Syracuse v. Cooley v. Detroit Mercy Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
Caps1029

New

Re: Syracuse v. Cooley v. Detroit Mercy

Post by Caps1029 » Thu May 06, 2010 11:18 am

I just withdrew my offer from MSU yesterday so, send a LOCI and pray. Maybe you'll get my spot.

lostjake

Bronze

Post by lostjake » Thu May 06, 2010 11:20 am

If you think general practice firms in Detroit are hiring right now Lulz. Either go to wayne or UM, or if you want the west side and can get $$$ MSU. Maybe people even at UM got no offered in the Detroit area.

The Invisible Man

New

Post by The Invisible Man » Thu May 06, 2010 11:26 am

Take a year off, study/practice taking the LSAT for 3-4 months and re-take.

If not, then go to Syracuse.

Gold

Post by 03121202698008 » Thu May 06, 2010 11:30 am

The problem with Cooley's scholarship is the conditions they tend to impose. They are known to stack sections so at least some people lose their scholarships. (If all scholarship people are in the same section and it requires top 50%, then half with lose them...)

fitzy14

New

Post by fitzy14 » Thu May 06, 2010 11:57 am

Even if your LSAT does not improve drastically, applying early with your numbers will mean scholarships to schools of this caliber rather than waitlists.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

yabbadabbado

Bronze

Post by yabbadabbado » Thu May 06, 2010 2:38 pm

Assuming you really want to be a lawyer:

My advice is get a job, retake the LSAT and think about moving somewhere else when you can to go to law school and practice law. Go somewhere where you can eventually establish residency before going to law school and take advantage of in-state tuition. By the time you get around to that, hopefully the legal job market will have recovered and with in-state tuition you won't be taking on nearly as much debt.

The job market in Michigan other rust belt states is horrendously bad. The job market for lawyers is bad everywhere but even worse in these places. Coming out of any of lower ranked school in the area you are going to face a tremendous uphill battle just to get any decent job, much less the types of jobs you are talking about.

jjd06e

New

Post by jjd06e » Thu May 06, 2010 2:44 pm

I know about the job market in Michigan, but I have a connection in the state that could help tremendously. I think I would be able to get a job out of Law School if I wanted after going to an in state school, but it would not be with a firm (I dont really want to get into it on here). And since the first job is usually the hardest, Im considering just going to a school in Michigan and using my resource to get a job instead of holding off a year to get in a better school and possibly get a better job. Also the regular job market in Michigan is terrible right now, so I dont know how easy it would be to get a job for a year while re-doing the process, and I cant just take a year off.

joemoviebuff

Silver

Post by joemoviebuff » Thu May 06, 2010 2:52 pm

romothesavior wrote:Seriously, your LSAT study habits sucked. 2 prep tests is nowhere near enough. And even more important than the quanity of studying is the quality of the studying.

You need to completely start from scratch.

1. Work on TONS of practice problems, and do them according to section (LR, LG, and RC). Do the questions untimed and slowly, working through each stem and question. Work through each problem, and don't just look for the right answer. Also look at why the wrong answers are wrong. Over time, you will start to see patterns developing, and these patterns are essential to really "knowing" the LSAT. You cannot work quickly and effectively on the LSAT without knowing these patterns.

2. After you start to feel really comfortable with each section, start testing your endurance.

3. Finally, start doing practice tests. And I mean LOTS of them. After each test, go back and see what you missed and why. This review after each practice test is the most important part of the practice test because you'll see what is actually tripping you up.

You should spend at least 3 months or so studying for the LSAT. I would recommend getting a job, studying for the October LSAT, and applying EARLY next cycle.

Do NOT go to one of these schools. Your GPA is decent enough that a good LSAT will make you competitive.
This but I'd add Step 0: Reading the Powerscore bibles.

yabbadabbado

Bronze

Post by yabbadabbado » Thu May 06, 2010 2:54 pm

Think about your connection a little bit...a lot of these so called "connections" are not nearly as good as people think. Unless your connection is really willing to pull for you and has the power to personally make sure you get hired, it's not worth factoring into the equation.

