UNC v. WFU ($$$) Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

Which School Should I Pick?

Wake Forest: $65,000-70,000 total cost
52%
UNC: $85,000-90,000 total cost
48%

Total votes: 31

PirateCap'n

Silver

UNC v. WFU ($$$)

Post by PirateCap'n » Wed Apr 14, 2010 11:59 pm

This is it. After this one, I'm done. I'm in at both. Wake offered a significant scholarship; UNC offered nothing.

Total costs for the two:
Wake Forest: ~$65,000-70,000 (top 2/3 class requirement)
UNC: ~$85,000-90,000 (possibly higher due to COL)

Give or take, UNC will be between $15,000-20,000 more. I plan to work in NC. I know that UNC is highly regard by everyone in the state, but it seems that Wake is gaining on UNC (if it hasn't already caught it). I like Wake better but wouldn't hesitate to choose UNC if the career options were actually that much better. It just doesn't seem that they are. What do you guys think?

Grizz

Diamond

Re: UNC v. WFU ($$$)

Post by Grizz » Thu Apr 15, 2010 12:09 am

IIRC, Wake had better clerkships and NLF250 stats, plus it's cheaper, so go to Wake.

kalvano

Diamond

Post by kalvano » Thu Apr 15, 2010 12:36 am

They place pretty equally in the state. UNC doesn't seem to offer anything more or less than Wake does.

Take the money and go to Wake.

Nicholasnickynic

Silver

Post by Nicholasnickynic » Thu Apr 15, 2010 12:39 am

Kalvano, are you employed and/or contracted out by Melanie Nutt & Co.?

Dr. Review

Gold

Post by Dr. Review » Thu Apr 15, 2010 12:40 am

In my experience, the majority of UNC grads, both UG and JD, are pretentious douchebags. Now, I hate to generalize here, and this may not be true of everyone. So I say go to Wake, unless you are a pretentious douche, and then you should go to UNC.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

kalvano

Diamond

Post by kalvano » Thu Apr 15, 2010 12:42 am

Nicholasnickynic wrote:Kalvano, are you employed and/or contracted out by Melanie Nutt & Co.?

Nope. It's not like he asked about the difference between Duke and Wake.

But when you look at all the stats for North Carolina (and I looked at a metric shit-ton before decidig to completely uproot my life and head over there), nothing suggests that UNC is a significantly better school than Wake, and certainly not worth $20K more.

If the costs were equal, I'd say go to UNC, just because they rank higher.

Nicholasnickynic

Silver

Post by Nicholasnickynic » Thu Apr 15, 2010 12:45 am

kalvano wrote:
Nicholasnickynic wrote:Kalvano, are you employed and/or contracted out by Melanie Nutt & Co.?

Nope. It's not like he asked about the difference between Duke and Wake.

But when you look at all the stats for North Carolina (and I looked at a metric shit-ton before decidig to completely uproot my life and head over there), nothing suggests that UNC is a significantly better school than Wake, and certainly not worth $20K more.

If the costs were equal, I'd say go to UNC, just because they rank higher.
I keed, I keed. But good point.

jlnoa0915

Bronze

Post by jlnoa0915 » Thu Apr 15, 2010 12:49 am

Wake all day long, no question.

Luis Gomez

Bronze

Post by Luis Gomez » Thu Apr 15, 2010 12:59 am

Wake Forest. +1

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

icydash

Bronze

Post by icydash » Thu Apr 15, 2010 1:09 am

Pirate: just out of curiosity, what were your stats?

PirateCap'n

Silver

Post by PirateCap'n » Thu Apr 15, 2010 8:37 am

icydash wrote:Pirate: just out of curiosity, what were your stats?
Mid-160s, >3.8

PirateCap'n

Silver

Post by PirateCap'n » Thu Apr 15, 2010 8:40 am

Bedsole wrote:In my experience, the majority of UNC grads, both UG and JD, are pretentious douchebags. Now, I hate to generalize here, and this may not be true of everyone. So I say go to Wake, unless you are a pretentious douche, and then you should go to UNC.
Honestly, that seems to be true, and that's one of my hesitations about UNC. It seems that even the faculty/staff fit this mold. I know I fit with the "culture" at Wake better, and I like it better overall. I just didn't know if UNC was worth $20,000 more with its larger alumni base and reputation.
Last edited by PirateCap'n on Thu Apr 15, 2010 10:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

missvik218

Silver

Post by missvik218 » Thu Apr 15, 2010 9:14 am

PirateCap'n wrote:it seems that Wake is gaining on UNC (if it hasn't already caught it). I like Wake better but wouldn't hesitate to choose UNC if the career options were actually that much better. It just doesn't seem that they are.
TITCR. GO DEACS!!

