Wake Forest vs. UGA, same cost at both Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

Which school should I choose?

Wake Forest
63%
UGA
38%

Total votes: 8

gegenuber

New

Wake Forest vs. UGA, same cost at both

Post by gegenuber » Thu Apr 29, 2010 4:26 pm

Hey, longtime lurker here. I had checked out the other threads on these schools, but I am still having a tough time making a decision. Here are the basics:

Both schools will cost me the same amount of money and be relatively cheap.(assuming I get instate at UGA for the 2nd and 3rd years, which I am confident of as I have jumped through the hoops before in a more strict residency environment) Wake might cost 5k more in total.

Im from SC, where I have a decent network, and went to undergrad in NC. I also have family in NC, could maybe swing a network there too, maybe. I am very flexible and do not mind living in either state. I enjoy new places. Career-wise I would love to do JAG if I could manage to get accepted. Otherwise I am interested in government work or a small/mid-sized firm. I would prefer to stay in the South, but if by some outside chance I could swing DC I would go in a heartbeat. I am not terribly picky on location.

I love the small class size at Wake, and I have a connection to the area, etc. NC would be a great place to live in.
I also love Athens(reminds me of my undergrad's town) and feel like maybe the career prospects would be slightly stronger out of there??? I like that it is the state's school. Ultimately, I just want to get A job. I got a good feeling from my visits to both schools.

Ultimately, my question is which place would offer me a better chance to succeed/successfully find employment? And/or which should I choose?

fwaam

Bronze

Re: Wake Forest vs. UGA, same cost at both

Post by fwaam » Thu Apr 29, 2010 8:59 pm

I'm also from SC and was looking at these schools before the T14 came calling. My impression is that the Wake degree is more portable. Of course, UGA is a great school, but self-selection or not, the vast majority of the grads stay in Georgia (and I've heard it's hard to get out of GA at least for the first few years). I don't think that applies so much to Wake. But I'm not an expert either. And UGA every once in awhile gets a SCOTUS clerk, which is awesome (of course it's a total crapshoot, but it shows that the school is well regarded outside of Georgia). But UGA isn't the only good school in Georgia (there's Emory), so I wouldn't assume it dominates that market.

Either way, you'll get a job, provided you don't slack off. You're wise to avoid USC, which I'd guess offered you a nice scholarship. ;)

So really my answer is that it comes down to which state, which city, which school you like better. Good luck!

kalvano

Diamond

Post by kalvano » Thu Apr 29, 2010 10:07 pm

Either one will serve your needs. Wake may have a slightly (like .00005%) better shot at D.C.

Other than that, all things being equal, both are good schools that will serve you well.

It really comes down to which place it more preferable to you. It sounds like you have connections in NC, which might be helpful, and as the above poster said, Wake might prove to be a little more portable.

But really, what sounds better to you, Georgia or NC? That's all it boils down to.

Grizz

Diamond

Post by Grizz » Thu Apr 29, 2010 10:21 pm

kalvano wrote: But really, what sounds better to you, Georgia or NC? That's all it boils down to.
TITCR. You will in all likelihood end up in GA or NC. DC is a very remote possibility.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”