Need some Opinions - BU(20K/yr) vs Northwestern Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
kman999

New

Need some Opinions - BU(20K/yr) vs Northwestern

Post by kman999 » Tue May 11, 2010 12:01 pm

Hello All,

I am deciding between the two and although it seems that if I do alright at either school I can land a solid job that pays well.

Now what pulls me towards Northwestern is the ability to draw on its other schools for a dual-degree. This opportunity is not the same at BU. Also for someone eventually interested in Academia, Northwestern may also work out slightly better.

I would love to work in Chicago or Boston so geograhpy is not an issue. Thanks!

undecided2

New

Re: Need some Opinions - BU(20K/yr) vs Northwestern

Post by undecided2 » Tue May 11, 2010 12:31 pm

make a poll

kman999

New

Post by kman999 » Tue May 11, 2010 12:33 pm

Thanks.

Will do, but would like to also hear any direct responses to the idea of dual-degrees at Northwestern and if they are worth the extra financial burden.

NayBoer

Silver

Post by NayBoer » Tue May 11, 2010 12:36 pm

NU started its Law Scholars program to get students ready for academia. Not sure if it works; it's pretty new. Academia is a pretty exotic specialty going anywhere but YHChi.
http://www.law.northwestern.edu/academi ... olars.html

What dual degree do you want? I'm assuming JD-MBA.

kman999

New

Post by kman999 » Tue May 11, 2010 12:39 pm

Although that seems like one of the most solid dual-degrees available, I am particularly interested in a JD/PhD Economics. Obviously this lends itself more to academia, but also gives you options in the business world as well.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

NayBoer

Silver

Post by NayBoer » Tue May 11, 2010 12:50 pm

kman999 wrote:Although that seems like one of the most solid dual-degrees available, I am particularly interested in a JD/PhD Economics. Obviously this lends itself more to academia, but also gives you options in the business world as well.
Northwestern JD-PhD is fully funded for 6 total years of study (2 of them in law school, between dual 2-year stints at the graduate school). It's not only a full ride, but they pay living stipend. They take I think 5 students per year.
http://www.law.northwestern.edu/academics/jdphd/

In short, a truly awesome opportunity for somebody whose interests align. But I imagine the competition is super fierce.

Miranda Hobbes on TLS applied for the JD-PhD. She might have some comments or advice.

kman999

New

Post by kman999 » Tue May 11, 2010 1:02 pm

Thanks for the info. I also know since I am not applying to the JD-Phd outright, that I do not get this funding for the first two years. So it would be two years of NU Law tuition follow by the Grad school's funding. But maybe something could be worked out.

But you are right I believe the opportunity is truly an amazing one. Thanks again for the help.

McBean

New

Post by McBean » Tue May 11, 2010 1:05 pm

I'm a little surprised BU did not offer you more if you got into NU. Anyways, if you have an interest in academia, than the answer is definitely NU. Even without that twist, I would still be leaning towards NU, especially if you want a dual degree, and doubly so if you end up going for a JD/MBA. (Kellog >> BU SoM)

If your interested in BigLaw, then I would still lean towards NU, considering how well they place.

I would lean toward BU only if you were interested in anything less than BigLaw or were extremely debt adverse.

kman999

New

Post by kman999 » Tue May 11, 2010 1:14 pm

Thanks! This seems to be the general consensus.

I do think NU gives me that extra bump I might need. In particular, if I was going to utilize a JD/PhD Econ for something in Energy Policy Development. I was a bit turned off by the fact that BU was not very open to this type of joint-degree. It alsmost seemed to be more of a pride factor on the part of the school of economics.

Of course I still need to be accepted into the Phd portion at NU, so quite a task still ahead of me.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Rock Chalk

Silver

Post by Rock Chalk » Tue May 11, 2010 1:24 pm

Last edited by Rock Chalk on Wed May 16, 2012 3:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

kman999

New

Post by kman999 » Tue May 11, 2010 1:47 pm

Better yes, but justified in terms of financials?

Rock Chalk

Silver

Post by Rock Chalk » Tue May 11, 2010 5:21 pm

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”