Which school is best for NYC BigLaw? Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

Which of the following schools is best for NYC BigLaw?

WUSTL
7%
GW
28%
Illinois
1%
BU
34%
Emory
12%
Minnesota
1%
Notre Dame
11%
Iowa
1%
Indiana
1%
BC
4%

Total votes: 135

GermX

Silver

Re: Best school in USNWR 20s for NYC BigLaw?

Post by GermX » Tue Apr 20, 2010 4:09 pm

The OP asked a question, you answer it. Maybe he thinks Fordham is not for him. Perhaps he didn't get accepted there. Perhaps he likes those schools, but wants to be in NYC too, so he's asking which one AMONG those schools would be best.

Answer his question instead of randomly blurting out "FORDHAM FORDHAM WINZZ".

ArtVandelay

Bronze

Post by ArtVandelay » Tue Apr 20, 2010 4:11 pm

Okay, did not expect the thread to go like this.

To clarify: 1) I KNOW Fordham places better, but I'm not going there because I'm not set on NYC. 2) I know making it the 20s is arbitrary but I had to cut it off somewhere. 3) I'm not using NYC placement as my sole deciding factor, I was just hoping to get some help on which of THESE school does best to HELP me make a decision.

booboo

Silver

Post by booboo » Tue Apr 20, 2010 4:14 pm

Possible - WUSTL
Possible - GW
Unlikely - Illinois
Possible - BU
Unlikely - Emory
No? - Minnesota
Unlikely - Notre Dame
No? - Iowa
No? - Indiana
Possible - BC

Probably WUSTL>BU/BC>GW.

Leeroy Jenkins

Silver

Post by Leeroy Jenkins » Tue Apr 20, 2010 4:16 pm

booboo wrote:Possible - WUSTL
Possible - GW
Unlikely - Illinois
Possible - BU
Unlikely - Emory
No? - Minnesota
Unlikely - Notre Dame
No? - Iowa
No? - Indiana
Possible - BC

Probably WUSTL>BU/BC>GW.
I think BU/BC>WashU/GW/ND

booboo

Silver

Post by booboo » Tue Apr 20, 2010 4:16 pm

Leeroy Jenkins wrote:
Possible - GW
Unlikely - Illinois
Possible - BU
Unlikely - Emory
No? - Minnesota
Unlikely - Notre Dame
No? - Iowa
No? - Indiana
Possible - BC

Probably WUSTL>BU/BC>GW.
Listen to this poster.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

ArtVandelay

Bronze

Post by ArtVandelay » Tue Apr 20, 2010 4:20 pm

Leeroy Jenkins wrote:
Possible - GW
Unlikely - Illinois
Possible - BU
Unlikely - Emory
No? - Minnesota
Unlikely - Notre Dame
No? - Iowa
No? - Indiana
Possible - BC

Probably WUSTL>BU/BC>GW.

That's basically what I was thinking:

BU/BC
Notre Dame/WUSTL/GW
Iowa/Indiana/Minnesota/Illinois/Emory

NayBoer

Silver

Post by NayBoer » Tue Apr 20, 2010 4:22 pm

Per NALP, it's BU > BC > GW > WUSTL. BU is only 20% and WUSTL is like 14.6%. So it's not a world of difference.

I voted WUSTL out of trollish spite. Fordham is still better than all. And I am not a Fordham troll.

Edit - Actually, I was wrong. Emory > BU. It's 22.9%.

For anyone who cares, it's:
ND - 11%
UIUC - 8%
Iowa - 7.1%
Minn - 5%
IUB - 4.1%

All pretty close; none very high.
Last edited by NayBoer on Tue Apr 20, 2010 4:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Leeroy Jenkins

Silver

Post by Leeroy Jenkins » Tue Apr 20, 2010 4:25 pm

NayBoer wrote:Per NALP, it's BU > BC > GW > WUSTL. BU is only 20% and WUSTL is like 14.6%. So it's not a world of difference.
where did you get those figures?

NayBoer

Silver

Post by NayBoer » Tue Apr 20, 2010 4:26 pm

Leeroy Jenkins wrote:
NayBoer wrote:Per NALP, it's BU > BC > GW > WUSTL. BU is only 20% and WUSTL is like 14.6%. So it's not a world of difference.
where did you get those figures?
NALP

Pick a school, scroll down to areas of practice. It only breaks down by region, not city or state.

