold

New

Post by mdgold » Mon Jun 14, 2010 2:37 pm

Going to fordham- thanks everyone!

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”