ITT Penn & Berkeley face off and you help me decide Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

Penn or Berkeley?

Penn - $139k total debt
58%
Berkeley - $153k total debt
42%

Total votes: 119

CCA

New

Re: ITT Penn & Berkeley face off and you help me decide

Post by CCA » Fri Apr 30, 2010 6:52 pm

ughOSU wrote:Yea I was expecting to really love Berkeley, but I only liked it. Parts of it are amazing, but there are a lot of bums. Of course, there will be plenty of bums in Philly as well.

I think TCR is that they're tied in the rankings so you should go to the cheapest one.
I thought Berkeley was very ghetto and filled with homeless, even right outside the law school. I personally did not like it at all and anyone considering it should definitely visit first.

There area around Penn is very different - safer with lots of security. There is never any reason to have to be in the worse parts of Philly, unlike Berkeley where the law school itself is not in a good area.

Dignan

Silver

Post by Dignan » Fri Apr 30, 2010 7:01 pm

CCA wrote: There area around Penn is very different - safer with lots of security. There is never any reason to have to be in the worse parts of Philly, unlike Berkeley where the law school itself is not in a good area.
There is lots of campus security around Penn because it's located in one of the highest crime areas in the United States. There are homeless people in Berkeley, but they're annoying, not dangerous. I think Berkeley is located in a great area, with literally hundreds of great restaurants and bars within walking distance. I can understand why someone wouldn't like Berkeley, but the area around the campus is not unsafe.

fortissimo

Silver

Post by fortissimo » Sat May 01, 2010 2:29 am

A'nold wrote:Livermore is a very nice area, are you smoking crack?
Are you being sarcastic or are you from Sunnyvale or other places with not-so-nice reputations?

ughOSU

Bronze

Post by ughOSU » Sat May 01, 2010 10:49 am

CCA wrote:
ughOSU wrote:Yea I was expecting to really love Berkeley, but I only liked it. Parts of it are amazing, but there are a lot of bums. Of course, there will be plenty of bums in Philly as well.

I think TCR is that they're tied in the rankings so you should go to the cheapest one.
I thought Berkeley was very ghetto and filled with homeless, even right outside the law school. I personally did not like it at all and anyone considering it should definitely visit first.

There area around Penn is very different - safer with lots of security. There is never any reason to have to be in the worse parts of Philly, unlike Berkeley where the law school itself is not in a good area.
Yea I didn't think it was terrible as in dangerous (although it was not as phenomenal of a neighborhood as I expected), I just didn't like it that much.

Also, for whoever said it, Penn is not in the most dangerous neighborhood in the US... That's Temple. It's at least a few miles away!!!

Georgiana

Silver

Post by Georgiana » Sat May 01, 2010 11:13 am

I voted Penn... I'm supposed to do that, right? :wink:

If you have questions re: Penn you know there's always the Penn thread and you can PM me. Two years here has given me lots of insight :)

It'll come down to personal preference, but if you're a fan of NYC, remember that its a 2 hour ($8-12) bus ride from Philly so its an easy day or weekend trip. You may be able to get a job there from Berk, but if you want to be able to visit during law school, you're better off on the east coast. Additionally, finding a job in NYC 1L summer will be easier (and less costly) if you're nearby, employers don't usually pay travel expenses for 1Ls. Food for thought.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Core

Silver

Post by Core » Sun May 02, 2010 8:26 am

Georgiana wrote:I voted Penn... I'm supposed to do that, right? :wink:

If you have questions re: Penn you know there's always the Penn thread and you can PM me. Two years here has given me lots of insight :)
Lol thanks. I'll probably be taking advantage of that over the next few weeks ;).

Kohinoor

Gold

Post by Kohinoor » Sun May 02, 2010 8:30 am

Berkeley. And I managed to do that without reading a single post ITT.

MC Southstar

Silver

Post by MC Southstar » Sun May 02, 2010 10:48 am

Even though I am going to Penn, I voted Berkeley because I have a Cali fetish.

*traitor*

I think it really comes down to personal preference on location though. Anyone who is worried about "homeless" people, have you been living in a gated community all your life? I'd be more worried about becoming homeless. :roll:

ughOSU

Bronze

Post by ughOSU » Sun May 02, 2010 3:29 pm

MC Southstar wrote:Even though I am going to Penn, I voted Berkeley because I have a Cali fetish.

