BU vs Fordham for music industry in NYC/LA Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
ilovelawapps

Bronze

BU vs Fordham for music industry in NYC/LA

Post by ilovelawapps » Wed Apr 14, 2010 12:03 pm

Seat deposits are due tomorrow and I'm still deciding between these two schools. I want to do entertainment law (representing bands, musicians and then maybe managing-not sure yet). I know NYC and LA are the two places to do this (most likely NYC for music as LA is geared towards film, although there are a lot of great musicians that come out of there).

The pros for BU are that its ranking is higher (still pissed it slipped out of the 'top 20' lol) and its ranked 4 in Intellectual Property which would definitely help. I keep hearing both sides of the argument that BU places equally (or almost equally) well into NYC as Fordham. As far as being in NYC to make connections, I feel like most of the time during ls you're studying etc and only working during summers. I live near NYC so during 1L and 2L summers I'd want to work in the NYC at a firm that does entertainment or at a record label or something.

As far as Fordham goes, the only thing I see it having over BU are its location. Sure I'd be (hopefully) working in NYC during summers if I went to BU, but at Fordham I'd be in the city all the time which I imagine would certainly help. That, and the fact that Fordham's alumni network is great in ny. Only problem is that if I wanted to go out to CA, I'd imagine doing so from BU would be much easier.

I've visited both schools and definitely prefer BU on the whole, although IMO NYC>>Boston. But above all I want to maximize my opportunities after LS.

Im also EA Deferred at Cornell (which I'd take over BU or Fordham) and waitlisted at UCLA and UT.

Thanks for reading my book, if anyone could help it'd be REALLY appreciated!

OperaSoprano

Gold

Re: BU vs Fordham for music industry in NYC/LA

Post by OperaSoprano » Wed Apr 14, 2010 12:11 pm

Both schools would require significant footwork to get you to CA, though, as you have noticed, more Fordham students tend to stick around the tri-state area. Something like 97% of entering 1Ls said they wanted to practice in NYC, which goes a long way toward explaining this. Fordham has decent entertainment law connections, and the ability to intern a day or two a week during the school year is invaluable IMO. This is what a lot of 2Ls (both FT and PT) wind up doing. Of course you can do the same at BU, but you'd be at a Boston firm. FTR, I got my summer placement through networking I would never have been able to do if I didn't attend school in New York. Both are good schools that will give you the most advantage in their home markets, and you should go where you'll be happiest. When it comes to employment numbers, Fordham and BU switch back and forth with one another every year in the NLJ250 rankings.

imisscollege

Bronze

Post by imisscollege » Wed Apr 14, 2010 2:29 pm

I say you let the short-term cali aspirations go and do Fordham unless you get off the WL at UCLA. Even cornell would be tough cause you wouldn't be able to part time intern in either city that you want.

StoneontaState

New

Post by StoneontaState » Wed Apr 14, 2010 2:36 pm

Becoming a manager is a tough gig to get as is any job in the music biz; Music Business is my undergraduate major (which is why I'm going to law school). The thing is though that all of the four major labels (warner, universal, sony, emi) have offices in both NY and LA as well as most management companies and other music companies (publishing houses like ASCAP for instance). Someone I know got a gig at Sony in LA (she went to school out there) and during the summer was able to work at their office in NY (she's from there).

As far as Fordham vs. BU goes, a lot of the music biz is about contacts. Go whichever place you think gives you the best chance to network with people in the music industry. NYC has a lot more opportunities than Boston for music business, but since I'm going to Miami I can't really comment on the academics of Fordham and BU :P

MidlawMyth

New

Post by MidlawMyth » Wed Apr 14, 2010 4:31 pm

Unless you were a childhood friend of Lady Gaga the chances of this "career" happening are slim to none.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Blindmelon

Gold

Post by Blindmelon » Wed Apr 14, 2010 4:33 pm

If you want to go to LA - BU >>>>>>>> Fordham. If you want NYC Fordham > BU.

ilovelawapps

Bronze

Post by ilovelawapps » Wed Apr 14, 2010 4:44 pm

MidlawMyth wrote:Unless you were a childhood friend of Lady Gaga the chances of this "career" happening are slim to none.
Haha if I could only be so lucky...it's definitely going to be tough but it's worth the effort. Thanks to everyone for the replies. I'm leaning towards BU, the only conceivable factor (albeit a huge one) that Fordham has over it is location. Does BU being ranked 4th in Intellectual Property hold any weight? Or is that just fluff?

ilovelawapps

Bronze

Post by ilovelawapps » Wed Apr 14, 2010 4:45 pm

Blindmelon wrote:If you want to go to LA - BU >>>>>>>> Fordham. If you want NYC Fordham > BU.
But breaking into NYC from BU cant be leaps and bounds behind breaking into NYC from Fordham can it? Is it enough to warrant closing off the LA option just to "secure" NYC?

ilovelawapps

Bronze

Post by ilovelawapps » Thu Apr 15, 2010 12:03 am

bump

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Choosing a Law School”