Where should I attend? (ALL TTT, TTTT options) Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

Where should I attend? (ALL TTT, TTTT options)

Poll ended at Tue May 04, 2010 5:24 pm

Quinnipiac, 5k per year
59%
Ave Maria, 15k per year
23%
Charleston, 10k per year
18%

Total votes: 22

Always Credited

Gold

Re: Where should I attend? (ALL TTT, TTTT options)

Post by Always Credited » Tue Apr 27, 2010 6:14 pm

evilgenius wrote:
pink_law14 wrote:
I've turned down acceptances and Scholarship offers at Pace, NY Law, Hofstra, and Widener.. simply because I did not want to be in the NYC area with such a high cost of living and poor quality of life... did I make a mistake?
Did you research any of these schools that you turned down? Neither Pace nor Hofstra are in NYC. While they are in the metropolitan area, they are both in the suburbs (at least 30 min outside of the city) and the cost of living is dramatically lower than NYC. And I can't imagine the QoL on Long Island or in Westchester being worse than that of Hamden. With Hofstra's jump in the rankings (and arguably before their jump), and scholarship offer I'd say that you made a mistake. Hofstra should have at least been one of your top picks, if these schools were your only choices.
:shock:

:shock: :shock:

nyjfanjmk

New

Post by nyjfanjmk » Wed Apr 28, 2010 10:22 am

I can't speak about the other two choices, but Quinnipiac isn't a bad option. It's on a very nice campus in a small town where you'll find affordable housing, and has small classes and, from what I've seen, a very friendly student body. You'll probably have to work hard to find a good job after, but it's only one of two law schools serving the Connecticut job market (Yale doesn't count for CT), and the alumni network is strong. Don't let others scare you into thinking that you won't get a job out of a third-tier school, you might just have to work harder.

Rand M.

Silver

Post by Rand M. » Wed Apr 28, 2010 10:24 am

Always Credited wrote:
evilgenius wrote:
pink_law14 wrote:
I've turned down acceptances and Scholarship offers at Pace, NY Law, Hofstra, and Widener.. simply because I did not want to be in the NYC area with such a high cost of living and poor quality of life... did I make a mistake?
Did you research any of these schools that you turned down? Neither Pace nor Hofstra are in NYC. While they are in the metropolitan area, they are both in the suburbs (at least 30 min outside of the city) and the cost of living is dramatically lower than NYC. And I can't imagine the QoL on Long Island or in Westchester being worse than that of Hamden. With Hofstra's jump in the rankings (and arguably before their jump), and scholarship offer I'd say that you made a mistake. Hofstra should have at least been one of your top picks, if these schools were your only choices.
:shock:

:shock: :shock:

doinmybest

Bronze

Post by doinmybest » Wed Apr 28, 2010 4:15 pm

eandy wrote:Please tell me those are the amounts you will be paying.

Darling, and I mean this in the nicest way possible, even if you aren't planning on doing "firm work." Those aren't going to cut it. Do yourself a favor, invest the money you would have on an apartment deposit on an LSAT course if law is really your dream.

South Carolina Law has a 56% employment rate at graduation. I guarantee Charleston is twice as bad. Do you know what that means? That means to get a job, any legal job AT ALL you would have to be in the top quarter of your class. Don't do that to yourself.

Retake, or reconsider law, sweetheart. :(

And whoever says Charleston places well = wrongo.
D. H2Oman wrote:I know it would be painful OP, but I seriously suggest you use your reretake option. Even as little as 5 points could do wonders for you.
^
Pay attention to the above quotes, since they offer you the best advice anyone could give you. I was in a similar situation a year ago. I took a year off to work, travel and study. I never regretted it. In fact, it was probably the best decision I have ever made in my entire life, since I will be attending my first choice school with $$ or even HYS if I get off the WL.

holydonkey

Silver

Post by holydonkey » Wed Apr 28, 2010 4:18 pm

retake

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Case2L

Bronze

Post by Case2L » Wed Apr 28, 2010 9:23 pm

OP, in another thread I believe you mentioned that you've been accepted to Pace. Why is Pace not included in the poll? It's a better school than the 3 in the poll, they have a nice niche in the Environmental Law field, and RFK Jr. teaches there. My vote is none of the above, and go to Pace.