Edit - meant to post link
http://www.nalplawschoolsonline.org/ndl ... _quick.asp
Last edited by NayBoer on Tue Apr 20, 2010 4:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Always Credited

Gold

Post by Always Credited » Tue Apr 20, 2010 4:27 pm

DerrickRose wrote:
D-hops wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:
ArtVandelay wrote:What is the best school in USNWR 20s for NYC BigLaw?
Fordham

OperaSoprano

Gold

Post by OperaSoprano » Tue Apr 20, 2010 4:37 pm

What is it with these threads? Anyone who wants to tell trolling from actual fact need only visit Martindale, the NALP website, and individual school CSO statistics on school websites. The latter usually will include the percentage reporting, for a true sense of whether the numbers represent the whole class. Trolling really isn't necessary when numbers and statistics are available. If the OP is actually in earnest, these are excellent places to look.

TITCR is Fordham, then probably BU. Someone can run the numbers to confirm. I hope you guys realize that the usefulness of rankings breaks down after the T17 or so, and the next thing to do is to go for the best regional school in the city where you want to work.

NayBoer

Silver

Post by NayBoer » Tue Apr 20, 2010 4:59 pm

OperaSoprano wrote:What is it with these threads? Anyone who wants to tell trolling from actual fact need only visit Martindale, the NALP website, and individual school CSO statistics on school websites. The latter usually will include the percentage reporting, for a true sense of whether the numbers represent the whole class. Trolling really isn't necessary when numbers and statistics are available. If the OP is actually in earnest, these are excellent places to look.

TITCR is Fordham, then probably BU. Someone can run the numbers to confirm. I hope you guys realize that the usefulness of rankings breaks down after the T17 or so, and the next thing to do is to go for the best regional school in the city where you want to work.
Fordham places 89% into the Middle Atlantic. It placed 29.4% into NLJ250, roughly comparable to and slightly behind BU and BC (both 34.6%) and GW (31.6%).

Given the clear geographic advantage of Fordham, and NLJ numbers broadly equivalent to its competitors ITT, it's obviously the better choice for NYC.

Always Credited

Gold

Post by Always Credited » Tue Apr 20, 2010 5:01 pm

NayBoer wrote:
OperaSoprano wrote:What is it with these threads? Anyone who wants to tell trolling from actual fact need only visit Martindale, the NALP website, and individual school CSO statistics on school websites. The latter usually will include the percentage reporting, for a true sense of whether the numbers represent the whole class. Trolling really isn't necessary when numbers and statistics are available. If the OP is actually in earnest, these are excellent places to look.

Fordham places 89% into the Middle Atlantic. It placed 29.4% into NLJ250, roughly comparable to and slightly behind BU and BC (both 34.6%) and GW (31.6%).

Given the clear geographic advantage of Fordham, and NLJ numbers broadly equivalent to its competitors ITT, it's obviously the better choice for NYC.
But all sound reasoning and collective data aside, USNWR says it isn't as good as BU/BC/GWU, and so it CAN'T POSSIBLY be better than any of those schools, at anything, anywhere!!

Amiright?? Right???

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

NayBoer

Silver

Post by NayBoer » Tue Apr 20, 2010 5:04 pm

Always Credited wrote:
NayBoer wrote:

But all sound reasoning and collective data aside, USNWR says it isn't as good as BU/BC/GWU, and so it CAN'T POSSIBLY be better than any of those schools, at anything, anywhere!!

Amiright?? Right???
Magazines that try to create one-size-fits-all solutions are always better than informed research.

You should also fire your marriage counselor and replace her with relationship quizzes from Cosmo.

84Sunbird2000

Silver

Post by 84Sunbird2000 » Tue Apr 20, 2010 5:09 pm

I voted Emory, because it is by far their second biggest market. Really, it's their only other market besides Atlanta.

BTW, how do you use Martindale to search for alumni?

OperaSoprano

Gold

Post by OperaSoprano » Tue Apr 20, 2010 5:20 pm

NayBoer wrote:
Always Credited wrote:
NayBoer wrote:

Amiright?? Right???
Magazines that try to create one-size-fits-all solutions are always better than informed research.

