U Oregon $ or Seattle $$ Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
kswiss

Bronze

U Oregon $ or Seattle $$

Post by kswiss » Sun May 09, 2010 2:30 pm

So I have 1/3 tuition scholly at UO with no strings, and a little over 1/2 tuition scholly from Seattle but with a top 25% stipulation.

UO also offers law students graduate fellowships that cover 50% tuition for 2nd and 3rd years, which I would probably apply for.

With the scholly, Seattle becomes cheaper by a significant amount, but if I lose the scholly it is significantly more expensive.

I'm leaning UO (unless I get off WLs at some of my reaches), but I want to make sure that I'm not missing some over arching reason to choose Seattle over UO.

I plan on practicing in the NW, either in Portland or Seattle.

uwb09

Silver

Re: U Oregon $ or Seattle $$

Post by uwb09 » Sun May 09, 2010 2:40 pm

kswiss wrote:So I have 1/3 tuition scholly at UO with no strings, and a little over 1/2 tuition scholly from Seattle but with a top 25% stipulation.

UO also offers law students graduate fellowships that cover 50% tuition for 2nd and 3rd years, which I would probably apply for.

With the scholly, Seattle becomes cheaper by a significant amount, but if I lose the scholly it is significantly more expensive.

I'm leaning UO (unless I get off WLs at some of my reaches), but I want to make sure that I'm not missing some over arching reason to choose Seattle over UO.

I plan on practicing in the NW, either in Portland or Seattle.
if you don't mind:

- Practicing in Portland/Oregon
- Living in a college town in the middle of nowhere for 3 years

then take UO. with in-state tuition UO should also get pretty cheap with that scholarship

Lonagan

Bronze

Post by Lonagan » Sun May 09, 2010 2:43 pm

I would choose UO primarily on account of the strings attached to the Seattle scholarship. Top 25% is a pretty harsh condition.

UO may not be ideal given where you want to practice, but it seems reasonable to believe you will have a reasonable shot at those markets if you network well and target your summer work appropriately.

A'nold

Gold

Post by A'nold » Sun May 09, 2010 2:48 pm

UO > Seattle U. anyway.

Lonagan

Bronze

Post by Lonagan » Sun May 09, 2010 9:15 pm

Yeah, I would tend to agree.

For whatever it's worth, I am also potentially interested in the Pacific NW and I chose to apply to UO and not Seattle.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

A'nold

Gold

Post by A'nold » Sun May 09, 2010 9:29 pm

Lonagan wrote:Yeah, I would tend to agree.

For whatever it's worth, I am also potentially interested in the Pacific NW and I chose to apply to UO and not Seattle.
Yeah, b/c at least with U of O you have great placement throughout Oregon and into Portland AND a decent alumni network up in Seattle. With SU you are looking at Seattle and basically Seattle only, a very tough market. Add on those GPA requirements and you are looking at a one year scholly at SU if you consider the odds objectively.

kswiss

Bronze

Post by kswiss » Mon May 10, 2010 7:49 pm

cool thx for the replies. thats how i was leaning anyway I just wanted to make sure there wasn't some hidden feature at SU that I should be considering.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Choosing a Law School”