Edit: just saw that you turned down Pace. I think you should have gone with Pace.
Last edited by Case2L on Thu Apr 29, 2010 12:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

savagecheater

Bronze

Post by savagecheater » Thu Apr 29, 2010 12:19 am

You need to re-take, break 160

Kilpatrick

Silver

Post by Kilpatrick » Thu Apr 29, 2010 12:29 am

I didn't know you could change the font color. Why is this even an option?

OP, you said you just graduated. In that case, take some time off. Retake. I know you're probably anxious to get started on some kind of a career path, but believe me, it's going to be the wrong kind of path if you go to one of these schools.

MentalGopher

New

Post by MentalGopher » Thu Apr 29, 2010 2:57 am

I'm with Kilpatrick on this. Take a year off. You can retake the LSAT and get a better score that'll get you into a T2 or T1 school. Your UGPA isn't a total wash and a score in the mid-160s would do wonders for your choices.

But if that's not an option, all I can say is DON'T go to Ave Maria.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

>:-)

New

Post by >:-) » Thu Apr 29, 2010 3:01 am

just go to cooley.

Grizz

Diamond

Post by Grizz » Thu Apr 29, 2010 3:07 am

Retake or don't go.

Debt + horrible job prospects = misery

New

Post by >:-) » Thu Apr 29, 2010 3:08 am

cooley is the best place ever. Its like heaven. Go there.

You Gotta Have Faith

Bronze

Post by You Gotta Have Faith » Thu Apr 29, 2010 3:08 am

YAY!!!! Such a COLORFUL THREAD!!!

This is Fantastic!! :lol:

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

New

Post by >:-) » Thu Apr 29, 2010 3:10 am

you want color go to cooleys auburn hills campus(near detroit)

You Gotta Have Faith

Bronze

Post by You Gotta Have Faith » Thu Apr 29, 2010 3:13 am

But for real... to answer OP's question.

If you're sure you don't want to work in a firm, and you know you want PI/Gov't work, then go wherever you will ultimately spend the least, given that it's in an area you find desirable to live in, and a reasonably decent school.

After a certain number of years (I think it's currently at 10) any remaining debt will be forgiven (check with the school for what the current stats are). This is of course contingent on the fact that you actually do work in such a a field. This has been done in recent years to encourage people to go into PI Law fields since not enough people were previously doing it (obviously because of the large amounts of debt taken on for jobs that didn't pay as much).

The rules for you, in that field at least, would be noticeably different from those who are looking to get a better-paying job and kill off the debt.

New

Post by >:-) » Thu Apr 29, 2010 3:16 am

A 160 at cooley is a FULL repeat FULL scholarship. You'd be close, I think 75%

pugalicious wrote:I'm just relaying what I've read on other threads about Charleston...I imagine it's slightly true (only in that the school does place some grads in jobs around the Charleston area and many currently-employed lawyers in Charleston likely attended the school. Doesn't mean it's a sure bet, ITE, but what is?

eandy

Gold

Post by eandy » Thu Apr 29, 2010 4:15 am

pugalicious wrote:I'm just relaying what I've read on other threads about Charleston...I imagine it's slightly true (only in that the school does place some grads in jobs around the Charleston area and many currently-employed lawyers in Charleston likely attended the school. Doesn't mean it's a sure bet, ITE, but what is?
Charleston is a new school, so no, "many currently-employed lawyers" in Charleston did NOT attend the school. As I said, wrongo.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

trialjunky

Silver

Post by trialjunky » Thu Apr 29, 2010 6:54 am

evilgenius wrote:
pink_law14 wrote:

THIS

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”