NU vs GW ($$$$) Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

NU or GW ($$$$)

NU
63%
GW ($$$$)
37%

Total votes: 41

K's Logic

New

NU vs GW ($$$$)

Post by K's Logic » Thu Apr 22, 2010 11:42 pm

Okay, so I am ready to put my deposit down at Northwestern (sticker) but I'd appreciate some opinions before I do. The GW offer is 90k + housing + 15k need-based (for the 1st year)

Criteria:

- would like biglaw, preferably in NYC
- would like to at some point return to East/Southeast Asia
- nonetheless, I am also interested in government and public interest work
- would like a portable JD, as I'd like the option to return to the Pacific Northwest/Cali
- location is a moot point; interested in both cities as places to live while in law school (and perhaps for my career)
- obviously would not like a lot of debt, but I'm willing to take a higher quality school over having less debt

As I said, I am about to deposit at NU, so convince me otherwise! :)

GermX

Silver

Re: NU vs GW ($$$$)

Post by GermX » Thu Apr 22, 2010 11:48 pm

You know, NU offers more opportunities IMO than GW ever will, but that scholarship means you won't be in debt. So its a toughie.

thedogship

Bronze

Post by thedogship » Thu Apr 22, 2010 11:53 pm

GermX wrote:You know, NU offers more opportunities IMO than GW ever will, but that scholarship means you won't be in debt. So its a toughie.
Way to help there.

With that money, GW is the way to go. But are there strings attached? Is all that money contingent on a certain GPA?

GermX

Silver

Post by GermX » Thu Apr 22, 2010 11:58 pm

Well, he should consider that NU places the best in the nation when it comes to Big Law. Maybe the debt is worth it?

K's Logic

New

Post by K's Logic » Fri Apr 23, 2010 12:14 am

thedogship wrote:
GermX wrote:You know, NU offers more opportunities IMO than GW ever will, but that scholarship means you won't be in debt. So its a toughie.
Way to help there.

With that money, GW is the way to go. But are there strings attached? Is all that money contingent on a certain GPA?
Yes, you have to maintain a 3.0. From what I gather, median is about a 3.2 at GW.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

lt0826

Bronze

Post by lt0826 » Fri Apr 23, 2010 12:17 am

I think it is a tough decision with the GPA stipulation. Have you visited both schools? I haven't been to GW but I assume they have different personalities. I have no idea which would have more prestige in Asia.

K's Logic

New

Post by K's Logic » Fri Apr 23, 2010 12:23 am

lt0826 wrote:I think it is a tough decision with the GPA stipulation. Have you visited both schools? I haven't been to GW but I assume they have different personalities. I have no idea which would have more prestige in Asia.
Unfortunately, I couldn't visit either school. I get the vibe that I would fit much better at NU though. I am in that 27-32 age range, and nothing against you young whippersnappers, but I think a school with older students would be a better fit for me.

showNprove

Silver

Post by showNprove » Fri Apr 23, 2010 12:26 am

K's Logic wrote:
thedogship wrote:
Way to help there.

Yes, you have to maintain a 3.0. From what I gather, median is about a 3.2 at GW.
Dealbreaker. Go to NU

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Fri Apr 23, 2010 12:29 am

For big law NU wins

For government and PI NU still wins because IBR will make debt almost meaningless.

Unless you wanna go to asia soon, I'd do NU.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Thomas Jefferson

Bronze

Post by Thomas Jefferson » Fri Apr 23, 2010 12:29 am

In my oh-so-well-informed 0L opinion, GPA stipulation at GW means go to Northwestern without a doubt

LavAzza2004

New

Post by LavAzza2004 » Fri Apr 23, 2010 12:30 am

I'm facing the exact same decision as you, same $$ from GW and all. I'm also debating mostly the same points as you (with the exception of Asia!). I'll be 30 in the summer and am drawn to the slightly older student body at NU as well as it's reputation/ranking...but I'd also love D.C. and the $$.

I visited both schools and could see myself at either location.

I've been slightly leaning towards GW given that with my personal savings I could come out close to debt free. While I want to open doors for myself, I'm a little concerned that NU could force me into a big law position I might rather avoid just to pay down the debt. And I'm not too keen on counting on the PI programs...I'm not going to law school only to cut my salary in half when I'm done. That said, it's hard to give up on the thought of NU. :(

I'm interested to hear where you land!

BTW, I emailed GW about the GPA stipulation and was told that 2/3 of 1Ls make at least a 3.0 and even more 2Ls/3Ls maintain at least that. Not a sure thing, but slightly reassuring.
Last edited by LavAzza2004 on Fri Apr 23, 2010 12:33 am, edited 1 time in total.

tallboone

Bronze

Post by tallboone » Fri Apr 23, 2010 12:33 am

Even with that scholarship, you are still looking at $80-90k in loans with GW for cost of living and the extra $15k per year of tuition. NU's LRAP is better and if you want to do public interest, you would be paying the same per month with Federal IBR/Loan Forgiveness on $80k in loans as $180k in loans. So I say go with NU.

