Brooklyn ($$$$) vs. W&M ($) Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

Which would you choose?

BLS ($$$$)
29%
WM ($)
71%

Total votes: 14

getmetolawschool

New

Brooklyn ($$$$) vs. W&M ($)

Post by getmetolawschool » Thu Apr 15, 2010 5:29 pm

So, here's my story:

I'm from NJ, living just outside NYC. Visited BLS and liked it and the surrounding area a lot. Then, visited W&M and LOVED it. I've been looking for a change in location, so that certainly helped. I ended up withdrawing from all schools last week and depositing at W&M, where I have a small scholarship. My cycle's done, right? Wrong! Yesterday, I got word that BLS would like me to reconsider my decision. They increased my scholarship (which was already generous) to what will most likely be full tuition (and if not, will be very close!), along with a guaranteed $5k per year housing stipend.

Again, I loved W&M and I still believe today that it offers better long-term prospects for employment ... but I am really struggling with the idea of giving up such an amazing offer. I have until May 1 to decide ... any thoughts / advice would be MUCH appreciated! :)

jayare

New

Re: Brooklyn ($$$$) vs. W&M ($)

Post by jayare » Thu Apr 15, 2010 5:38 pm

To be frank, I went to undergrad at NYU and had no idea there was a law school in Brooklyn until after I graduated. Everybody has heard of W&M. It's an ancient school. Brooklyn is highly regional, granted it's regional in a 160k/year market, but you will be locked into NYC after you graduate (not that it's necessarily a bad thing, but some to stay cognizant of).

But you'll have this degree your entire life. You'll die with this diploma. Do you really want a t2 degree on your office walls every day until then, knowing it could have been an amazing school like WM? Sure it's a lot of money, but do the math over the course of your professional career and it won't seem so bad. Think about local opportunities while in school; do you really want to compete for internships/clerkships with Columbia and NYU students? At least W&M can hold its own against the schools in its area.

jewtangclan03

New

Post by jewtangclan03 » Thu Apr 15, 2010 5:58 pm

Is your Brooklyn scholarship guaranteed? Are you fairly certain you want to practice in NY? If the answer to these questions are yes, you might want to revisit your decision.

I don't think the difference between W&M and BLS is as drastic as the previous poster would like you to think. And this is coming from someone who grew up 10 miles from the campus. I'm going to St. John's right now, and while it sucks competing with the top 14s and higher ranked schools for jobs, you'll be fine if you do make good grades and are involved in journals and other extracurriculars. Plus, it's not like W&M students aren't competing for jobs with other great schools, especially if you're looking for employment in a market other than Richmond or Norfolk.

One last thing: living in Brooklyn/Manhattan>>>>>Williamsburg.

getmetolawschool

New

Post by getmetolawschool » Thu Apr 15, 2010 6:00 pm

Is your Brooklyn scholarship guaranteed? Are you fairly certain you want to practice in NY?
No, it is not guaranteed -- I have to maintain top 40%. And no, I'm not sure where I want to end up, and don't necessarily love the idea of having no other option BUT New York.

jayare

New

Post by jayare » Thu Apr 15, 2010 6:01 pm

jewtangclan03 wrote:Is your Brooklyn scholarship guaranteed? Are you fairly certain you want to practice in NY? If the answer to these questions are yes, you might want to revisit your decision.

I don't think the difference between W&M and BLS is as drastic as the previous poster would like you to think. And this is coming from someone who grew up 10 miles from the campus. I'm going to St. John's right now, and while it sucks competing with the top 14s and higher ranked schools for jobs, you'll be fine if you do make good grades and are involved in journals and other extracurriculars. Plus, it's not like W&M students aren't competing for jobs with other great schools, especially if you're looking for employment in a market other than Richmond or Norfolk.

One last thing: living in Brooklyn/Manhattan>>>>>Williamsburg.
+10000000000000000000000000

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

getmetolawschool

New

Post by getmetolawschool » Thu Apr 15, 2010 6:04 pm

re: quality of life in NYC vs Williamsburg, obviously they are two drastically different places in terms of cost of living, social and cultural life, etc. I've lived in the NYC area my entire life, been working in the city for 5 years, and to be honest .. I'm kind of sick of it! The idea of going somewhere a bit more laid back is appealing to me. Could I get there and despise it? Absolutely. In fact, I'm almost sure that at some point in the 3 years I am going to have a "what the hell am I doing living in Virginia" type of moment. But I guess I won't know til / IF I get there!

keg411

Platinum

Post by keg411 » Thu Apr 15, 2010 6:06 pm

getmetolawschool wrote:
Is your Brooklyn scholarship guaranteed? Are you fairly certain you want to practice in NY?
No, it is not guaranteed -- I have to maintain top 40%. And no, I'm not sure where I want to end up, and don't necessarily love the idea of having no other option BUT New York.
Go to W&M.

ligirl

New

Post by ligirl » Thu Apr 15, 2010 6:14 pm

If you love W&M, go there. You can't get swayed by the money, go with your heart. And if you do chose W&M - call Brooklyn and tell them to give me your $$ :P

jewtangclan03

New

Post by jewtangclan03 » Thu Apr 15, 2010 7:02 pm

Don't get me wrong, I'm from Southeastern Virginia and Williamsburg is a lovely place. Having lived in VA my whole life I kind of wanted the change of scenery, and now I'm living in in Williamsburg, Brooklyn.

Top 40% at Brooklyn will be tough. I have a top 50% requirement at SJU. Assuming I make the same grades I made last semester, I'll retain it with some room to spare, but it definitely adds a crushing layer of stress when I think about what it would mean to lose my huge scholly AND be in the bottom half of my class.

Sounds like your heart is with W&M. Go there and enjoy it!

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Choosing a Law School”