If it is a main factor, my guess is you wouldn't be posing this question on here in the first place. Why can't that connection get you a non-legal job to fill some time and make some $? Maybe I'm wrong, but I doubt your connection with this person is as good as you might think it is.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

romothesavior

Diamond

Post by romothesavior » Thu May 06, 2010 2:54 pm

The Invisible Man wrote:Take a year off, study/practice taking the LSAT for 3-4 months and re-take.

[strike]If not, then go to Syracuse[/strike].

wakefield

Bronze

Post by wakefield » Thu May 06, 2010 2:59 pm

romothesavior wrote:
The Invisible Man wrote:Take a year off, study/practice taking the LSAT for 3-4 months and re-take.

[strike]If not, then go to Syracuse[/strike].
+1. Cuse Law isn't even very well-regarded in its home market.

romothesavior

Diamond

Post by romothesavior » Thu May 06, 2010 3:03 pm

Anyone advising the OP to even consider going to one of these schools is a out to lunch. OP put in a half-assed effort with his LSAT studies (and that's being generous). This kid needs to really apply himself to getting a good LSAT score and he could get into some pretty good schools. Mid 160s will crack T40, and high 160s could get him into WUSTL, Minnesota, UIUC, Emory, etc. The extra year to study and work is well worth it.

jjd06e

New

Post by jjd06e » Thu May 06, 2010 3:18 pm

yabbadabbado wrote:Think about your connection a little bit...a lot of these so called "connections" are not nearly as good as people think. Unless your connection is really willing to pull for you and has the power to personally make sure you get hired, it's not worth factoring into the equation.

If it is a main factor, my guess is you wouldn't be posing this question on here in the first place. Why can't that connection get you a non-legal job to fill some time and make some $? Maybe I'm wrong, but I doubt your connection with this person is as good as you might think it is.
Well my connection is in the legal field so they could not help me out with getting a non-legal job. And also I think this connection may be better than I think it is because its a family member and its the same person who got my application to be considered at Wayne State even though I didnt get my LSAT until after their deadline.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

deadpanic

Silver

Post by deadpanic » Thu May 06, 2010 3:22 pm

jjd06e wrote:
yabbadabbado wrote:Think about your connection a little bit...a lot of these so called "connections" are not nearly as good as people think. Unless your connection is really willing to pull for you and has the power to personally make sure you get hired, it's not worth factoring into the equation.

Well my connection is in the legal field so they could not help me out with getting a non-legal job. And also I think this connection may be better than I think it is because its a family member and its the same person who got my application to be considered at Wayne State even though I didnt get my LSAT until after their deadline.
If this guy is truly a big d*ck, he can land you a job outside the legal field through his connections. It is not like lawyers just know other lawyers and that is it. Sounds like you may need a new connection.

jjd06e

New

Post by jjd06e » Thu May 06, 2010 3:25 pm

deadpanic wrote:
jjd06e wrote:

If this guy is truly a big d*ck, he can land you a job outside the legal field through his connections. It is not like lawyers just know other lawyers and that is it. Sounds like you may need a new connection.
Uhmm, what? This person is somewhat highly ranked for an Office in Michigan and could help me land a job in that office....thats it, I dont get how I should expect him to get me a job outside the legal field as well. I dont get what the point of your post is

Also, I think I am going to search the job market and if I can find anything rather quickly it would make the take a year off option more likely.

Case2L

Bronze

Post by Case2L » Thu May 06, 2010 3:33 pm

Normally, I would never EVER recommend this, but in your case, it is a viable (but not great) option to go to Cooley with the intent to transfer. I know for a fact that Cooley does NOT do section stacking, and your LSAT is off the charts by Cooley standards. If you commit yourself to giving up your life for one academic year, you can do well enough to transfer out. I was a Cooley transfer, and I transferred into Case back when they were ranked 49, so Cooley to top 50 is doable (in fact, some in my entering class made it to Cornell and Wisco). Should you decide you go this route, feel free to PM me. Again, this is risky and you run the chance of being stuck at Cooley, so don't make the decision lightly.

