Should I reapply? Advice needed!! Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

Options

Reapply next year
17%
UIUC w/$$$
22%
Duke
52%
Vandy
9%

Total votes: 23

LS18

New

Should I reapply? Advice needed!!

Post by LS18 » Thu Apr 15, 2010 9:35 pm

Numbers:

3.58/173

Acceptances:

Duke
Vandy
UIUC w/$$$

WL's:

Columbia
Chicago
Michigan
Virginia
Penn

I left out a few safeties I was accepted to. I want to work in the Midwest. I think my cycle has been fairly poor, and I have the option of working for a year and then reapplying. I really like the $$ offered by UIUC, but am abit worried about placement in this economy.

Thoughts/advice? Thanks TLS.

im_blue

Gold

Re: Should I reapply? Advice needed!!

Post by im_blue » Thu Apr 15, 2010 9:59 pm

If you reapplied next year, what would you do differently that might change some of those WLs into acceptances? Also, Columbia and Chicago are the only schools that place significantly better than Duke, so I wouldn't reapply unless I had something to improve upon.

sanpiero

Silver

Post by sanpiero » Thu Apr 15, 2010 10:04 pm

Do you want BigLaw?

If you haven't already, send LOCIs reiterating why you're a good fit for the school. Schedule visits to meet with deans of admissions if you can. I'd do everything I could to get into either UM or Chicago.

Did you apply to NU?

LS18

New

Post by LS18 » Thu Apr 15, 2010 10:39 pm

sanpiero: I do want Biglaw, but I don't feel like it's "biglaw or bust".

Definitely agree about UM and Chicago--they would have been the best fits placement/location wise. I knew I was borderline for Chicago, but thought I had a decent shot at Michigan.

Did not apply to NU b/c no work experience.

im_blue: I would have another semester of GPA improvements (would probably be in the 3.64 area), as well as a year of work experience. I think the weakest part of my app was my PS, so I'm assuming/hoping I could write a better one if I reapplied. I also applied in December, so I was hoping applying first thing in September could help my chances for admission/scholarships.

Duke is certainly a fabulous option. My ideal goal was lower T14 w/some money. I'm fairly risk averse w/the debt.

sanpiero

Silver

Post by sanpiero » Thu Apr 15, 2010 11:20 pm

LOCIs, meetings with deans?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

LS18

New

Post by LS18 » Fri Apr 16, 2010 3:36 pm

sanpiero wrote:LOCIs, meetings with deans?
Yes to LOCI's, haven't met with any deans yet.

I mostly listed the WL's to give people an idea how my cycle went. I'm not banking on getting off any WL and am primarily focusing on my remaining options.

JollyGreenGiant

Silver

Post by JollyGreenGiant » Fri Apr 16, 2010 5:09 pm

It really depends what you are planning to do in your year off.

If something productive, it wouldn't hurt. If you really want the midwest and don't mind paying sticker, I'd ED at Mich or Chi.

Note: I'm a lowly 0L who doesn't know much.

joonhp

Bronze

Post by joonhp » Fri Apr 16, 2010 5:11 pm

when did you apply in the cycle? i think ED would have gotten you into one of your schools.

sanpiero

Silver

Post by sanpiero » Fri Apr 16, 2010 6:09 pm

If your scholarship to UIUC is a full ride, I'd seriously consider it. Since you want to work in the midwest and aren't big law or bust, I'd say UIUC w/full = Duke. It would come down to where you'd rather spend three years. That said, I would still do everything I could to get off the WL at Chicago or UM. It's still early in the cycle and deposit deadlines are approaching. According to LSN, non-URMs have been admitted to both with worse numbers than you. See if you can meet the the deans of admission. I think you have a decent shot at getting off one of the two WLs. If you don't, UIUC $$$ and Duke are great options.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

hubtubrub

New

Post by hubtubrub » Fri Apr 16, 2010 6:13 pm

um. wait a year with that 173. it's going to be worth it.

last year I turned down a couple of t2/t3s with a lot of scholly money (did not break into the t14). this year I got a shiny new 170+ lsat score and i'm going to a t14. Couldn't be happier with my decision.

LS18

New

Post by LS18 » Wed Apr 21, 2010 1:31 pm

Bumping this up one more time. Thanks for the advice from those who voted/left a reply. :D
hubtubrub wrote:um. wait a year with that 173. it's going to be worth it.

last year I turned down a couple of t2/t3s with a lot of scholly money (did not break into the t14). this year I got a shiny new 170+ lsat score and i'm going to a t14. Couldn't be happier with my decision.
Yeah, that's part of my reasoning to re-apply. I felt that my GPA/LSAT could get me low T14 w/money, but it just hasn't happened.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”