Edit: Also, unnecessary douchebaggery FTL.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

moandersen

Silver

Post by moandersen » Thu Apr 15, 2010 10:42 am

haha pirate - you might have to preface your post so that none of us WF supporters (I wont go as far as trolls yet) can post, because you obviously know what we would say. You will probably need more objective, non-biased, opinions.

with all that being said, choose WF. 8)

PirateCap'n

Silver

Post by PirateCap'n » Thu Apr 15, 2010 10:56 am

moandersen wrote:haha pirate - you might have to preface your post so that none of us WF supporters (I wont go as far as trolls yet) can post, because you obviously know what we would say. You will probably need more objective, non-biased, opinions.

Hey man

I'll take any advice I can get. I'm all for WFU folks trying to persuade me (and even UNC folks if there are any on here -- I don't know of many though). Bias is good. It shows that you have reasons for trying to persuade me. I'm fairly set on WFU, but I just want to make sure that I'm not making some horrible mistake (and I don't think I am).

Nicholasnickynic

Silver

Post by Nicholasnickynic » Thu Apr 15, 2010 11:02 am

moandersen wrote:haha pirate - you might have to preface your post so that none of us WF supporters (I wont go as far as trolls yet) can post, because you obviously know what we would say. You will probably need more objective, non-biased, opinions.

I would say trolls. But in the best possible sense :D

I'm deciding between wake and uga, and every time I enter anything wake related, there's always a storm of posts from people that hang out in wake's main thread.

It shows some dedication I guess =)

Luis Gomez

Bronze

Post by Luis Gomez » Thu Apr 15, 2010 11:21 am

Nicholasnickynic wrote:

I would say trolls. But in the best possible sense :D

I'm deciding between wake and uga, and every time I enter anything wake related, there's always a storm of posts from people that hang out in wake's main thread.

It shows some dedication I guess =)
I won't be attending WF anymore and I still go around posting in favor of Wake. I had to let go a full tuition scholly there and it was very hard. The law school seems very well structured and in some areas it carries a level of prestige way above its ranking.

My employer (in Mexico) said it was a shame I wouldn't attend an elite school like Wake and would go to Illinois instead. He is clearly not well informed, but still as a partner in a transnational law firm his ignorance says a lot in favor of Wake Forest.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

tarheel87

Bronze

Post by tarheel87 » Thu Apr 15, 2010 1:05 pm

PirateCap'n wrote:
Bedsole wrote:In my experience, the majority of UNC grads, both UG and JD, are pretentious douchebags. Now, I hate to generalize here, and this may not be true of everyone. So I say go to Wake, unless you are a pretentious douche, and then you should go to UNC.
Honestly, that seems to be true, and that's one of my hesitations about UNC. It seems that even the faculty/staff fit this mold. I know I fit with the "culture" at Wake better, and I like it better overall. I just didn't know if UNC was worth $20,000 more with its larger alumni base and reputation.
CHECK YOU! But seriously if you don't like UNC then we can't hang out at Wake. I'll always be a Tar Heel at heart and this university has done more for me then I could have ever imagined. I may be a pretentious douchebag but--oh nevermind.

PirateCap'n

Silver

Post by PirateCap'n » Thu Apr 15, 2010 1:21 pm

tarheel87 wrote:
PirateCap'n wrote:
CHECK YOU! But seriously if you don't like UNC then we can't hang out at Wake. I'll always be a Tar Heel at heart and this university has done more for me then I could have ever imagined. I may be a pretentious douchebag but--oh nevermind.
Haha. Well as Bedsole mentioned, there are always exceptions, so I'm sure we'll get along just fine. It's just pretty easy to stereotype UNC folks that way. I even have a few friends up that way who definitely seem to fit the stereotype. Just don't know that I'd want to go to school with an entire group of them.

Luis Gomez

Bronze

Post by Luis Gomez » Thu Apr 15, 2010 6:32 pm

Be sure before you decide, there is no transferring between NC Law schools.

PirateCap'n

Silver

Post by PirateCap'n » Thu Apr 15, 2010 8:35 pm

Luis Gomez wrote:Be sure before you decide, there is no transferring between NC law schools.
Yeah. I don't think that too much of a concern. Whichever I decide on (Wake at the moment), I intend to stick with it until the end.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”