You should also fire your marriage counselor and replace her with relationship quizzes from Cosmo.
I lol'd.

It should also be noted that we have confirmation of underreporting by the NLJ250 survey (not only of Fordham grads). Unfortunately, they did not publish their response rate. Still, it's the only data of this kind not compiled by the schools themselves. Also note that BU and Fordham tend to switch back and forth in their placement on this survey. Fordham placed ahead of BU in (I believe, and someone should check) 2008 and 2006.

GermX

Silver

Post by GermX » Tue Apr 20, 2010 5:32 pm

OS, I know you're a Fordham student, but don't you think your praise for Fordham in every single thread--even one that where the OP has specifically mentioned he doesn't want Fordham--is getting pretty obsessive (creepy, almost)?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

OneKnight

Bronze

Post by OneKnight » Tue Apr 20, 2010 5:39 pm

GermX wrote:OS, I know you're a Fordham student, but don't you think your praise for Fordham in every single thread--even one that where the OP has specifically mentioned he doesn't want Fordham--is getting pretty obsessive (creepy, almost)?
I put this question to you, GermX: Don't you think your denigration of Fordham and praise for GW in every single thread is getting pretty obsessive?

(At one point, your "I chose GW over Fordham" thread was at the top next to this one)

Chill out, Germx. GW is a fabulous school, but it will never be the correct choice for those only interested in New York City Biglaw.

GermX

Silver

Post by GermX » Tue Apr 20, 2010 5:50 pm

One thread is an indication of being over obsessive? Come on guys. Show me one thread Opera posts in that isn't some kind of overly optimistic praise for Fordham. I'm just saying, why would there be a need to keep doing that if Fordham could speak for itself. I'm not saying Fordham is a bad school. Just saying, every single thread, even one that specifically says NO to Fordham, nevertheless gets the same pro-Fordham folks trolling in it.

Informative

Bronze

Post by Informative » Tue Apr 20, 2010 5:54 pm

1) Fordham
2) BC
3) BU
4 ) GW
5) any midwest/west coast school

Z3RO

Silver

Post by Z3RO » Tue Apr 20, 2010 5:57 pm

1) Fordham
2) Fordham
3) Fordham
4) Fordham

etc..

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Always Credited

Gold

Post by Always Credited » Tue Apr 20, 2010 5:59 pm

I'm attending GWU in the Fall, and I can still objectively say that Fordham is miles ahead of GWU in terms of NYC biglaw opportunity. I could argue that Fordham is better for biglaw in NYC than GWU is for biglaw in D.C., for a variety of reasons.

To head off the inevitable germx reply of "LOL THEN WHY'D U PIK IT?! LIAAR!" I made my choice for GWU because biglaw doesn't interest me.

Leeroy Jenkins

Silver

Post by Leeroy Jenkins » Tue Apr 20, 2010 5:59 pm

GermX wrote:One thread is an indication of being over obsessive? Come on guys. Show me one thread Opera posts in that isn't some kind of overly optimistic praise for Fordham. I'm just saying, why would there be a need to keep doing that if Fordham could speak for itself. I'm not saying Fordham is a bad school. Just saying, every single thread, even one that specifically says NO to Fordham, nevertheless gets the same pro-Fordham folks trolling in it.
I think it's more obsessive that you're so concerned about her supposed obsessiveness. You MAKE threads about Fordham which, I wouldn't go above saying, exist solely for the purpose of drawing OS in, and then butt your head in in every Fordham thread not made by you to talk about OS' love for Fordham.

GermX

Silver

Post by GermX » Tue Apr 20, 2010 6:05 pm

OH REALLY? I MAKE threads? Show me the "threads". Notice the plural. Show me anything other than my thread about GW Law that would show some sort of anti-Fordham bias.

Stringer Bell

Gold

Post by Stringer Bell » Tue Apr 20, 2010 6:06 pm

The flaw in OP's question is exhibited with the following hyperbole

Which school places best for Phoenix biglaw?

A.) UGA
B.) North Carolina
C.) SMU

This question would be stupid because if you want Phoenix and these are your options, why would you not just go to ASU or Arizona?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”