Iowa (sticker w/ in-state after 1L) vs Wisconsin ($) Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

Iowa Law vs Wisconsin Law

Iowa Law with in-state tuition after 1L
40%
Wisconsin Law, out of state, with 7k/yr no stips
60%

Total votes: 42

webbylu87

Silver

Re: Iowa (sticker w/ in-state after 1L) vs Wisconsin ($)

Post by webbylu87 » Sat May 22, 2010 1:15 pm

Regionality wrote:I guess I meant IBR and the schools' equivalents...people are always comparing and contrasting different schools public-interest loan repayment assistance programs. Aren't there differences in execution, amount, requirements, etc?
You mean the LRAPs? I don't know a whole lot about Wisconsin's LRAP but I did look into Iowa's. They're in the process of a capital drive to raise funds for their main LRAP program. They're also rewriting it so things are a bit tenuous.

They kind of have three different LRAPs: 1) up to $12k in Iowa Foundation Loan forgiveness for those who do PI work for at least three years (this only goes towards Iowa Foundation Loans which are allocated during the financial aid process with a max of $4k/year, not Staffords or GradPLUS), 2) up to $12k in Iowa Foundation Loan forgiveness for those who work in Iowa for at least three years (this only goes towards Iowa Foundation Loans, not Staffords or GradPLUS), 3) a more traditional LRAP program which can be used towards your federal loans for PI/PS work.

Part of the reason I turned down Iowa is that compared to my other option, Iowa's LRAP was kind of lacking. There's a selection process to receive LRAP funds so there's no guarantee you would receive any money from them to help with payments. When I visited last month I asked how many people applied and how many actually got money as well as how much money each person received. They couldn't really give me this information, nor could they give me information as to what the new LRAP would look like because it hasn't been decided yet. Things were just too uncertain for me to count on that.

Take a look at Iowa's website though for better info and to double check what I've said. Like I said, I can't offer any information about Wisconsin's LRAP.

Regionality

Silver

Post by Regionality » Sat May 22, 2010 1:25 pm

webbylu87 wrote:
Regionality wrote:I guess I meant IBR and the schools' equivalents...people are always comparing and contrasting different schools public-interest loan repayment assistance programs. Aren't there differences in execution, amount, requirements, etc?
You mean the LRAPs? I don't know a whole lot about Wisconsin's LRAP but I did look into Iowa's. They're in the process of a capital drive to raise funds for their main LRAP program. They're also rewriting it so things are a bit tenuous.

They kind of have three different LRAPs: 1) up to $12k in Iowa Foundation Loan forgiveness for those who do PI work for at least three years (this only goes towards Iowa Foundation Loans which are allocated during the financial aid process with a max of $4k/year, not Staffords or GradPLUS), 2) up to $12k in Iowa Foundation Loan forgiveness for those who work in Iowa for at least three years (this only goes towards Iowa Foundation Loans, not Staffords or GradPLUS), 3) a more traditional LRAP program which can be used towards your federal loans for PI/PS work.

Part of the reason I turned down Iowa is that compared to my other option, Iowa's LRAP was kind of lacking. There's a selection process to receive LRAP funds so there's no guarantee you would receive any money from them to help with payments. When I visited last month I asked how many people applied and how many actually got money as well as how much money each person received. They couldn't really give me this information, nor could they give me information as to what the new LRAP would look like because it hasn't been decided yet. Things were just too uncertain for me to count on that.

Take a look at Iowa's website though for better info and to double check what I've said. Like I said, I can't offer any information about Wisconsin's LRAP.
Thanks for the good info! I must say I have been mighty disappointed by Iowa's financial aid office across the board.

When I was first accepted to Iowa they told me I was nominated for a partial scholarship and that I should be receiving specific information about it within the next two weeks. About 2 months had passed (with me regularly calling in to check on it) until they finally told me that I would not be receiving any merit aid...

Then I join these blogs and LSN and find out that there are folks out there with numbers BARELY better than mine (we're talking 1-2 LSAT points higher and .1-.2 higher GPA's) getting FULL rides to Iowa. What kind of unfair shotgun approach is this??

Then you describe their crappy LRAP program...

Sure we can get in-state tuition after the first year, but only if we work for them. Furthermore, their out of state tuition rates are OUTRAGEOUS, rivaling T14 schools...and we're talking a midwestern state school. Plus, the RA positions aren't even "guaranteed"...so theoretically we could get screwed. Not to mention that we HAVE to take the RA position each semester or else our tuition reverts back to the outrageous OOS rates...

