Need to make a decision YESTERDAY. Help!! Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

Where should I go?

UC Davis
82%
Ohio State
6%
University of San Diego
12%

Total votes: 17

nonamebreakdown

New

Need to make a decision YESTERDAY. Help!!

Post by nonamebreakdown » Thu Apr 29, 2010 4:46 pm

I'm from Southern California and I don't know what kind of law I want to practice. UC Davis is the highest ranked of my three options, but tuition will be about twice as much as OSU's or USD's. Cost of attendance at OSU and USD is comparable, though cost of living in Columbus would be lower. I'm not 100% set on working in CA after law school, but I definitely can't see myself staying in Columbus for more than a couple years following graduation. If money were not an issue, I would choose Davis. Is a UCD diploma worth two times the debt?

CanadianWolf

Diamond

Re: Need to make a decision YESTERDAY. Help!!

Post by CanadianWolf » Thu Apr 29, 2010 4:51 pm

There is not enough information in your post for one to make a well reasoned recommendation. The good news is that all three are solid law schools, but the on campus interviews are likely to be with local or regional firms so your decision may be influenced by where you plan to live & work.

tallboone

Bronze

Post by tallboone » Thu Apr 29, 2010 4:52 pm

Better decide if you want to work in NorCal or San Diego and pick one. OSU will not take you far out of Ohio. Also, I would say UCD is probably worth paying sticker, especially if you have scholarship stipulations attached to your USD offer.

flyingpanda

Silver

Post by flyingpanda » Thu Apr 29, 2010 4:54 pm

I think you should throw OSU out. If you don't really see yourself happy working in Ohio, don't go there. You seem to have cold feet about debt, so take the scholly at USD would be my suggestion.

nonamebreakdown

New

Post by nonamebreakdown » Thu Apr 29, 2010 5:13 pm

I don't have scholarship stipulations at USD as the only reason it is cheaper is because of a renewable need-based grant that covers about half of tuition. I still might qualify for something need-based at Davis, but I'm not counting on it. I will have some financial assistance from my parents for books and housing, and an extra $60k or so doesn't seem like the worst thing in the world--I'll just buy one less car during my lifetime--so I should probably just go with Davis. Thoughts?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

flyingpanda

Silver

Post by flyingpanda » Thu Apr 29, 2010 5:45 pm

Go for it, just keep in mind that $60k additional tuition is more than 60k more debt.

Tangerine Gleam

Silver

Post by Tangerine Gleam » Thu Apr 29, 2010 6:23 pm

aznflyingpanda wrote:Go for it, just keep in mind that $60k additional tuition is more than 60k more debt.
Not to mention that I'd count that as about 3 cars. :wink: Pre-interest.

I agree that OP should decide if he/she would rather work in SoCal or NorCal. You won't necessarily be limited to one region, but you should absolutely make your school choice based on that assumption.

nonamebreakdown

New

Post by nonamebreakdown » Thu Apr 29, 2010 6:31 pm

Tangerine Gleam wrote:
aznflyingpanda wrote:Go for it, just keep in mind that $60k additional tuition is more than 60k more debt.
Not to mention that I'd count that as about 3 cars. :wink: Pre-interest.

I agree that OP should decide if he/she would rather work in SoCal or NorCal. You won't necessarily be limited to one region, but you should absolutely make your school choice based on that assumption.

One less Mercedes, I should say :wink:

superflush

Silver

Post by superflush » Fri Apr 30, 2010 6:14 am

Tangerine Gleam wrote:I agree that OP should decide if he/she would rather work in SoCal or NorCal. You won't necessarily be limited to one region, but you should absolutely make your school choice based on that assumption.
This. If you don't want to be in NorCal, then go to USD.
nonamebreakdown wrote:I definitely can't see myself staying in Columbus for more than a couple years following graduation.
If this is your hardline stance, then you shouldn't go to Ohio State.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Choosing a Law School”