UT v. Brooklyn Full Ride Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
rputt3256

New

UT v. Brooklyn Full Ride

Post by rputt3256 » Wed Apr 14, 2010 3:51 pm

Thoughts? Will UT guarantee me a better job/salary in the east coast markets than Brooklyn upon graduation?

I'm very poor and walking out with 200K debt is extremely overwhelming.

Does UT have a national rep?

nycparalegal

Bronze

Re: UT v. Brooklyn Full Ride

Post by nycparalegal » Wed Apr 14, 2010 3:54 pm

UT?

University of Texas?

rputt3256

New

Post by rputt3256 » Wed Apr 14, 2010 3:56 pm

UT-Univ of Texas yeah. Sorry for not making that clear.

Kiersten1985

Silver

Post by Kiersten1985 » Wed Apr 14, 2010 3:58 pm

Do you just want "East coast" or NYC specifically. I'd say if you want NYC, work your ASS off and take Brooklyn. If anywhere else outside of Manhattan or Brooklyn, go with UT.

Are these your only options here?

Kiersten1985

Silver

Do you just want "East coast" or NYC specifically. I'd say if you want NYC, work your ASS off and take Brooklyn. If anywhere else outside of Manhattan or Brooklyn, go with UT.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Kiersten1985

Silver

de5igual

Silver

Post by de5igual » Wed Apr 14, 2010 4:02 pm

rputt3256 wrote:Thoughts? Will UT guarantee me a better job/salary in the east coast markets than Brooklyn upon graduation?

Assuming you're comparing UT-Austin to Brooklyn, then yes

1) you won't end up with 200K in debt at UT if you can get in-state for 2L and 3L, which can be done if you plan ahead

2) UT does have a fairly national rep as over 70% of the students are from instate, yet the school places over 30% out of state.

3)it's likely your full-ride at BLS has strings attached (i.e., top x% requirements), which in case you stand a good chance of losing it

4) why are no other schools being considered here? GW/BU/BC/Fordham??? if you got into UT, you're likely getting a good scholarship at any of those places. If you haven't applied there, and it's really only UT vs BLS, UT anyday even if you're set on going to NYC.

rputt3256

New

Post by rputt3256 » Wed Apr 14, 2010 4:06 pm

I did also get into GW, Fordham, Cardozo (with 60K), BU (with 60K), USC but I decided that if I decide to stay in NYC I might as well go for the full-ride...so that eliminated Cardozo & Fordham.

I'm not 100% sure I want to practice in NYC. I've spent the past 5 years here and love it but would like to try somewhere new.

In regards to the in-state tuition...I am trying to establish residency but apparently it is not a common practice and difficult to do. sneaky texans.

de5igual

Silver

Post by de5igual » Wed Apr 14, 2010 4:09 pm

rputt3256 wrote:I did also get into GW, Fordham, Cardozo (with 60K), BU (with 60K), USC but I decided that if I decide to stay in NYC I might as well go for the full-ride...so that eliminated Cardozo & Fordham.

I'm not 100% sure I want to practice in NYC. I've spent the past 5 years here and love it but would like to try somewhere new.

In regards to the in-state tuition...I am trying to establish residency but apparently it is not a common practice and difficult to do. sneaky texans.
if your parents claimed you on their tax return, then you can't establish residency, but if you filed yourself, all you need to do is buy property + physically be in Texas for 12 consecutive months starting August (including switching registration / license / voter registration over to a Texas address for those months).

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

TTH

Diamond

Post by TTH » Wed Apr 14, 2010 4:11 pm

Texas v. BLS? This isn't even a question...

btw, if you had numbers for Texas, you could've got $$$ at a lot more schools than BLS

DerrickRose

Silver

Post by DerrickRose » Wed Apr 14, 2010 4:11 pm

rputt3256 wrote:I did also get into GW, Fordham, Cardozo (with 60K), BU (with 60K), USC but I decided that if I decide to stay in NYC I might as well go for the full-ride...so that eliminated Cardozo & Fordham.

You want to be on the East Coast making good money, but not neccessarily NYC?

BU +60k is a no brainer.

rputt3256

New

Post by rputt3256 » Wed Apr 14, 2010 4:14 pm

f0bolous wrote:

if your parents claimed you on their tax return, then you can't establish residency, but if you filed yourself, all you need to do is buy property + physically be in Texas for 12 consecutive months starting August (including switching registration / license / voter registration over to a Texas address for those months).
Thanks for the help! Yea I did file as an independent. You seem pretty experienced, have you established residency in Texas?

goosey

Gold

Post by goosey » Wed Apr 14, 2010 4:28 pm

f0bolous wrote:
rputt3256 wrote:Thoughts? Will UT guarantee me a better job/salary in the east coast markets than Brooklyn upon graduation?

Assuming you're comparing UT-Austin to Brooklyn, then yes

1) you won't end up with 200K in debt at UT if you can get in-state for 2L and 3L, which can be done if you plan ahead

2) UT does have a fairly national rep as over 70% of the students are from instate, yet the school places over 30% out of state.

3)it's likely your full-ride at BLS has strings attached (i.e., top x% requirements), which in case you stand a good chance of losing it

4) why are no other schools being considered here? GW/BU/BC/Fordham??? if you got into UT, you're likely getting a good scholarship at any of those places. If you haven't applied there, and it's really only UT vs BLS, UT anyday even if you're set on going to NYC.
I don't have an opinion on ut vs brooklyn but in terms of losing ur scholarship at brooklyn--the standard condition on all scholarships is top 40%--if you drop below top 40 but above median, you keep 80%. In order to lose your entire scholarship you would have to be in the bottomg 35% of the class, so while keeping the full ride wouldn't be easy, I hardly think its "likely" one would lose their entire scholarship

de5igual

Silver

Post by de5igual » Wed Apr 14, 2010 4:32 pm

rputt3256 wrote: Thanks for the help! Yea I did file as an independent. You seem pretty experienced, have you established residency in Texas?
not yet (since I'm only an 0L), but this method has been confirmed by the fin aid office, residency office, and current 2Ls and 3Ls who have gone through the process. the key is to plan ahead (read: now), if you don't take action until school starts, it'll be too late.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”