*traitor*

I think it really comes down to personal preference on location though. Anyone who is worried about "homeless" people, have you been living in a gated community all your life? I'd be more worried about becoming homeless. :roll:
I'm not worried about them. I just don't like seeing them. Like in philly the cops throw them in shelters and/or arrest them for loitering. Then winter comes and they disappear. In Berkeley they sleep on your front lawn and treat public parks like their private restrooms. It's the only time I've ever seen someone take a shit outside in a city.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Diamond

Post by 20160810 » Sun May 02, 2010 5:18 pm

Berkeley is the best university on the planet, hth

NayBoer

Silver

Post by NayBoer » Sun May 02, 2010 5:52 pm

The answer to OP depends on the preferred coast. In case of no clear preference, I'd give Berkeley the edge.
fortissimo wrote:I think some people from Sac-town consider themselves to be part of the general "Bay Area" or at least they talk about it when trying to up the region they live in.
Nope.

Bay Area is generally defined as the 9 counties around the Bay with Santa Cruz sometimes added on even though it isn't truly on the Bay. Sacramento is not Bay Area. I lived in Sacramento for a while, and now I live in Marin. They are worlds apart.

fortissimo

Silver

Post by fortissimo » Sun May 02, 2010 6:20 pm

ughOSU wrote: I'm not worried about them. I just don't like seeing them. Like in philly the cops throw them in shelters and/or arrest them for loitering. Then winter comes and they disappear. In Berkeley they sleep on your front lawn and treat public parks like their private restrooms. It's the only time I've ever seen someone take a shit outside in a city.
The sad part is this isn't a joke and I've seen the same thing. I've seen homeless people in many places, but for the most part they aren't visible on a daily basis. Over there they are truly a different, crazier breed, much, much, much larger in number, and they are constantly in your face on a daily basis. That's a plus with living in a place like Philly with four seasons. You get an annual cleansing of the city.
NayBoer wrote: I lived in Sacramento for a while
I'm sorry.

mah2012

New

Post by mah2012 » Sun May 02, 2010 7:07 pm

fortissimo wrote:
ughOSU wrote: I'm not worried about them. I just don't like seeing them. Like in philly the cops throw them in shelters and/or arrest them for loitering. Then winter comes and they disappear. In Berkeley they sleep on your front lawn and treat public parks like their private restrooms. It's the only time I've ever seen someone take a shit outside in a city.
The sad part is this isn't a joke and I've seen the same thing. I've seen homeless people in many places, but for the most part they aren't visible on a daily basis. Over there they are truly a different, crazier breed, much, much, much larger in number, and they are constantly in your face on a daily basis. That's a plus with living in a place like Philly with four seasons. You get an annual cleansing of the city.
Do they really let people this ignorant into law school?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

fortissimo

Silver

Post by fortissimo » Sun May 02, 2010 7:10 pm

mah2012 wrote:
fortissimo wrote:
Do they really let people this ignorant into law school?
I lived in the East Bay. I assume you haven't because I'm not over-exaggerating. Cleansing = winter.

Dr. Strangelove

Silver

Post by Dr. Strangelove » Sun May 02, 2010 7:11 pm

I voted for Penn. Both schools are very good and it seems you prefer the East Coast anyway.
I think Berkeley is slightly more prestigious but not much more.

bilbobaggins

Silver

Post by bilbobaggins » Sun May 02, 2010 7:22 pm

CCA wrote:

Typical sheltered BS. The area around campus is very safe. You think homeless people sightings correlate with safety. This is false.

Anyone who says "homeless people are constantly in your face" can only mean this if seeing a homeless person constitutes having them "in your face."

If you want to stay in the suburbs away from people who are less fortunate than you are, don't go to Berkeley or Penn.

fortissimo

Silver

Post by fortissimo » Sun May 02, 2010 7:41 pm

bilbobaggins wrote:Anyone who says "homeless people are constantly in your face" can only mean this if seeing a homeless person constitutes having them "in your face."
Constantly in your face means they constantly ask for money, food, cigarettes, and sometimes make highly inappropriate sexual remarks about how you look/what they want to do to you.
Last edited by fortissimo on Sun May 02, 2010 8:01 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

ughOSU

Bronze

Post by ughOSU » Sun May 02, 2010 7:55 pm

I'm glad I sparked this debate. It's cracking me up. Have the people defending the bums ever been to berkeley? They really are all over the place, and I view that as a negative (sorry). Don't get me wrong, it's not a deal-breaker or anything, and it's not a safety hazard, at least not to me as I'm a pretty big guy that could probably take a 120 lb bum that hasn't had a meal in a month, but they look gross, smell bad, and shit all over the place. That doesn't make me ignorant (in fact it makes me realistic). I just don't like bums.