Iowa has lost my attendance...oh well. Wisconsin/waitlist here I come!

webbylu87

Silver

Post by webbylu87 » Sat May 22, 2010 1:33 pm

Regionality wrote:Thanks for the good info! I must say I have been mighty disappointed by Iowa's financial aid office across the board.

When I was first accepted to Iowa they told me I was nominated for a partial scholarship and that I should be receiving specific information about it within the next two weeks. About 2 months had passed (with me regularly calling in to check on it) until they finally told me that I would not be receiving any merit aid...

Then I join these blogs and LSN and find out that there are folks out there with numbers BARELY better than mine (we're talking 1-2 LSAT points higher and .1-.2 higher GPA's) getting FULL rides to Iowa. What kind of unfair shotgun approach is this??

Sure we can get in-state tuition after the first year, but only if we work for them. Furthermore, their out of state tuition rates are OUTRAGEOUS, rivaling T14 schools...and we're talking a midwestern state school. Plus, the RA positions aren't even "guaranteed"...so theoretically we could get screwed. Not to mention that we HAVE to take the RA position each semester or else our tuition reverts back to the outrageous OOS rates...

I totally understand your frustration and ultimately, that's why I turned down Iowa too. I had in-state though but even with the in-state price I was turned off by the lack of scholarship money, haphazardly run administration, and lack of transparency. I'd rather pay a bit more to attend a school which doesn't seem to have these problems and has a stronger LRAP.

Regionality

Silver

Post by Regionality » Sat May 22, 2010 1:37 pm

webbylu87 wrote:
Regionality wrote:Thanks for the good info! I must say I have been mighty disappointed by Iowa's financial aid office across the board.

I totally understand your frustration and ultimately, that's why I turned down Iowa too. I had in-state though but even with the in-state price I was turned off by the lack of scholarship money, haphazardly run administration, and lack of transparency. I'd rather pay a bit more to attend a school which doesn't seem to have these problems and has a stronger LRAP.
Where you headed?

webbylu87

Silver

Post by webbylu87 » Sat May 22, 2010 1:42 pm

Regionality wrote: Where you headed?
Illinois Class of 2013! Woot woot!

I only officially withdrew from Iowa this week and to be honest, I was pretty sad about it. I'm from the state and have lots of respect for the school and the people who attend. It's an awesome place and a great school but it just didn't click for me.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Regionality

Silver

Post by Regionality » Sat May 22, 2010 1:45 pm

webbylu87 wrote:

I only officially withdrew from Iowa this week and to be honest, I was pretty sad about it. I'm from the state and have lots of respect for the school and the people who attend. It's an awesome place and a great school but it just didn't click for me.
nice! I'm waitlisted at Illinois, but I don't know if I would go even if I got in...I just barely missed qualifying for in-state there despite living and working there so it'd be mighty expensive for me as well, compared to Wisconsin and my nice little "Law-in-Action" scholly

Edit: I already told you about my shitty Illinois residency story...lol

webbylu87

Silver

Post by webbylu87 » Sat May 22, 2010 1:51 pm

Regionality wrote:
webbylu87 wrote:

nice! I'm waitlisted at Illinois, but I don't know if I would go even if I got in...I just barely missed qualifying for in-state there despite living and working there so it'd be mighty expensive for me as well, compared to Wisconsin and my nice little "Law-in-Action" scholly. Illinois give you any money?
Oh that's right. I think we talked about this before. I got $10k/year from Illinois with no stipulations (which I'm very grateful for given my numbers). Frankly speaking, I definitely would not have accepted at Illinois over Iowa without the money. In-state at Iowa is a really good deal IMO. After talking to my family and researching COL in CU though, I'm pretty sure I can shave another $5-8k off the COA at Illinois per year so with that taken into consideration along with my career goals, Illinois was the best choice for me to make. I definitely won't say it was easy decision though.

Did you get some decent cash from Wisconsin?

Edit: Total RC fail. $7k/year is some decent money. It's a hard choice between Wisconsin and Illinois and I feel like your choices might be harder than mine were. Are you OOS at Wisconsin?

