Giving up this cycle. Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
lostjake

Bronze

Re: Giving up this cycle.

Post by lostjake » Sat Apr 17, 2010 4:42 pm

coulduhelpplz wrote:I guess I wasn't really intending to defend why I was doubting myself, but to see if others did the same.

You know though, this is top-law-schools.com. I felt like an ass talking about this with my friends (who are going to great T2 schools), but I didn't think I'd get the same reception on this site. Aren't we striving for the best? The very, very fucking best? Just a side note.
After reading your last couple of posts you do come off as an ass. HTH

coulduhelpplz

New

Post by coulduhelpplz » Sat Apr 17, 2010 4:55 pm

clintonius wrote:
coulduhelpplz wrote:Aren't we striving for the best? The very, very fucking best?
coulduhelpplz wrote:I don't want or need HYSCC
Apparently not.
I mean that I didn't think people were gonna come down on me for worrying about 45k in the t14 as being a small accomplishment. The "we" is a communal "we."
clintonius wrote:Look, you're confused, which I can appreciate. Just this week I shit myself over the amount of debt I'll be taking on if I decide to attend NYU. It's intimidating as all hell, and I don't think anybody is questioning your hesitation over shelling out that amount of money. It's just that you have received a fantastic offer and are likely to shoot yourself in the foot if you decide it isn't good enough.
clintonius wrote: I'm confused as to what more you want from this forum.
You saying exactly what you said (above the last quote) was exactly what I needed to hear. Sorry for using TLS like group therapy, but it does help.

coulduhelpplz

New

Post by coulduhelpplz » Sat Apr 17, 2010 4:56 pm

lostjake wrote:
coulduhelpplz wrote:I guess I wasn't really intending to defend why I was doubting myself, but to see if others did the same.

You know though, this is top-law-schools.com. I felt like an ass talking about this with my friends (who are going to great T2 schools), but I didn't think I'd get the same reception on this site. Aren't we striving for the best? The very, very fucking best? Just a side note.
After reading your last couple of posts you do come off as an ass. HTH
It doesn't really, but I'm OK with that. Push comes to shove, people defend themselves. Internet forum mentality, etc. etc.

How could I not come off as an ass complaining about 45k at UM? I sort of expected it.

kurla88

Bronze

Post by kurla88 » Sat Apr 17, 2010 8:23 pm

MidlawMyth wrote:
whuts4lunch wrote:
kurla88 wrote:Here's a thought though - deposit at Michigan, and retake the LSAT in June. If you do a lot better, withdraw and reapply to the t-14 next year. You probably won't get into Michigan again, but good shot at everywhere else.
This.
That would be incredibly stupid. Not only would Michigan certainly reject him, but everyone else that accepted him would too. He has a very high chance of wasting a year of his life AND having a worse outcome.
Um what? Does anyone have evidence that this has actually ever happened? We're not talking about backing out of a binding ED here. Depositing $500 to keep your seat is depositing $500 to keep your seat. You can always change your mind about doing law school a particular year, and Michigan has plenty of kids on the waitlist happy to take the seat.

r6_philly

Diamond

Post by r6_philly » Sat Apr 17, 2010 9:26 pm

kurla88 wrote:Um what? Does anyone have evidence that this has actually ever happened? We're not talking about backing out of a binding ED here. Depositing $500 to keep your seat is depositing $500 to keep your seat. You can always change your mind about doing law school a particular year, and Michigan has plenty of kids on the waitlist happy to take the seat.
From the UM website "Please be assured that your previous application does not place you at any disadvantage, whatever the outcome was."

From the dean herself "we won't hold it against you."

I do have great reasons why I might not attend this year so that's why I asked. I trust them to not hold it against me.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

ughOSU

Bronze

Post by ughOSU » Sat Apr 17, 2010 9:45 pm

OP, I think you're overreacting to the state of the economy. Contrary to what the news media hysteria would have you believe, this kind of financial panic is not unprecedented, and the US economy will bounce back. It's possible that if you wait a year you'll be in better shape, but it's also possible that you'll be in worse shape (employment-wise). There has been a void in biglaw hiring the last couple years, and if the economy bounces back quickly then class of 2013 could benefit greatly. Of course, this could also not be the case.

I also have no idea if you'll do better than 45k at Michigan, but that seems like a lot to give up, which is what you'll be doing if you re-apply to schools.

beesknees

Bronze

Post by beesknees » Sat Apr 17, 2010 10:15 pm

OP, you have such a great offer from a great school. Its not like Michigan will be closing tons of doors for you. Yes, the debt is scary. I know personally because I turned down Michigan, but that's because I didn't deem it personally worth it for me because I was facing Mich at sticker, but I would've taken them in a heartbeat with $45k.

You'll be graduating with about $145k in debt including COL. That's not that bad for a school like Michigan. They also have a decent LRAP if you're worried about your backup options, so you don't HAVE to land biglaw to survive. But you seem like you're more financially savvy than the average TLSer because you actually see that that is a lot of debt and will present problems repaying it on all but the most cushy salaries, so of course you're probably not as concerned with surviving as you are with having a career that won't make you a slave to debt.

But since you are very debt averse, do you have more money at close schools? More money at a lower T14 might suit you better if you just want to reduce your debt a little more. Good luck with your decision, I know I lost sleep over mine.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Choosing a Law School”