Money vs Ranking Need Help Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

Where should I go?

Rutgers
77%
Cardozo
23%

Total votes: 30

WhizzerWhite

New

Money vs Ranking Need Help

Post by WhizzerWhite » Wed Jun 09, 2010 9:02 pm

I've got to decide to go with the ranking or money. Its either Cardozo, or Rutgers Camden with a scholarship and in state price. I'm not to crazy about working in New Jersey, and would ultimately like to return to DC where I did undergrad. I'm wondering how Rutgers is regarded outside of New Jersey vs Cardozo, and how hard it is to owe $200,000 plus. Thanks for the advice.

im_blue

Gold

Re: Money vs Ranking Need Help

Post by im_blue » Wed Jun 09, 2010 9:10 pm

I wouldn't go to either school planning to work outside of their respective markets (NYC for Cardozo and NJ/Philly for Rutgers Camden).

bk1

Diamond

Post by bk1 » Wed Jun 09, 2010 11:11 pm

As people have told you before. If you want DC, retake/reapply.

Grizz

Diamond

Post by Grizz » Wed Jun 09, 2010 11:36 pm

For DC? Retake and reapply or killself.

toolfan

Bronze

Post by toolfan » Thu Jun 10, 2010 12:18 am

What they said. For Dc, you're going to need T-14, GW, or other DC area T's/TT's.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

WhizzerWhite

New

Post by WhizzerWhite » Thu Jun 10, 2010 8:54 am

I've already taken the LSAT twice in the last two years. Don't schools frown upon taking it three times in three years. Plus doesn't the fact I went to undergrad in DC at least help me? I'm just asking for some simple advice about these schools.

ArthurEdens

New

Post by ArthurEdens » Thu Jun 10, 2010 8:58 am

You would have to be out of your mind to pay $200,000 for Cardozo. Go to Rutgers, do well, and apply like a madman to DC firms.

dominkay

Bronze

Post by dominkay » Thu Jun 10, 2010 9:01 am

WhizzerWhite wrote:I've already taken the LSAT twice in the last two years. Don't schools frown upon taking it three times in three years. Plus doesn't the fact I went to undergrad in DC at least help me? I'm just asking for some simple advice about these schools.
No, it doesn't really help you.

bk1

Diamond

Post by bk1 » Thu Jun 10, 2010 12:28 pm

WhizzerWhite wrote:I've already taken the LSAT twice in the last two years. Don't schools frown upon taking it three times in three years. Plus doesn't the fact I went to undergrad in DC at least help me? I'm just asking for some simple advice about these schools.
No it doesn't. You have the chance to take the LSAT 3 times every 2 years. If you go to either of these then you have to accept the large possibility that you won't be working in DC for a long time.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

keg411

Platinum

Post by keg411 » Thu Jun 10, 2010 1:10 pm

im_blue wrote:I wouldn't go to either school planning to work outside of their respective markets (NYC for Cardozo and NJ/Philly for Rutgers Camden).

februaryftw

Bronze

Post by februaryftw » Thu Jun 10, 2010 3:49 pm

If you are dead set on one of the two schools, go to Rutgers. Your job prospects won't be good so you want to minimize debt as much as possible.

But the credited response for the DC market is neither school will place you there. If you really want DC, retake the LSAT. Virginia, for instance, would happily take a 3rd score if it is a good one.

Edit: I just read your post history. The credited response is to make another thread about it ;) No, seriously, it sounds like you should not go to law school this fall. With a 3.7 all you need to do is get your LSAT up a few points and you'll be in a good position, and maybe not so indecisive.

MusicNutMeggie

Bronze

Post by MusicNutMeggie » Thu Jun 10, 2010 4:04 pm

Undergrad being in DC does NOTHING for you unless you have major connections with people in the legal field who will give you a job after law school.

Retake (after serious prepping, possibly with a course)-- plenty of schools take your highest score, and if you can significantly improve, nobody will think badly of you taking a third time. Then reapply. If you can't get a T-14, go to school in DC. Best of luck!

traehekat

Gold

Post by traehekat » Fri Jun 11, 2010 6:00 pm

If I must choose, then Rutgers. But like others have said, you should retake if you want DC. Did you apply/get accepted to American? That would be a possible option, but I would still be scared to pay sticker there, with GW and GULC there, not to mention T14 students looking to work in DC.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

travelfiend726

New

Post by travelfiend726 » Fri Jun 11, 2010 10:31 pm

You should take the LSAT a third time. Trust me, it doesn't rule you out. You can still get in T20 if do well, and T14 if you're very lucky.

travelfiend726

New

Post by travelfiend726 » Fri Jun 11, 2010 10:34 pm

Also, I didn't read your post history but did you take an LSAT class or get a really good LSAT tutor? From the people around me who did well and did not, the extra tutor on top of the class was what got the good scores. Obviously, people do well without one or both but if you're trying to increase from a so-so then you should consider investing in these things.

Good luck!

kobebryant

New

Post by kobebryant » Fri Jun 11, 2010 10:36 pm

dude neither, kobe bryant school of law is better than both

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Return to “Choosing a Law School”