Penn State - Dickinson Versus University at Buffalo Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
dave080888

New

Penn State - Dickinson Versus University at Buffalo

Post by dave080888 » Thu May 27, 2010 6:03 am

I'm so torn I'm really having a difficult time deciding between these two schools. Any help would be much appreciated.
I am looking to work for the government in some capacity. Ideally I'd like to work in DC maybe with the DOJ or DHS; or I might want to work with the pd or da in or around NYC (I'm from just North of Manhattan).
I've heard that Penn has a lot of notoriety in the Mid-Atlantic and Northeastern States while Buffalo is very much a regional school (Western NY).
I definitely don't think I would want to live in Buffalo or Pennsylvania after law school. I know a lot of people say to choose a law school where you want to live but that wasn't a feasible option for me...plus I'm not really sure where I will want to settle down yet.

In terms of pricing, with scholarship from Buffalo it's about $32,000 per year with all expenses. Penn didn't offer me any money whatsoever so it would be over $20,000 more per year at around $55,000.
Now there's a federal loan forgiveness program for people that are employed by the government, which limits your monthly payments based on your income and forgives remaining loan balances after 10 years of monthly payments. Because of this I'm inclined to think that it doesn't really matter where I go (in terms of cost) because Uncle Sam will pick up the rest of my debt after I pay off 120 monthly payments. The thing that concerns me though is if for some reason I change my mind (despite this being my goal for 10+ years), then I would be stuck with over $150,000 of debt if I went to Penn rather than $90,000 if I choose Buffalo.

Is the alumni network and name recognition of Penn worth the extra $60,000? Or do you even feel that a Penn degree would put me in a better position to secure a federal job over a Buffalo degree?
Thanks in advance for the advice.

badwithpseudonyms

Silver

Re: Penn State - Dickinson Versus University at Buffalo

Post by badwithpseudonyms » Thu May 27, 2010 7:05 am

dave080888 wrote:I'm so torn I'm really having a difficult time deciding between these two schools. Any help would be much appreciated.
I am looking to work for the government in some capacity. Ideally I'd like to work in DC maybe with the DOJ or DHS; or I might want to work with the pd or da in or around NYC (I'm from just North of Manhattan).
I've heard that Penn has a lot of notoriety in the Mid-Atlantic and Northeastern States while Buffalo is very much a regional school (Western NY).
I definitely don't think I would want to live in Buffalo or Pennsylvania after law school. I know a lot of people say to choose a law school where you want to live but that wasn't a feasible option for me...plus I'm not really sure where I will want to settle down yet.

In terms of pricing, with scholarship from Buffalo it's about $32,000 per year with all expenses. Penn didn't offer me any money whatsoever so it would be over $20,000 more per year at around $55,000. [Editor's Note: :shock: ]
Now there's a federal loan forgiveness program for people that are employed by the government, which limits your monthly payments based on your income and forgives remaining loan balances after 10 years of monthly payments. Because of this I'm inclined to think that it doesn't really matter where I go (in terms of cost) because Uncle Sam will pick up the rest of my debt after I pay off 120 monthly payments. The thing that concerns me though is if for some reason I change my mind (despite this being my goal for 10+ years), then I would be stuck with over $150,000 of debt if I went to Penn rather than $90,000 if I choose Buffalo.

Is the alumni network and name recognition of Penn worth the extra $60,000? Or do you even feel that a Penn degree would put me in a better position to secure a federal job over a Buffalo degree?
Thanks in advance for the advice.
In before this get's ugly.

OP, to answer your questions, no and no.

pjo

Silver

Post by pjo » Thu May 27, 2010 7:26 am

OP just to somewhat reiterate what the above poster said, your gonna catch a lot of heck for going to either of these schools at such a high cost. Just one other thing Pennsylvania State University is NOT University of Pennsylvania (Penn). I'm not trying to be a douche, but if you do happen to go to PSU and tell ppl you go to "Penn" you're going to look pretty ignorant. Ok... aside from those points, if these are your two best options I would either go to Buffalo (bc its cheaper) or try to leverage your scholarship at PSU and then go there. I do think PSU is a better option for what you want to do bc they place a lot of ppl into PA state government, maybe that could help funnel you into government in DC...but I don't think PSU is worth full tuition when you have another scholarship option.

badwithpseudonyms

Silver

Post by badwithpseudonyms » Thu May 27, 2010 7:59 am

Last edited by badwithpseudonyms on Fri May 28, 2010 6:33 am, edited 1 time in total.

doomed123

Bronze

Post by doomed123 » Thu May 27, 2010 8:30 am

There's no way this is a serious post.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

dave080888

New

Post by dave080888 » Fri May 28, 2010 2:09 am

Are you people really in law school or are these responses from a bunch of douchey little preteens?
I thought I was going to get some professional advice but you all sound like a bunch of lowlifes.
Forget that I asked.

irish017

Bronze

Post by irish017 » Fri May 28, 2010 11:58 am

Wtf is just north of Manhattan? I've never heard that reference before? You are from the Bronx?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Choosing a Law School”