Breaking your lease when you get off the waitlist Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
itsmytime10

Bronze

Breaking your lease when you get off the waitlist

Post by itsmytime10 » Thu Apr 22, 2010 12:06 pm

Is anyone signing a lease at this point when you are not a 100% sure if you will even end up in that school.
Assuming you get off the wait-list at another school, what do you plan on doing?

futurelawyer413

Bronze

Re: Breaking your lease when you get off the waitlist

Post by futurelawyer413 » Thu Apr 22, 2010 12:09 pm

i havent signed a lease yet. i'm still waiting to hear back from some other schools, so i see no point in getting a lease down until i hear back from those schools. at this point, i dont really care about money, i just want a decision from them damnit! its already 4th week of april! lol

i'll look for housing after i hear back from basically everybody, im not sure where to draw the line here, but this wait time is ridic.

itsmytime10

Bronze

Post by itsmytime10 » Thu Apr 22, 2010 12:12 pm

futurelawyer413 wrote:i havent signed a lease yet. i'm still waiting to hear back from some other schools, so i see no point in getting a lease down until i hear back from those schools. at this point, i dont really care about money, i just want a decision from them damnit! its already 4th week of april! lol

i'll look for housing after i hear back from basically everybody, im not sure where to draw the line here, but this wait time is ridic.
mm the problem is that the apartment i really want seems to be going really fast so i am in a situation where i need to sign the lease and break it if i get off the wait-list at my top choice.

FuManChusco

Silver

Post by FuManChusco » Thu Apr 22, 2010 12:55 pm

that's a terrible idea. it's a binding contract. you will have to pay a penalty if the landlord loses any money at all due to your decision.
Last edited by FuManChusco on Thu Apr 22, 2010 7:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Z3RO

Silver

Post by Z3RO » Thu Apr 22, 2010 12:58 pm

I dunno about you guys, but I spoke to my landlord about this, and we had a verbal agreement that if I have to move to go to law school over the summer, there wouldn't be any problem. That's good enough for me.

I would find out very quickly what the penalty is to get out of your lease before signing anything if you're seriously considering jumping ship to get in off of the waitlist. I don't know how you would have enough money laying around to pay a month's rent on one apartment while moving from another (ostensibly paying a month's rent there), then pay a penalty on a lease, then pay to move your stuff to another city, and pay a month's rent on the new apartment.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

itsmytime10

Bronze

Post by itsmytime10 » Thu Apr 22, 2010 12:59 pm

FuManChusco wrote:there's no such thing as breaking a lease. that's a terrible idea. it's a binding contract. you will have to pay a penalty if the landlord loses any money at all due to your decision. you seriously going to law school?
Another 20 year old kid who thinks he is actually smart.

jks289

Silver

Post by jks289 » Thu Apr 22, 2010 1:03 pm

Of course there is "such a thing" as breaking a lease. If the apartments you want are as desirable as you say, you will probably have no trouble subletting or getting someone to take over your lease. Just talk to the landlord before signing anything. As long as you or the landlord finds someone to fill the spot, there are no actual damages to be paid.

existenz

Silver

Post by existenz » Thu Apr 22, 2010 1:05 pm

itsmytime10 wrote:
FuManChusco wrote:there's no such thing as breaking a lease. that's a terrible idea. it's a binding contract. you will have to pay a penalty if the landlord loses any money at all due to your decision. you seriously going to law school?
+1 Leases are broken all the time. What happens is that you will probably pay a month or two worth of rent penalty and/or lose your deposit. The landlord will have no interest in taking you to court, he'll just find a new renter.

Bert

Bronze

Post by Bert » Thu Apr 22, 2010 1:06 pm

Z3RO wrote:I dunno about you guys, but I spoke to my landlord about this, and we had a verbal agreement that if I have to move to go to law school over the summer, there wouldn't be any problem.
I would still try to get something in writing (even an email) -- a verbal agreement wouldn't cut it with me especially if a agreement exists (signed by me) where I agree to pay rent until some date certain.

Z3RO

Silver

Post by Z3RO » Thu Apr 22, 2010 1:06 pm

existenz wrote:
itsmytime10 wrote:
+1 Leases are broken all the time. What happens is that you will probably pay a month or two worth of rent penalty and/or lose your deposit. The landlord will have no interest in taking you to court, he'll just find a new renter.
This exactly. It's totally normal to do something like this; I just don't see how a person would have the money to do it while moving twice and living on saved $$.
Bert wrote:
Z3RO wrote:I dunno about you guys, but I spoke to my landlord about this, and we had a verbal agreement that if I have to move to go to law school over the summer, there wouldn't be any problem.
I would still try to get something in writing (even an email) -- a verbal agreement wouldn't cut it with me especially if a agreement exists (signed by me) where I agree to pay rent until some date certain.
You're probably right, but I trust this guy. He's been nothing but decent and honest the whole time that I've dealt with him this past year.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Choosing a Law School”