South Texas College of Law Vs. waitlists Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
Stryka

New

South Texas College of Law Vs. waitlists

Post by Stryka » Wed Apr 21, 2010 10:30 am

Recently got in South Texas College of Law in Houston. I only have 9 days to decide on putting a deposit down of $300. I'm from Dallas and want to practice in Dallas, but I'm still waiting on SMU. I got waitlisted at Texas Wesleyan where I thought I was for sure at. Uncle went, my #'s are good for it. I will send a LOCI and have my uncle speak to them as he knows the dean etc...I was also waitlisted at Tennessee which apparently is overfilled, Kansas, which will activate the list on early May, and Hofstra which moved up in the rankings by 14 spots...I'm also waiting on Texas Tech, Western State University in Orange County, and University of Houston. I heard South Texas isn't too bad of a school. Could anyone help me out with some advice? Thanks in advance!!!

Gatriel

Gold

Re: South Texas College of Law Vs. waitlists

Post by Gatriel » Wed Apr 21, 2010 10:38 am

Stryka wrote:Recently got in South Texas College of Law in Houston. I only have 9 days to decide on putting a deposit down of $300. I'm from Dallas and want to practice in Dallas, but I'm still waiting on SMU. I got waitlisted at Texas Wesleyan where I thought I was for sure at. Uncle went, my #'s are good for it. I will send a LOCI and have my uncle speak to them as he knows the dean etc...I was also waitlisted at Tennessee which apparently is overfilled, Kansas, which will activate the list on early May, and Hofstra which moved up in the rankings by 14 spots...I'm also waiting on Texas Tech, Western State University in Orange County, and University of Houston. I heard South Texas isn't too bad of a school. Could anyone help me out with some advice? Thanks in advance!!!
Put money in on South Texas. Continue to wait on TTU.

Don't hold your breath on UH.

Edit: In the grand scheme of things, $300 is so very immaterial.
Last edited by Gatriel on Wed Apr 21, 2010 10:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

OasisFan

Bronze

Post by OasisFan » Wed Apr 21, 2010 10:47 am

SMU takes a long time to get back to students. I don't know much about TWU or STCL, but I have heard that STCL isn't a bad place to go if you want to work in Houston. Do they have any sort of partial (or full) refund option should you get off of a waitlist and decide to go somewhere else? I know some schools do that sort of thing...

Case2L

Bronze

Post by Case2L » Wed Apr 21, 2010 11:53 am

The problem with South Texas is that it's at the bottom in a major legal market. Do you really want to compete with UT, SMU, UH, Baylor, Tulane, and T14 grads who want to come to Texas? Probably should ride out wl and if no one bites, retake LSAT and try again next cycle. Does SMU or UH admit during spring semester? If so, try this spring; spring admissions are typically less competitive. Also, consider applying to UH part time.

Stryka

New

Post by Stryka » Wed Apr 21, 2010 12:01 pm

Case2L wrote:The problem with South Texas is that it's at the bottom in a major legal market. Do you really want to compete with UT, SMU, UH, Baylor, Tulane, and T14 grads who want to come to Texas? Probably should ride out wl and if no one bites, retake LSAT and try again next cycle. Does SMU or UH admit during spring semester? If so, try this spring; spring admissions are typically less competitive. Also, consider applying to UH part time.
That's kind of discouraging lol, but it's completely true. I will most likely pay the deposit...wait out the list for a while..I took this year off already so I prob wont take another year off...I most likely want to practice in Texas, mainly Dallas...so would it be pretty bad if I went to South or Wesleyan? I have connections...plus my uncle is part of an well established law firm in dallas, hes an alumni from Wesleyan and said he has a job lined up for me if I wanted...90k +

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

nealric

Post by nealric » Wed Apr 21, 2010 12:02 pm

Just posting to add that you should scratch Hofstra off your list. No point in going to school in Long Island if you want to practice in Dallas.

Stryka

New

Post by Stryka » Wed Apr 21, 2010 12:09 pm

nealric wrote:Just posting to add that you should scratch Hofstra off your list. No point in going to school in Long Island if you want to practice in Dallas.
Oh, I will definitely consider staying up in NY.

Stringer Bell

Gold

Post by Stringer Bell » Wed Apr 21, 2010 12:13 pm

Stryka wrote:
Case2L wrote:The problem with South Texas is that it's at the bottom in a major legal market. Do you really want to compete with UT, SMU, UH, Baylor, Tulane, and T14 grads who want to come to Texas? Probably should ride out wl and if no one bites, retake LSAT and try again next cycle. Does SMU or UH admit during spring semester? If so, try this spring; spring admissions are typically less competitive. Also, consider applying to UH part time.
That's kind of discouraging lol, but it's completely true. I will most likely pay the deposit...wait out the list for a while..I took this year off already so I prob wont take another year off...I most likely want to practice in Texas, mainly Dallas...so would it be pretty bad if I went to South or Wesleyan? I have connections...plus my uncle is part of an well established law firm in dallas, hes an alumni from Wesleyan and said he has a job lined up for me if I wanted...90k +
Quick thoughts: STCL is a better value than your typical 4th tier school but is still risky, especially ITE. It's definitely better than Wesleyan in terms of employment opportunities, but under a normal strategy of finding employment it will not carry much in Dallas.

That said, STCL or TX Wesleyan + really strong connections > UH, TTU, Tennessee or SMU without them. If you feel confident with your uncle's offer, I'd go ahead and plop down the 300 bucks.

Case2L

Bronze

Post by Case2L » Wed Apr 21, 2010 12:37 pm

I
Stryka wrote:
Hell, that changes everything. If you have a job lined up, go to the cheapest school, study hard, kick some butt, and take the guaranteed job. Even if it's not the type of law you want to practice long term, it's a start and you can pay down your debt, get quality experience, then pursue your dream job later.

Stryka

New

Post by Stryka » Wed Apr 21, 2010 12:47 pm

Thanks for the advice Case, as well to everyone that said anything!!!!

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Choosing a Law School”