New York Law School Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
iStoph

New

New York Law School

Post by iStoph » Tue May 11, 2010 1:10 pm

So I have had a very strange application experience, and I am somewhat at a loss of what I should do. I am a 3.75 GPA from the University of Washington, as a double major in Philosophy and Classics. I did relatively well on the LSAT receiving a 159. However, I did not get into almost any of the schools I applied to. I received admissions offers from New York Law School and Lewis and Clark ( I didn't even get into Franklin Pierce). Needless to say, I am extremely disappointed. However, I am somewhat drawn to the offer I received from NYLS. Now before all you Harvard elitists jump all over me about how nothing except T5 schools are worth it, I don't care in the least about prestige. What I do care about is that I go somewhere where I will get a 1) Solid legal education, 2) opportunities while in school and post graduation, and 3) will not forever be a pestilence, or reminder of my tendency to make really poor decisions. I realize NYLS is Tier 2, or Tier3, depending on what ranking system you are looking at. And I realize it is certainly not the best school around, but is it really a complete waste of time and money like everyone seems to make it out to be? I need to go to school next year. So what should I do? Should I go? I think that i will be able to do well enough to have a strong transfer application.... I really need some guidance. Any advice will be greatly appreciated.

DerrickRose

Silver

Re: New York Law School

Post by DerrickRose » Tue May 11, 2010 1:14 pm

Fastest flame call ever.

IzziesGal

Silver

Post by IzziesGal » Tue May 11, 2010 1:18 pm

I PM'd you, assuming this isn't a flame.

iStoph

New

Post by iStoph » Tue May 11, 2010 1:20 pm

I am not sure what a flame is...

thank you for the PM. I will be writing you back soon

yeff

Bronze

Post by yeff » Tue May 11, 2010 1:22 pm

iStoph wrote:I need to go to school next year.
Why?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

savagecheater

Bronze

Post by savagecheater » Tue May 11, 2010 1:24 pm

Goodness gracious retake.

DerrickRose

Silver

Post by DerrickRose » Tue May 11, 2010 1:26 pm

iStoph wrote:I am not sure what a flame is...

You know exactly what it is. "Fastest flame call ever" would be a totally incomprehensible phrase to you if you didn't. Nice try though.

Oh and what's with the anti-L&C trolling?

PlugInBaby

Bronze

Post by PlugInBaby » Tue May 11, 2010 5:09 pm

I have a feeling there is more than meets the eye to this scenario. When did you send out your applications? When did you go complete? How many schools did you apply to? My hunch tells me that your approach toward law school applications could be vastly improved across the board. L&C is an ok school...but with that GPA please do yourself a favor and retake the LSAT and revamp your applications. And for heavens sake don't go to NYLS...you will get killed by the competition from tons of graduates from far more prestigious schools in the NY area and across the country.

Why do you need to go law school this year? Even being unemployed and mooching off your parents for a year is preferrable to going to NYLS. Study for the LSAT retake in October in the meantime.

trialjunky

Silver

Post by trialjunky » Thu May 13, 2010 9:09 am

The flame is with you my son

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

TTH

Diamond

Post by TTH » Thu May 13, 2010 9:19 am

Weak.

shutterbug

Bronze

Post by shutterbug » Thu May 13, 2010 9:41 am

To the OP: With all due respect, it doesn't make sense that you'd settle for NYLS and not even consider MUCH better schools in the area that you had a legitimate shot at, like Rutgers or St. John's.

BenJ

Silver

Post by BenJ » Thu May 13, 2010 11:01 am

Yes, NYLS is a complete waste of your money. (Lewis and Clark is not, but I suppose if you don't want to live in the Pacific Northwest long-term, it's out.) Even grads from Brooklyn, St. John's and Hofstra, all much better-rated in the NYC market, have extreme difficulty finding jobs, let alone jobs that pay enough to cover sky-high NYC-area rents or mortgage payments. Absolutely, 100%, do not go to NYLS.

Even if you don't retake the LSAT, you can do a lot better. But, really, study, retake, get into the low-mid 160s at least, then reapply. Don't throw away a solid GPA on a debt machine.

Cara

New

Post by Cara » Thu May 13, 2010 11:25 am

I did relatively well on the LSAT receiving a 159.
If you aren't flame you are living in a world of self-delusion.

Retake. Whatever you do do not go to NYLS under any circumstances.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Tautology

Bronze

Post by Tautology » Thu May 13, 2010 12:30 pm

DerrickRose wrote:
iStoph wrote:I am not sure what a flame is...

You know exactly what it is. "Fastest flame call ever" would be a totally incomprehensible phrase to you if you didn't. Nice try though.

Oh and what's with the anti-L&C trolling?
To be fair to him, you weren't the only one who used the term flame before his reply, and the other was a much clearer use. Clearly this is not evidence that it isn't a flame, I just take issue with the evidence for your claim that he doesn't/didn't know what a flame is.

Shot007

New

Post by Shot007 » Thu May 13, 2010 12:39 pm

Cara wrote:
I did relatively well on the LSAT receiving a 159.
If you aren't flame you are living in a world of self-delusion.

Retake. Whatever you do do not go to NYLS under any circumstances.
Even if he isn't a flame, then a 159 is a relatively good score. It is still 75%+, I think being on TLS is kind of bad sometimes, a 75% score is in no way not a decent score.

reasonable_man

Gold

Post by reasonable_man » Thu May 13, 2010 12:45 pm

NYLS does not satisfy one of your primary criteria, i.e. having good prospects before and after law school. NYLS will afford you very few opportunities going forward. You might make a nice career for yourself in a variety of fields, but the most common result for a NYLS grad is a low-paying job in personal injury or low-end insurance defense. If either is appealing, then have at it. If not, then play the odds and don't attend.

KamaalTheAbstract

Bronze

Post by KamaalTheAbstract » Thu May 13, 2010 1:18 pm

iStoph wrote: I need to go to school next year.
I don't know why anyone "needs" to spend 40k immediately. What can be going on in your life that you absolutely need to spend a year not making money and going into debt? I'm really curious.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

cal27

New

Post by cal27 » Thu May 13, 2010 1:31 pm

This is insane.

I work at one of the largest litigation firms in New York City with several NYLS graduates. As associates, they rank among the Harvard and Stanford graduates. Go to NYLS. Just do well there.

andreea7

Bronze

Post by andreea7 » Thu May 13, 2010 1:36 pm

I also know someone who did well after going to NYLS -- albeit she worked outside of NY for a while. It's probably a matter of being very proactive and ambitious.

shutterbug

Bronze

Post by shutterbug » Thu May 13, 2010 1:39 pm

cal27 wrote:This is insane.

I work at one of the largest litigation firms in New York City with several NYLS graduates. As associates, they rank among the Harvard and Stanford graduates. Go to NYLS. Just do well there.

It can be done for sure. There are three at dla piper:

--LinkRemoved--

newyorklaw23

New

Post by newyorklaw23 » Thu May 13, 2010 3:56 pm

shutterbug wrote:
cal27 wrote:This is insane.

It can be done for sure. There are three at DLA Piper:

--LinkRemoved--

With a few points on the retake though, the OP is auto admit at Brooklyn & Cardozo, and a very competitive Fordham applicant. There's a world of difference in career opportunities between Fordham and NYLS.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”