bilbobaggins

Silver

Post by bilbobaggins » Mon May 03, 2010 12:38 am

ughOSU wrote:I'm glad I sparked this debate. It's cracking me up. Have the people defending the bums ever been to berkeley? They really are all over the place, and I view that as a negative (sorry). Don't get me wrong, it's not a deal-breaker or anything, and it's not a safety hazard, at least not to me as I'm a pretty big guy that could probably take a 120 lb bum that hasn't had a meal in a month, but they look gross, smell bad, and shit all over the place. That doesn't make me ignorant (in fact it makes me realistic). I just don't like bums.
I live in Berkeley. Not liking "bums" does make you ignorant.

Diamond

Post by 20160810 » Mon May 03, 2010 4:34 am

bilbobaggins wrote:
ughOSU wrote:I'm glad I sparked this debate. It's cracking me up. Have the people defending the bums ever been to berkeley? They really are all over the place, and I view that as a negative (sorry). Don't get me wrong, it's not a deal-breaker or anything, and it's not a safety hazard, at least not to me as I'm a pretty big guy that could probably take a 120 lb bum that hasn't had a meal in a month, but they look gross, smell bad, and shit all over the place. That doesn't make me ignorant (in fact it makes me realistic). I just don't like bums.
I want to live somewhere where everyone is wealthy so that I can pretend that our country doesn't leave mentally ill veterans on the street to die in their own filth! Uh, wait, I mean, fuck bums!

motiontodismiss

Silver

Post by motiontodismiss » Mon May 03, 2010 4:40 am

bilbobaggins wrote:
I live in Berkeley. Not liking "bums" does make you [strike]ignorant.[/strike] human.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

ughOSU

Bronze

Post by ughOSU » Mon May 03, 2010 8:48 am

SoftBoiledLife wrote:
bilbobaggins wrote:
I want to live somewhere where everyone is wealthy so that I can pretend that our country doesn't leave mentally ill veterans on the street to die in their own filth! Uh, wait, I mean, fuck bums!
Wow a little artistic license with that one? Sorry that I don't like watching people take shits.

Tangerine Gleam

Silver

Post by Tangerine Gleam » Mon May 03, 2010 11:23 am

Having lived in both cities, I can say -- without a shadow of a doubt -- that Philly is much, much more dangerous. Berkeley bums amount to nothing. While I was living very close to Penn campus, two of my six housemates were mugged, my friend had a brick thrown at him while he was riding his bike, and my car was broken into twice in two days.

Don't get me wrong, I really love Philadelphia, but I'm LOLing at people who are over-blowing the Berkeley "Bum" Factor. Everyone is entitled to their own opinions and preferences, but anyone who is *that* bothered by homeless people wouldn't likely be stoked on three years in Philadelphia either...i.e. take opinions with a grain of salt, OP.

Dignan

Silver

Post by Dignan » Mon May 03, 2010 12:28 pm

Tangerine Gleam wrote:Having lived in both cities, I can say -- without a shadow of a doubt -- that Philly is much, much more dangerous. Berkeley bums amount to nothing. While I was living very close to Penn campus, two of my six housemates were mugged, my friend had a brick thrown at him while he was riding his bike, and my car was broken into twice in two days.

Don't get me wrong, I really love Philadelphia, but I'm LOLing at people who are over-blowing the Berkeley "Bum" Factor. Everyone is entitled to their own opinions and preferences, but anyone who is *that* bothered by homeless people wouldn't likely be stoked on three years in Philadelphia either...i.e. take opinions with a grain of salt, OP.
+1. This thread is hilarious. Many of the people posting here should probably limit their T14 options to Stanford, Michigan, Virginia, Northwestern, Duke, and Cornell.

worldtraveler

Platinum

Post by worldtraveler » Mon May 03, 2010 5:49 pm

fortissimo wrote:
bilbobaggins wrote:Anyone who says "homeless people are constantly in your face" can only mean this if seeing a homeless person constitutes having them "in your face."
Constantly in your face means they constantly ask for money, food, cigarettes, and sometimes make highly inappropriate sexual remarks about how you look/what they want to do to you.
If encountering a bum on the street who begs for a $1 and makes a stupid remark is so hard on your existence that you feel the need to bitch about it, then I really, really envy your easy existence. Just how much time do you spend wandering around the streets of Berkeley for this to be such a hindrance to enjoying your own life?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”