Help me pick a law school. Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

Where should I go?

University of San Diego
20%
Penn State
13%
Denver University $22,000 scholarship
67%

Total votes: 60

Captain Muscles

New

Re: Help me pick a law school.

Post by Captain Muscles » Thu Jun 03, 2010 3:40 pm

I think I am going to Denver.

The more I think about it, the more I realize I do want to get out of California.

Thanks for the advice regarding the silliness of the rankings, nayboyer.

It did offer me some clarity.

ozarkhack

Bronze

Post by ozarkhack » Thu Jun 03, 2010 3:56 pm

Good call.

Denver/Colorado is great. I love it and would be going to Boulder were it not for fiance's family living near Davis. The state's awesomeness alone is enough reason to go to DU. The scholarship really helps. And given that CU is the only other game in the state, you should be OK if you do well.

Also: Do TLS search for "matthies" (sp?) and read his posts re: DU, jobs and networking and etc. At least I think he's a DU grad. Lots of good stuff comes from his keyboard.

trialjunky

Silver

Post by trialjunky » Thu Jun 03, 2010 4:02 pm

ozarkhack wrote:Good call.

Denver/Colorado is great. I love it and would be going to Boulder were it not for fiance's family living near Davis. The state's awesomeness alone is enough reason to go to DU. The scholarship really helps. And given that CU is the only other game in the state, you should be OK if you do well.

Also: Do TLS search for "matthies" (sp?) and read his posts re: DU, jobs and networking and etc. At least I think he's a DU grad. Lots of good stuff comes from his keyboard.

TITCR

Captain Muscles

New

Post by Captain Muscles » Thu Jun 03, 2010 4:11 pm

"Good call.

Also: Do TLS search for "matthies" (sp?) and read his posts re: DU, jobs and networking and etc. At least I think he's a DU grad. Lots of good stuff comes from his keyboard."

Yeah, I saw his posts and he seems to really have it together.

Maybe I will hit him up and offer to buy him some beers in order to pick his brain some.

Grizz

Diamond

Post by Grizz » Thu Jun 03, 2010 4:45 pm

Denver's a decent bet with $66k. I would drop out if you lose your scholarship though. Congrats on your decision, and best of luck in the fall.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Captain Muscles

New

Post by Captain Muscles » Thu Jun 03, 2010 6:05 pm

^Thanks!

I do not plan on losing my scholarship.

Never got anything less than an A in any of my difficult classes in college.

But that is sound advice, because if I do not maintain a 3.0, I may not be law school material.

Matthies

Silver

Post by Matthies » Thu Jun 03, 2010 6:18 pm

rad law wrote:
Captain Muscles wrote:I could live in Denver.

My sister did undergrad there and I visited her a few times. I liked it.

My concern is that is not ranked high. Will this be a big problem?
A bigger problem will be the massive debt and low prospects from the other prospects. If you really must go, Denver I guess, but it's not an enthusiastic recommendation.
Yes, low prospects is a problem with DU, I have jobz, but never get laid. :lol:

DU is a fine, allbeit expensinve schools for Denver and most of colorado, but if you come here expect to stay here, becuase niether CO schools will travel well back to CA. Plus you won't ever want to move back there anyway once you realize if you take afternoon classes you can ski and Vail and be back in time for school all in the same day.

Captain Muscles

New

Post by Captain Muscles » Thu Jun 03, 2010 7:16 pm

I assume that unless I graduate at the very top of my class, I will have to get my first job in Colorado.

As for the females, I am assuming the fact that I am from California may help me in that department.

Last time I was in Denver, there seemed to be a lot of attractive women.

Hopefully, they have better attitudes than the women in Southern California.

reverendt

Bronze

Post by reverendt » Thu Jun 03, 2010 7:20 pm

NayBoer wrote:
Stop fixating on the relative ranks of the schools past the 20s or 30s. They are almost entirely regional by that point. These schools place in different markets, so their relative rankings are irrelevant. Listing the rankings is purely vanity. And it's foolish vanity, since the lower T100 is highly fluid. So if you pick USD for its 56, don't be pissed if next year it drops back to the 80s and Denver makes it to the 70s.
This.
The rankings of these schools don't matter in their own cities (where you will probably wind up working).
Don't go to Penn state unless you wanna be in the middle of nowhere and your whole life is college football.
CA market sucks.
Have fun in Denver!

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Choosing a Law School”