GermX

Silver

Post by GermX » Fri Apr 23, 2010 12:39 am

Well I mean considering this guy got into NU and is getting such a great scholarship, is there any indication that he wouldn't be able to maintain a 3.0 gpa?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

im_blue

Gold

Post by im_blue » Fri Apr 23, 2010 12:40 am

would like biglaw, preferably in NYC
- NU

would like to at some point return to East/Southeast Asia
- NU

nonetheless, I am also interested in government and public interest work
- NU, since IBR will pay off the loans

would like a portable JD, as I'd like the option to return to the Pacific Northwest/Cali
- NU

location is a moot point; interested in both cities as places to live while in law school (and perhaps for my career)
- NU can take you to Chicago, DC, Cali, or the PNW

obviously would not like a lot of debt, but I'm willing to take a higher quality school over having less debt
- NU

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Fri Apr 23, 2010 12:53 am

LavAzza2004 wrote:I'm facing the exact same decision as you, same $$ from GW and all. I'm also debating mostly the same points as you (with the exception of Asia!). I'll be 30 in the summer and am drawn to the slightly older student body at NU as well as it's reputation/ranking...but I'd also love D.C. and the $$.

I visited both schools and could see myself at either location.

I've been slightly leaning towards GW given that with my personal savings I could come out close to debt free. While I want to open doors for myself, I'm a little concerned that NU could force me into a big law position I might rather avoid just to pay down the debt. And I'm not too keen on counting on the PI programs...I'm not going to law school only to cut my salary in half when I'm done. That said, it's hard to give up on the thought of NU. :(

I'm interested to hear where you land!

BTW, I emailed GW about the GPA stipulation and was told that 2/3 of 1Ls make at least a 3.0 and even more 2Ls/3Ls maintain at least that. Not a sure thing, but slightly reassuring.
You don't want PI, you don't want big law, but you don't want a small salary. What exactly are you expecting to do?

LavAzza2004

New

Post by LavAzza2004 » Fri Apr 23, 2010 10:14 am

You don't want PI, you don't want big law, but you don't want a small salary. What exactly are you expecting to do

I might want big law, but I don't want to feel forced into it due to debt. Perhaps a mid-size firm, heading in-house somewhere after a while, or working in a non-legal job. I'm viewing law school as a time to explore and experience things as much as anything else. Who knows where I'll end up at this point? Limiting my debt allows me to pick what I want.

I've spoken with recent grads at big firms, senior leaders of in-house divisions, and executives at Fortune 500 companies. Unless we're talking Harvard or Yale, the consensus has been it's a toss-up between NU and GW w/ $$$...and most don't think that NU is worth the extra debt.

Z3RO

Silver

Post by Z3RO » Fri Apr 23, 2010 10:21 am

LavAzza2004 wrote:You don't want PI, you don't want big law, but you don't want a small salary. What exactly are you expecting to do

I might want big law, but I don't want to feel forced into it due to debt. Perhaps a mid-size firm, heading in-house somewhere after a while, or working in a non-legal job. I'm viewing law school as a time to explore and experience things as much as anything else. Who knows where I'll end up at this point? Limiting my debt allows me to pick what I want.
Then either don't go to law school or go with the money. If you don't know why you're there, you probably shouldn't gamble. Keep your head above median.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

imisscollege

Bronze

Post by imisscollege » Fri Apr 23, 2010 10:22 am

I visited GW recently and it's all kids my age (right out of college) and everything I have heard about NU is that the social scene/age range is more your cup of tea. On this t14/t30 or die prestige whoring (for the most part) website, often people forget that fit is really important for success.

GermX

Silver

Post by GermX » Fri Apr 23, 2010 12:30 pm

But still, this guy will be in debt coming out of NU. Coming out of GWU it will be substantially less. Ah well. Honestly, I would go to NU.

zanyventer

New

Post by zanyventer » Fri Apr 23, 2010 12:35 pm

GW is excellent for asia

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Fri Apr 23, 2010 12:40 pm

Well if he has no idea what he wants to do, he should go cheap. Gun your ass off though, if you want big law after 1L you are going to need the grades.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

d34d9823

Gold

Post by d34d9823 » Fri Apr 23, 2010 12:44 pm

showNprove wrote:
K's Logic wrote:
thedogship wrote:
Way to help there.

Dealbreaker. Go to NU
TITCR

K's Logic

New

Post by K's Logic » Fri Apr 23, 2010 8:13 pm

Deposited at NU :D

As good as a deal GW would be, I had to pass...hopefully that $$$$ will be given to someone else.

Thanks for everyone's input!

thedogship

Bronze

Post by thedogship » Sat Apr 24, 2010 7:26 pm

Just FYI, 3.0 at GW is really not difficult. I know nothing is a guarantee, but 3.0 is pretty generous for that kind of cash. Usually schools require top 40% or something. 3.0 is like top 60-70%. Shouldn't be that difficult.

Interminable_Waiting

Bronze

Post by Interminable_Waiting » Sat Apr 24, 2010 8:22 pm

Desert Fox wrote:For big law NU wins

For government and PI NU still wins because IBR will make debt almost meaningless.

Unless you wanna go to asia soon, I'd do NU.
+1

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”