Syracuse v. Cooley v. Detroit Mercy Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
jjd06e

New

Re: Syracuse v. Cooley v. Detroit Mercy

Post by jjd06e » Thu May 06, 2010 6:10 pm

FuManChusco wrote:This is absurd. I didn't even bother reading the thread after I saw you took 2 PTs. Dude, I've taken 2 PTs back to back. Before the June LSAT, I'll probably be about 35 PTs deep with extra section practice. You are literally insane if you take one of those offers with what was basically a 160 diagnostic and a 3.3. Study your balls off, get a 170 and ED to UVA. You'll thank me later.
Well good for you, some of us did not have time to take 30+ practice tests. The elitism on this board is too much sometimes. You're advice isn't bad but you don't have to have the attitude.

FuManChusco

Silver

Post by FuManChusco » Thu May 06, 2010 6:21 pm

jjd06e wrote:
FuManChusco wrote:This is absurd. I didn't even bother reading the thread after I saw you took 2 PTs. Dude, I've taken 2 PTs back to back. Before the June LSAT, I'll probably be about 35 PTs deep with extra section practice. You are literally insane if you take one of those offers with what was basically a 160 diagnostic and a 3.3. Study your balls off, get a 170 and ED to UVA. You'll thank me later.
Well good for you, some of us did not have time to take 30+ practice tests. The elitism on this board is too much sometimes. You're advice isn't bad but you don't have to have the attitude.
You're right, you don't have to. Then you end up getting a 159 and having to choose between UDM, Cuse, and Cooley. If you're going to commit 100k+ in debt and pursue a career in law, then you should put away the time to diligently study for the LSAT. I'm not saying you're a lesser person because you didn't get into a T14 or T30. I'm not an elitist. I just think you're an idiot for taking 2 PTs and settling for a T2 or TTT. You're most likely capable of scoring much higher than a 159 and I think it's a joke that you don't care enough to improve. This is your career we're talking about.

dutchstriker

Bronze

Post by dutchstriker » Thu May 06, 2010 6:30 pm

Wow. Seriously, study more and retake the LSAT. Two preptests is a joke. Take at least 20, more like 35 or 40. With a 159 diagnostic, you should be able to get in the mid 160s easily. At that point, you will be in much, much better shape.

You can either say, "I don't have time to study" or "I don't know what I'd do for a year" but you can't say both. Deliver pizzas for a year, get a much better LSAT, and go to a better school and/or get more money.

jjd06e

New

Post by jjd06e » Thu May 06, 2010 6:32 pm

FuManChusco wrote:
jjd06e wrote:
You're right, you don't have to. Then you end up getting a 159 and having to choose between UDM, Cuse, and Cooley. If you're going to commit 100k+ in debt and pursue a career in law, then you should put away the time to diligently study for the LSAT. I'm not saying you're a lesser person because you didn't get into a T14 or T30. I'm not an elitist. I just think you're an idiot for taking 2 PTs and settling for a T2 or TTT. You're most likely capable of scoring much higher than a 159 and I think it's a joke that you don't care enough to improve. This is your career we're talking about.
Yea, but in all seriousness the first job is the toughest to get and it's on reputation after that. I want to be a criminal lawyer most likely and in Michigan and I have some resources in state that I think would help tremendously. I also am getting scholarships from UDM and Cooley(although Cooley is basically eliminated since I got the udm scholly) so I will not get close to $100 k in debt, that would only happen if I went to one of those top 50 to 100 schools without the scholarship. If I didn't have an in and wanted to do say corporate law than I'd agree 100% with you but I'm not so sure what to do now with my current situation.

JollyGreenGiant

Silver

Post by JollyGreenGiant » Thu May 06, 2010 6:40 pm

That name was always follow you around though.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

FuManChusco

Silver

Post by FuManChusco » Thu May 06, 2010 6:43 pm

jjd06e wrote:
FuManChusco wrote:
jjd06e wrote:
Yea, but in all seriousness the first job is the toughest to get and it's on reputation after that. I want to be a criminal lawyer most likely and in Michigan and I have some resources in state that I think would help tremendously. I also am getting scholarships from UDM and Cooley(although Cooley is basically eliminated since I got the udm scholly) so I will not get close to $100 k in debt, that would only happen if I went to one of those top 50 to 100 schools without the scholarship. If I didn't have an in and wanted to do say corporate law than I'd agree 100% with you but I'm not so sure what to do now with my current situation.
It's not a coincidence that everyone in this thread is telling you to retake and reapply. I'm not going to bother trying to help you anymore. You clearly don't care. Go to your TTT and pray that your hook up is still around in 3 years.

OG Loc

Bronze

Post by OG Loc » Thu May 06, 2010 6:50 pm

wakefield wrote:
romothesavior wrote:
The Invisible Man wrote:Take a year off, study/practice taking the LSAT for 3-4 months and re-take.

[strike]If not, then go to Syracuse[/strike].
+1. Cuse Law isn't even very well-regarded in its home market.
Sure it is. But still not worth even close to sticker.
jjd06e wrote:
For God's sake, make time. It will be worth it.