Regionality

Silver

Post by Regionality » Sat May 22, 2010 1:54 pm

webbylu87 wrote:
Regionality wrote:
webbylu87 wrote:

nice! I'm waitlisted at Illinois, but I don't know if I would go even if I got in...I just barely missed qualifying for in-state there despite living and working there so it'd be mighty expensive for me as well, compared to Wisconsin and my nice little "Law-in-Action" scholly. Illinois give you any money?
Oh that's right. I think we talked about this before. I got $10k/year from Illinois with no stipulations (which I'm very grateful for given my numbers). Frankly speaking, I definitely would not have accepted at Illinois over Iowa without the money. In-state at Iowa is a really good deal IMO. After talking to my family and researching COL in CU though, I'm pretty sure I can shave another $5-8k off the COA at Illinois per year so with that taken into consideration along with my career goals, Illinois was the best choice for me to make. I definitely won't say it was easy decision though.

Did you get some decent cash from Wisconsin?
They gave me 7k/yr no stips, which is pretty rare for Wisconsin to give out, according to everything I've heard. I had to ask them for it though. With that scholarship its makes Iowa and Wisconsin roughly the same cost minus the forced labor at Iowa (lol)...

If Illinois gave me your package I'd be there! But I doubt they'll have a lot of money to throw around to WL-Accepts....we'll see though! I'm super pumped about Madison but I'm keeping my options open at Illinois, WUSTL, William & Mary and Emory...

pie in the sky!

webbylu87

Silver

Post by webbylu87 » Sat May 22, 2010 2:02 pm

Regionality wrote:They gave me 7k/yr no stips, which is pretty rare for Wisconsin to give out, according to everything I've heard. I had to ask them for it though. With that scholarship its makes Iowa and Wisconsin roughly the same cost minus the forced labor at Iowa (lol)...

If Illinois gave me your package I'd be there! But I doubt they'll have a lot of money to throw around to WL-Accepts....we'll see though! I'm super pumped about Madison but I'm keeping my options open at Illinois, WUSTL, William & Mary and Emory...

pie in the sky!
Yeah. I applied to Wisconsin last year (and almost attended) and got no money despite being at the 75th percentiles. Irked me but they are notorious for not giving out any money. That $7k/year is great for them! If both are equal prices, it's hard to say which I'd attend. I guess it should just come down to where you feel most comfortable and which offers stronger career prospects.

Good luck with the WLs! To be honest, WUSTL was my dream school and I would've attended had they accepted me. I visited the school and with adcomms twice, wrote to professors and current students, wrote LOCIs, etc. The whole deal. Got nothing but a reject. It was the one rejection that really stung. It's probably for the best that I didn't get in given how expensive it is. I'm not sure that it's worth the money. Still broke my heart though. Are you being active with the WLs or just seeing if anything happens on its own?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Regionality

Silver

Post by Regionality » Sat May 22, 2010 3:21 pm

webbylu87 wrote:
Regionality wrote:They gave me 7k/yr no stips, which is pretty rare for Wisconsin to give out, according to everything I've heard. I had to ask them for it though. With that scholarship its makes Iowa and Wisconsin roughly the same cost minus the forced labor at Iowa (lol)...

pie in the sky!
Yeah. I applied to Wisconsin last year (and almost attended) and got no money despite being at the 75th percentiles. Irked me but they are notorious for not giving out any money. That $7k/year is great for them! If both are equal prices, it's hard to say which I'd attend. I guess it should just come down to where you feel most comfortable and which offers stronger career prospects.

Good luck with the WLs! To be honest, WUSTL was my dream school and I would've attended had they accepted me. I visited the school and with adcomms twice, wrote to professors and current students, wrote LOCIs, etc. The whole deal. Got nothing but a reject. It was the one rejection that really stung. It's probably for the best that I didn't get in given how expensive it is. I'm not sure that it's worth the money. Still broke my heart though. Are you being active with the WLs or just seeing if anything happens on its own?
It's crazy how the results play out...here I am WLed at Illinois and WUSTL....while you were rejected from WUSTL but in at Illinois.

I am trying to be active, yes. I've sent WUSTL 2 LOCI's and I've sent all the other's 1 LOCI. I told WUSTL that I would attend if accepted (which is true)...I was also waitlisted at Indiana and UNC but I'm completely ignoring them bc I have no interest in going unless they offer me a lot of money. I'm willing to wait on waitlists until it would be necessary for me to rent a decent apartment in Madison (I'm thinking end of July)...

I REALLY want WUSTL or W&M...Emory and Illinois are appealing but not as compelling...Indiana and UNC are ridiculous schools in terms of their admissions and they aren't any better than Wisconsin, so we'll see!!

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”