law school Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
JCougar

Gold

Re: What Law School is the best for studying international law

Post by JCougar » Thu May 20, 2010 5:28 pm

Princeton.

Mr. Pablo

Bronze

Post by Mr. Pablo » Thu May 20, 2010 5:40 pm

So, OP, just in case you can't pierce the cloud of snark (funny snark for sure), 'international law' is massively misunderstood. There really only is international business law (companies doing business across national borders- so taxes, trade agreements, etc..). The concept of the saving Rwandan orphans through moving rhetoric in the Hague is just not all that real. Some people do try cases in international courts, but those people are super-rare (Saddam Hussein did not support a whole legal field in his defense). So, ya, go to HYS, and make some big-time contacts in the US or some foreign government. It's just as rare as being a Senator.

gatorlion

Bronze

Post by gatorlion » Thu May 20, 2010 5:44 pm

Cilent21 wrote:
byunbee wrote:
Cilent21 wrote:As for what schools, NYU and Columbia are ranked the highest for international law, but most people will tell you to go to the best (highest ranked) school you can for this type of law
It's a much smaller field than most people realize, so high grades and a JD from a high prestige law school would probably be a necessity. I've heard it said on TLS before (so take this with a grain of salt) that it's almost not worth pursuing outside of t4 or t6.
I agree -- t6, though.. because I think NYU def will still provide opportunities
Not entirely true- there are people working on international environmental law in government and IGOs from American, Vermont, Tulane.

EDIT: I think there is a tendency on TLS to conflate "international law" with "international human rights law." Not everyone wishing to practice international law wants to be arguing cases at the Hague...

downstream

Bronze

Post by downstream » Thu May 20, 2010 5:53 pm

Stetson, IIRC, has a top program for this. I'd say Stetson, HYS or maybe Tulane/American are probably the best places for this. And a bunch of the above poasters are way off. International Lawyers are in high demand right now in places that are building constitutions like Togo, Lesotho and Saipan. I know a guy that landed an international law gig out of OCI but he was top 10%.

JCougar

Gold

Post by JCougar » Thu May 20, 2010 5:56 pm

downstream wrote:Stetson, IIRC, has a top program for this. I'd say Stetson, HYS or maybe Tulane/American are probably the best places for this. And a bunch of the above poasters are way off. International Lawyers are in high demand right now in places that are building constitutions like Togo, Lesotho and Saipan. I know a guy that landed an international law gig out of OCI but he was top 10%.
LOL.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Dr. Strangelove

Silver

Post by Dr. Strangelove » Thu May 20, 2010 6:01 pm

Yale..

Hey-O

Silver

Post by Hey-O » Thu May 20, 2010 6:02 pm

gatorlion wrote:
EDIT: I think there is a tendency on TLS to conflate "international law" with "international human rights law." Not everyone wishing to practice international law wants to be arguing cases at the Hague...
This is very true. There are lots of lawyers out there who are dealing with international issues. There are very few 'international courts', but there is a growing field of 'international law.' The more governments and business interact fluidly across state lines the more need there is for laws that guide those interactions. There is a lot of need for lawyers with a knowledge of international law in the political arena as well in helping to understand the increasingly complex legal ramifications of legislation.

Regionality

Silver

Post by Regionality » Thu May 20, 2010 6:13 pm

JCougar wrote:Princeton.
+ Image

romothesavior

Diamond

Post by romothesavior » Thu May 20, 2010 6:15 pm

American.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Grizz

Diamond

Post by Grizz » Thu May 20, 2010 6:16 pm

downstream wrote:Stetson, IIRC, has a top program for this. I'd say Stetson, HYS or maybe Tulane/American are probably the best places for this. And a bunch of the above poasters are way off. International Lawyers are in high demand right now in places that are building constitutions like Togo, Lesotho and Saipan. I know a guy that landed an international law gig out of OCI but he was top 10%.
You are hilariously misinformed.

You will have miserable time finding any job out of Stetson, much less one in "international law."

Grizz

Diamond

Post by Grizz » Thu May 20, 2010 6:17 pm

romothesavior wrote:American.
--ImageRemoved--

Cara

New

Post by Cara » Thu May 20, 2010 9:08 pm

You can study international law at all sorts of places. But if you actually want to practice it then you should go to Yale, worst case H or S.

merichard87

Silver

Post by merichard87 » Thu May 20, 2010 9:13 pm

Cara wrote:You can study international law at all sorts of places. But if you actually want to practice it then you should go to Yale, worst case H or S.
+1

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Mr. Pablo

Bronze

Post by Mr. Pablo » Thu May 20, 2010 9:51 pm

Hey-O wrote:
gatorlion wrote:
This is very true. There are lots of lawyers out there who are dealing with international issues. There are very few 'international courts', but there is a growing field of 'international law.' The more governments and business interact fluidly across state lines the more need there is for laws that guide those interactions. There is a lot of need for lawyers with a knowledge of international law in the political arena as well in helping to understand the increasingly complex legal ramifications of legislation.
You are right. There is a great deal of work for people who can deal with laws written in non-English languages, specifically in business. There just isn't paying work for people who want to battle for the legal rights of citizens in country X. Sure, volunteer all you like, but that kind of stuff just doesn't put actual food on the literal table.

