What are the best regions to practice law? Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
Beet

New

What are the best regions to practice law?

Post by Beet » Tue May 25, 2010 10:53 pm

Below the top 20 schools, I heard that it matters what region you are in, because you are basically limited to practicing law in the same metropolitan area that your law school was from. While what I think of that is not fit to be printed on this forum, one has to face reality as it is and so:

Which regions do you look at when deciding to apply to law schools? New York City the best? Washington D.C.? Los Angeles? What do you think about when deciding where to live? I don't care about weather or temperature. I want to be in an exciting place, not too expensive, have a good law career where I can make money, same as anyone. Maybe with a slight bias towards the West Coast/California. Also, I am in my mid 20s and still single so I want a place where there are still women available for guys in their late 20s or early 30s, which is where I will be in a few years. Which regional schools should I be looking at?

sluguy14

Bronze

Re: What are the best regions to practice law?

Post by sluguy14 » Tue May 25, 2010 10:58 pm

This is incredibly broad. What are your numbers? Are we just assuming that you can get into any school ranked below 20?

I mean.. what do you want us to tell you? Most big cities will give you what you're looking for. San Diego, Seattle, New Orleans, Phoenix, Miami... lots of cities out there are widely available to their respective regional schools.

reverendt

Bronze

Post by reverendt » Tue May 25, 2010 11:00 pm

Well if you're not planning on going to a top 20 school I'd look outside of NYC, LA, DC etc. Those areas have top schools and lots of competition (people from other top schools looking to work there).
Maybe look to Seattle, Portland, maybe San Diego(???) Look for places with schools in your target range that are the best school in their city/region. Ohio State, Texas-Austin, etc.

If you're open minded about where to live, do go to a place like NYC or SF Bay area unless you're going to one of the top schools there.

romothesavior

Diamond

Post by romothesavior » Tue May 25, 2010 11:03 pm

Beet wrote:Below the top 20 schools, I heard that it matters what region you are in, because you are basically limited to practicing law in the same metropolitan area that your law school was from. While what I think of that is not fit to be printed on this forum, one has to face reality as it is and so:

Which regions do you look at when deciding to apply to law schools? New York City the best? Washington D.C.? Los Angeles? What do you think about when deciding where to live? I don't care about weather or temperature. I want to be in an exciting place, not too expensive, have a good law career where I can make money, same as anyone. Maybe with a slight bias towards the West Coast/California. Also, I am in my mid 20s and still single so I want a place where there are still women available for guys in their late 20s or early 30s, which is where I will be in a few years. Which regional schools should I be looking at?
The only real answer: Personal preference.

I love the midwest, and my favorite city is St. Louis. So guess where I'm going?

Also give some thoughts to the economy in the region, and make sure you can get a job, but the key is to go to school in a city you like.

Always Credited

Gold

Post by Always Credited » Tue May 25, 2010 11:08 pm

romothesavior wrote:
Beet wrote:Below the top 20 schools, I heard that it matters what region you are in, because you are basically limited to practicing law in the same metropolitan area that your law school was from. While what I think of that is not fit to be printed on this forum, one has to face reality as it is and so:

I love the midwest, and my favorite city is St. Louis. So guess where I'm going?

Also give some thoughts to the economy in the region, and make sure you can get a job, but the key is to go to school in a city you like.
NYC? I hear its the only city in the country worth living in.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

romothesavior

Diamond

Post by romothesavior » Tue May 25, 2010 11:12 pm

Always Credited wrote:
romothesavior wrote:

OS!?! Is that you?

Haha... I know that's a pretty popular opinion on here, but I would absolutely hate New York.

Always Credited

Gold

Post by Always Credited » Tue May 25, 2010 11:17 pm

romothesavior wrote:
Always Credited wrote:
romothesavior wrote:

OS!?! Is that you?

Haha... I know that's a pretty popular opinion on here, but I would absolutely hate New York.
Me too, and I live here.