Gold

Post by 03121202698008 » Thu May 06, 2010 6:52 pm

jjd06e wrote:
FuManChusco wrote:
jjd06e wrote:
This isn't true at all. My cousin works for a pretty big business (they don't have a GC) and their legal counsel provides a list of everyone working on their cases and where they went to law school. Even for the partners. He isn't willing to have anyone from outside a top school do work for them as he couldn't explain it to the owner if they messed up. They get a warm fuzzy from the reputation of the school.

I've heard this echoed from several GC's. Also, my step-dad went to Widener years ago and has never gotten outside of its shadow. He's done okay but I doubt he's ever made more than $40k a year. He was even an elected DA for several terms but when he left that no firm would touch him. He's even in Widener's backyard.

How do you know your contact will still be around? If this is a government office, how do you know they won't be in a hiring freeze when you graduate?

You have the chance to go to a much better school with a little practice. You said you couldn't find time to take LSATs...how will you find time to go to school? I studied for and took the LSAT while deployed to Iraq. I got about 4-5 hours of sleep a night in order to do it but I recognized it's importance.

30 prep tests between now and October is nothing. You are looking at one test a week.

84Sunbird2000

Silver

Post by 84Sunbird2000 » Thu May 06, 2010 6:56 pm

IF you want to do Crim Law in Michigan, and assuming that UDM scholarship was 30,500 per year, not 30,500 over 3 yeara, then it's not a bad option. Since you can commute, you'd be looking at only 15k or so in debt after 3 years. Possibly less. If that scholarship was 30.5 over the course of three years, don't do it.

I'm saying this given that you appear reticent (if not totally unwilling) to take an extra year off and study for the LSAT. I PT'd at 160, and after I did 10 or 12 PTs and a small portion of the LG bible, I was averaging upper 160s. I was quite sick the day of the test but got a 166. Even though you have a lower 3.3 GPA, with a 166 you'd definitely be looking at better schools - like a full scholarship to Michigan State or Wayne State.

It's nice to have a connection, but don't rest all of your hopes and projections upon that connection. Things can change in 3 or 4 years.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Kilpatrick

Silver

Post by Kilpatrick » Thu May 06, 2010 7:01 pm

jjd06e wrote:
It takes about three hours to complete a full practice test. You don't have 3 hours a day to devote to something this important? Please show me your daily schedule and I will show you where you can squeeze in time for LSAT study.

wakefield

Bronze

Post by wakefield » Thu May 06, 2010 7:11 pm

OG Loc wrote:
wakefield wrote:
romothesavior wrote:
The Invisible Man wrote:Take a year off, study/practice taking the LSAT for 3-4 months and re-take.

[strike]If not, then go to Syracuse[/strike].
+1. Cuse Law isn't even very well-regarded in its home market.
Sure it is. But still not worth even close to sticker.

Not really. I live in that area. Anecdotal, but not a single practicing attorney in upstate NY has spoken positively of Syracuse - not even the ones who went there. I've talked with quite a few of them, but certainly not all. Just saying, I wouldn't count on getting a job coming out of Cuse.

JollyGreenGiant

Silver

Post by JollyGreenGiant » Thu May 06, 2010 7:36 pm

jjd06e wrote:
This is usually code for "too lazy to do all those tests." I'm not trying to be a jerk.. more like showing tough love. But you want the results? Put in the work.

darknightbegins

Silver

Post by darknightbegins » Thu May 06, 2010 7:38 pm

You are telling me with Cuse's alumni network the guy can't get a job coming out of there? The VP of the United States went there. Saying it isn't worth sticker is one thing, saying you can't get a job out of there is something else entirely.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

OG Loc

Bronze

Post by OG Loc » Thu May 06, 2010 8:00 pm

wakefield wrote:

Not really. I live in that area. Anecdotal, but not a single practicing attorney in upstate NY has spoken positively of Syracuse - not even the ones who went there. I've talked with quite a few of them, but certainly not all. Just saying, I wouldn't count on getting a job coming out of Cuse.
I live in Syr too, and I believe your anecdotes - this place has to be one of the most negative, self hating cities in the country. But regardless, generally SU=UB=Albany in upstate with minimal competition from others. The DA office (where I once interned), the local criminal practice, and the pseudo-biglaw firms are filled with grads from them. It is a tertiary market, much too small to absorb a whole class of SU grads every year; But I don't think an SU grad in Syracuse would fare any worse than, say, a Baylor grad in Waco or a Tennessee grad in Knoxville.

wakefield

Bronze

Post by wakefield » Thu May 06, 2010 9:47 pm

OG Loc wrote:
wakefield wrote:

I live in Syr too, and I believe your anecdotes - this place has to be one of the most negative, self hating cities in the country. But regardless, generally SU=UB=Albany in upstate with minimal competition from others. The DA office (where I once interned), the local criminal practice, and the pseudo-biglaw firms are filled with grads from them. It is a tertiary market, much too small to absorb a whole class of SU grads every year; But I don't think an SU grad in Syracuse would fare any worse than, say, a Baylor grad in Waco or a Tennessee grad in Knoxville.
Agreed. OP would probably be better off going to Buffalo and hoping for in-state tuition at some point.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Return to “Choosing a Law School”