Univ. of Baltimore Vs. FSU Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
terp0909

New

Univ. of Baltimore Vs. FSU

Post by terp0909 » Thu Apr 29, 2010 3:05 pm

I have been accepted to several schools, none ranked higher than FSU. Should I be concerned with the fact that FSU is borderline Tier 1 and Baltimore is at the bottom of Tier 2? I have no idea where I want to end up (and am currently on pace to complete OCS, Marine Corps this summer, which will take me everywhere for the first four years out of law school). Do the rankings make a HUGE difference on your resume?

Has anyone heard anything about UB? I have heard some good things, but am unsure.

Thanks

Dignan

Silver

Re: Univ. of Baltimore Vs. FSU

Post by Dignan » Thu Apr 29, 2010 3:57 pm

First, U of B is not at the bottom of T2; it's in the middle of T3.

Second, once you get past the top 25 or so law schools, you really need to focus on the region in which the law school is located. If you want to practice law in Maryland, then you should ignore the rankings and pick U of B over FSU. If you would rather live and practice in Florida, then you should definitely go with FSU.

If you really don't care whether you live in Maryland or Florida, then I'd go with the less expensive option. (If you got into Florida, I bet that U of B offered you scholarship money.)

Shaggier1

Silver

Post by Shaggier1 » Fri Apr 30, 2010 11:10 am

Has anyone heard anything about UB? I have heard some good things, but am unsure.
I would only go to Baltimore if the following two conditions were met:

1) I had a full ride

2) I was 100% sure I wanted to spend at least the net decade working in Baltimore

I am a fellow Terp so I know a few folks who went to UB. They had fun, but they also struggled/are still struggling to find jobs. One particular friend paid sticker and is now going on nearly a year without work. 200K+ in debt and no job? No thanks.

Dignan

Silver

Post by Dignan » Fri Apr 30, 2010 11:58 am

Shaggier1 wrote:
I would only go to Baltimore if the following two conditions were met:

1) I had a full ride

2) I was 100% sure I wanted to spend at least the net decade working in Baltimore

I am a fellow Terp so I know a few folks who went to UB. They had fun, but they also struggled/are still struggling to find jobs. One particular friend paid sticker and is now going on nearly a year without work. 200K+ in debt and no job? No thanks.
I'm sure Shaggier's story is true. Keep in mind, however, that you can find similar stories for pretty much every school ranked outside the T30, especially in today's economy. I have a friend whose situation is identical to the one described above (200k+ debt, no job), but his degree is from UC Hastings, which is ranked 40th.

I agree that it's important to minimize debt if you go to a lower ranked school. My only point is that you should not assume that FSU will be significantly better than UB just because it's ranked higher in USNWR. I still say that the region you want to practice in is the most important factor here.

ymp4

New

Post by ymp4 » Sat May 01, 2010 3:27 am

A number of U of B graduates end up working in DC. There just arent many law firms in Baltimore. However, keep in mind that you will be competing against GULC, GWU, American, GMU, UM, etc grads. Plz dont go and save yourself from pain and suffering along with 200k debt.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”