Grizz

Diamond

Post by Grizz » Wed May 26, 2010 12:32 am

New York for me =

--ImageRemoved--

I will stay in the South forever.

Regionality

Silver

Post by Regionality » Wed May 26, 2010 1:05 am

If you want good job opportunities, don't mind cold weather, like affordable locations, want lots of young, single and attractive girls, enjoy all the benefits of a great big city without the high stress of NYC, then I would recommend CHICAGO.

It seems like it has everything you want. It's the biggest, best, most affordable, great legal-job market in the country, IMO!!

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

motiontodismiss

Silver

Post by motiontodismiss » Wed May 26, 2010 10:50 am

Texas. Your surroundings don't count for shit if you're unemployed.

keg411

Platinum

Post by keg411 » Wed May 26, 2010 11:27 am

Where you currently live or where your family lives (if where you currently live is only where you go to college). Having connections to an area make employment easier.

miamiman

Silver

Post by miamiman » Wed May 26, 2010 11:32 am

romothesavior wrote:

For the life of me, Ill never understand how people are drawn to St. Louis but I respect Romo so I imagine he's found something in the city I haven't.

Beet

New

Post by Beet » Wed May 26, 2010 7:13 pm

@sluguy,

I have GPA 3.2, LSAT 170. I am also five years out of ugrad. I am not assuming I can get in anywhere. My advisor pointed me to around ranking 30-40. That is why I'm asking about regional schools.
reverendt wrote:Well if you're not planning on going to a top 20 school I'd look outside of NYC, LA, DC etc. Those areas have top schools and lots of competition (people from other top schools looking to work there).
Maybe look to Seattle, Portland, maybe San Diego(???) Look for places with schools in your target range that are the best school in their city/region. Ohio State, Texas-Austin, etc.

If you're open minded about where to live, do go to a place like NYC or SF Bay area unless you're going to one of the top schools there.
Really? So I can't practice law in NYC if it's not a top 20 school? What about a place like Fordham?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

romothesavior

Diamond

Post by romothesavior » Wed May 26, 2010 7:19 pm

miamiman wrote:
romothesavior wrote:

For the life of me, Ill never understand how people are drawn to St. Louis but I respect Romo so I imagine he's found something in the city I haven't.
Exhibit A:

--ImageRemoved--

Your honor, the defense rests.

bk1

Diamond

Post by bk1 » Wed May 26, 2010 9:46 pm

rad law wrote:New York for me =

--ImageRemoved--

Turn NY into the South and agreed. :P

jms1987

Bronze

Post by jms1987 » Wed May 26, 2010 10:13 pm

Can anyone here speak on the legal market in the southwest?

bk1

Diamond

Post by bk1 » Wed May 26, 2010 10:54 pm

jms1987 wrote:Can anyone here speak on the legal market in the southwest?
It involves asking Hispanic looking people to see their papers.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

jcunni5

Bronze

Post by jcunni5 » Wed May 26, 2010 10:59 pm

Beet wrote:@sluguy,

I have GPA 3.2, LSAT 170. I am also five years out of ugrad. I am not assuming I can get in anywhere. My advisor pointed me to around ranking 30-40. That is why I'm asking about regional schools.
reverendt wrote:Well if you're not planning on going to a top 20 school I'd look outside of NYC, LA, DC etc. Those areas have top schools and lots of competition (people from other top schools looking to work there).

Really? So I can't practice law in NYC if it's not a top 20 school? What about a place like Fordham?
with a 170 you can do way better than 30-40! you could get a t14 with a well placed ED (Michigan, Duke, UVA, NU since you have work experience)

sluguy14

Bronze

Post by sluguy14 » Wed May 26, 2010 11:13 pm

jcunni5 wrote:
Beet wrote:@sluguy,

with a 170 you can do way better than 30-40! you could get a t14 with a well placed ED (Michigan, Duke, UVA, NU since you have work experience)
Seriously, your advisor is really sellin you short. Especially if you've had a decent job in those five years, you can crack the t14. Jesus, don't settle on a law school when you could be shooting for the stars.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”