84Sunbird2000

Silver

Post by 84Sunbird2000 » Thu May 06, 2010 3:42 pm

NO. Don't count on transferring. Because you'll almost certainly have to pay full price to the school you transfer from. And your odds of transferring from Cooley are lower than your odds of being part of Cooley's 1L fail-out attrition.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

jjd06e

New

Post by jjd06e » Thu May 06, 2010 4:04 pm

Well this might change things, UDM sent me scholarship information today in the mail, so I am getting money. I think that pretty much eliminates Cooley.

84Sunbird2000

Silver

Post by 84Sunbird2000 » Thu May 06, 2010 4:14 pm

How much?

A'nold

Gold

Post by A'nold » Thu May 06, 2010 4:15 pm

Aren't they moving to Florida?

romothesavior

Diamond

Post by romothesavior » Thu May 06, 2010 4:17 pm

jjd06e wrote:Well this might change things, UDM sent me scholarship information today in the mail, so I am getting money. I think that pretty much eliminates Cooley.
Dude, please... for your own sake, take a year off. One year of your life is a small price to pay when it could mean DRASTICALLY improving your long-term career. Your GPA is not that bad, and a 10-point increase will open up the door to MANY more schools (which is very doable if you actually STUDY this time instead of take two practice tests).

For reference: I got a 160 on my first PT, and my final LSAT score was a 168. Probably could have even been a bit higher with more prep. If you scored a 159 on your first ever PT, you can EASILY get into the mid-160s. PLEASE do not do yourself a disservice; STUDY AND GET INTO A BETTER SCHOOL!

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

FuManChusco

Silver

Post by FuManChusco » Thu May 06, 2010 5:18 pm

This is absurd. I didn't even bother reading the thread after I saw you took 2 PTs. Dude, I've taken 2 PTs back to back. Before the June LSAT, I'll probably be about 35 PTs deep with extra section practice. You are literally insane if you take one of those offers with what was basically a 160 diagnostic and a 3.3. Study your balls off, get a 170 and ED to UVA. You'll thank me later.

The Invisible Man

New

Post by The Invisible Man » Thu May 06, 2010 5:20 pm

FuManChusco wrote:This is absurd. I didn't even bother reading the thread after I saw you took 2 PTs. Dude, I've taken 2 PTs back to back. Before the June LSAT, I'll probably be about 35 PTs deep with extra section practice. You are literally insane if you take one of those offers with what was basically a 160 diagnostic and a 3.3. Study your balls off, get a 170 and ED to UVA. You'll thank me later.

Why not HYS? UVA has WEAK lay prestige/name recognition compared to HYS.

FuManChusco

Silver

Post by FuManChusco » Thu May 06, 2010 5:23 pm

The Invisible Man wrote:
FuManChusco wrote:This is absurd. I didn't even bother reading the thread after I saw you took 2 PTs. Dude, I've taken 2 PTs back to back. Before the June LSAT, I'll probably be about 35 PTs deep with extra section practice. You are literally insane if you take one of those offers with what was basically a 160 diagnostic and a 3.3. Study your balls off, get a 170 and ED to UVA. You'll thank me later.

Why not HYS? UVA has WEAK lay prestige/name recognition compared to HYS.
Your sarcasm is uncalled for. A 3.3/170 probably gets UVA ED. A 3.3 never gets HYS.

edit: probably was a little strong. possibly*****

jjd06e

New

Post by jjd06e » Thu May 06, 2010 6:06 pm

84Sunbird2000 wrote:How much?
A little over $30k don't have the paper in front of me but I think it was $30,500.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”