UCLA ($) vs. NU sticker Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
weee

Bronze

Re: UCLA ($) vs. NU sticker

Post by weee » Tue May 04, 2010 12:34 am

raspberryfruitcake wrote:I hate the 405 as well. Driving local is best in LA :)

I sent in the seat deposit for UCLA to buy me more time to decide. Is COL really cheaper in Chicago than in LA? By how much?

UCLA's website says that in-state tuition is $35,328. Where does it say that it's 45K???????????????

I apologize if this thread turned into an LA-bashing thread... :D
Did you even look at your ePAL? it is already 40k this year, and the regents are raising the tuition to compensate for the loss of state funding. If you were really considering UCLA you should have gone to at least one admitted students' day? I believe it was addressed by the interim dean at both.

http://www.universityofcalifornia.edu/r ... v09/f2.pdf

that PDF says it all...

Of course UCLA doesn't flash that information out there because it would deter people from attending, but they won't lie to you if you just ask either.

im_blue

Gold

Post by im_blue » Tue May 04, 2010 12:38 am

weee wrote:

I sent in the seat deposit for UCLA to buy me more time to decide. Is COL really cheaper in Chicago than in LA? By how much?

UCLA's website says that in-state tuition is $35,328. Where does it say that it's 45K???????????????

Did you even look at your ePAL? it is already 40k this year, and the regents are raising the tuition to compensate for the loss of state funding. If you were really considering UCLA you should have gone to at least one admitted students' day? I believe it was addressed by the interim dean at both.

that PDF says it all...

Of course UCLA doesn't flash that information out there because it would deter people from attending, but they won't lie to you if you just ask either.
I consider that lying, because Berkeley is perfectly capable of putting that information clearly on their web site.
http://www.law.berkeley.edu/6943.htm

quickquestionthanks

Silver

Post by quickquestionthanks » Tue May 04, 2010 2:11 am

anthonyc350 wrote:If you think LA is a nicer place to live than Chicago you need to have your head examined. I'd rather put up with Chicago winters 365 days a year than live in the shi*hole of america.

^^clearly never been to Westwood^^

but yes, LA will cost more than Chicago. The UCLA area would be an expensive place to live without the tens of thousands of university students. It's one of the most expensive places to rent in LA.
Last edited by quickquestionthanks on Tue May 04, 2010 2:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

JOThompson

Silver

Post by JOThompson » Tue May 04, 2010 2:12 am

Desert Fox wrote:
raspberryfruitcake wrote:Which school should I choose??

UCLA will be around $28K/year for me (In-state + tiny scholarship)
NU will be $47K/year (no scholarship, just got off wait list)

I *think* I want to practice corporate law, but I am not sure.
I don't have a particular geographical preference.

I have 8 hours to decide! Help!!
UCLA for SoCal market, NU for everywhere else.

anthonyc350

Bronze

Post by anthonyc350 » Tue May 04, 2010 2:42 am

I'm from Anaheim, I've been to westwood a thousand times, its sterile for a college town and rent is astronomical, would rather live in wrigleyville for twice the better atmosphere and half the price. I think UCLA is a phenomenal school, im just saying if you are comparing the cities from someone who has lived for a significant amount of time near both you'd be crazy to chose LA based on QOL.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

fortissimo

Silver

Post by fortissimo » Tue May 04, 2010 9:34 am

motiontodismiss wrote:
scionb4 wrote:
quickquestionthanks wrote:LA can be pretty cool if you know where to go. Don't bash it until you've lived there for at least 6 months.
6 months!? You should be able to make judgment on whether or not you'd like to live somewhere in quite a bit less time than that. I personally wouldn't ever want to spend 6 months in a place I hate in the hope that I will stop hating it, especially if I never did and I blew all that $ on a place I didn't want to live in. LA is waaaaaaayyyyyyyy too expensive of a place to just say "Oh, give it 6 months before you make a decision."
6 seconds at LAX is enough for me to render a decision. LA proper is much worse than LAX.
I spent 10 hours in LAX once due to a flight delay. Tried to drown myself in a urinal but it didn't work.

motiontodismiss

Silver

Post by motiontodismiss » Tue May 04, 2010 11:50 am

fortissimo wrote:
motiontodismiss wrote:
scionb4 wrote:
quickquestionthanks wrote:LA can be pretty cool if you know where to go. Don't bash it until you've lived there for at least 6 months.
6 months!? You should be able to make judgment on whether or not you'd like to live somewhere in quite a bit less time than that. I personally wouldn't ever want to spend 6 months in a place I hate in the hope that I will stop hating it, especially if I never did and I blew all that $ on a place I didn't want to live in. LA is waaaaaaayyyyyyyy too expensive of a place to just say "Oh, give it 6 months before you make a decision."
6 seconds at LAX is enough for me to render a decision. LA proper is much worse than LAX.
I spent 10 hours in LAX once due to a flight delay. Tried to drown myself in a urinal but it didn't work.
I would rather fly in a middle seat on United all the way down to Australia than get stuck at LAX for 10 hours. Although if it wasn't 2AM, plane watching at In N Out would have been a possibility.

raspberryfruitcake

New

Post by raspberryfruitcake » Fri May 07, 2010 10:23 am

weee wrote:

that PDF says it all...

Crap! I just looked at the ePAL thing! In my OP I was just going off of what the website says. Ughhh!!! 5K Increase!!

weee

Bronze

Post by weee » Fri May 07, 2010 11:12 am

Yes, and it is going up 5k per year while we are there. I am going to ucla but I hate to see someone choose ucla based on a false assumption about the tuition

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

raspberryfruitcake

New

Post by raspberryfruitcake » Sat May 08, 2010 1:04 pm

weee wrote:Yes, and it is going up 5k per year while we are there. I am going to ucla but I hate to see someone choose ucla based on a false assumption about the tuition
Yep, thanks so much. Now the difference is only $30K for 3 years... not bad. Both are very expensive though!

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”