Regionality

Silver

Post by Regionality » Thu May 20, 2010 10:09 pm

Mr. Pablo wrote:
Hey-O wrote:
gatorlion wrote:
You are right. There is a great deal of work for people who can deal with laws written in non-English languages, specifically in business. There just isn't paying work for people who want to battle for the legal rights of citizens in country X. Sure, volunteer all you like, but that kind of stuff just doesn't put actual food on the literal table.

This man certainly did not work in international law...

Case2L

Bronze

Post by Case2L » Thu May 20, 2010 11:04 pm

For those of you that believe there is such a field as International Law, please PM me, as I would like to share with you the good news of our lord and savior, Jesus Christ. I also have some land in the Everglades and a bridge in New York that you might be interested in.

Mickey Quicknumbers

Gold

Post by Mickey Quicknumbers » Thu May 20, 2010 11:44 pm

Case2L wrote:For those of you that believe there is such a field as International Law, please PM me, as I would like to share with you the good news of our lord and savior, Jesus Christ. I also have some land in the Everglades and a bridge in New York that you might be interested in.
Not very funny

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Regionality

Silver

Post by Regionality » Thu May 20, 2010 11:50 pm

Case2L wrote:For those of you that believe there is such a field as International Law, please PM me, as I would like to share with you the good news of our lord and savior, Jesus Christ. I also have some land in the Everglades and a bridge in New York that you might be interested in.
There is law out there that is international in scope...it's just rare, tough to get into and often times it is more business-oriented than politically oriented, more than most people think/hope.

gatorlion

Bronze

Post by gatorlion » Thu May 20, 2010 11:57 pm

See my above post for a brief analysis of why you are horribly wrong.

Always Credited

Gold

Post by Always Credited » Fri May 21, 2010 12:02 am

BigA wrote:
JazzOne wrote:
Cilent21 wrote:
JazzOne wrote:Columbia
lol I love how you edited to keep it in order..
Lol I couldn't remember the rankings after YHS.
:shock: That's shocking. I've inadvertently memorized the top 19 at least just by browsing these forums regularly. I haven't even applied to law school yet.

okay, and I've probably looked at the actual list a few times.
Disgraceful anti-GWU trolling.

General Tso

Gold

Post by General Tso » Fri May 21, 2010 12:10 am

Yes you do recall correctly! Stetson does in fact have a top program for this.

OP, go to Stetson. You'll be fine.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

merichard87

Silver

Post by merichard87 » Fri May 21, 2010 12:12 am

OP: Aim high and pray for a miracle. Good luck with the North Korean orphans or whatever.

Regionality

Silver

Post by Regionality » Fri May 21, 2010 12:18 am

I had to google Saipan...that place has like 20 people on an island in the middle of the ocean...how on earth could they afford my future legal fees?

Oh, and I KNOW Togo and Lesotho couldn't pay me more than .20/hr...so not sure how that demand is gonna help anyone.

hadokenstyle

New

Post by hadokenstyle » Fri May 21, 2010 1:25 am

So after working in The Hague for the past 3 months and meeting attorney after attorney at the ICTY, I can tell you that based on personal observation at a UN Tribunal, 90% of this thread is BS.

(now note that I'm referring to OP's interest in Tribunals, not other forms of international law such as trade, NGO work, etc.)

The highest-ranked school I ran into was U. Penn on a public interest scholarship. I saw Georgetown on there, and then a buttload of T1 and T2 schools. The Georgetown graduate had clerked for the Penn SC and landed work at the ICTR before going to the ICTY. Of course, if you are planning to be a judge, Theodor Meron, the lofty member of NYU's faculty, represents the US there, although I don't think you'd be considering that right now :).

The actual attorneys were generally much older and were drawn from regional markets. There were actually many senior prosecution attorneys that came from Houston. And, of course, many barristers from the UK. Most of the judges actually aren't judges but academics and diplomats, which is a little scary when you think of it.

The rankings aren't as important across the Atlantic. I suppose if you go to Harvard or so it won't hurt, but from what I saw, experience is what I saw to be the deciding factor. And those jobs are not as interesting as they seem. The courts tend to bend over backwards for the accused, which can be frustrating.

If you have more questions, PM me...

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”