William Mitchell finally getting the recognition it deserves Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
Slimpee

Silver

Re: William Mitchell finally getting the recognition it deserves

Post by Slimpee » Thu Apr 15, 2010 12:23 pm

spinecho202 wrote:Haha, I can't stop laughing. WM students don't like the U's elitism, yet they continue to through Hamline and st thomas under the bus
Yeah, it's pretty funny. I had a buddy last year who bragged on FB about Hamline being TTT while one of the others was TTTT...

tamlyric

Silver

Post by tamlyric » Thu Apr 15, 2010 12:26 pm

Slimpee wrote:
spinecho202 wrote:Haha, I can't stop laughing. WM students don't like the U's elitism, yet they continue to through Hamline and st thomas under the bus
Yeah, it's pretty funny. I had a buddy last year who bragged on FB about Hamline being TTT while one of the others was TTTT...
Ha! Sounds about right. Seems that the more things change from life on the elementary school playground, the more they stay the same. :wink:

Oh hai, Slim. :mrgreen:

<3

Informative

Bronze

Post by Informative » Thu Apr 15, 2010 12:34 pm

Kind of sad actually. I don't really think WM is better than UST regardless of this year's rankings. Then again, I don't think any of the law schools in Minnesota are very good when you look at the cost these schools are charging. If I were accepted to one of these schools, I would just go to the school that gave me the most $.

WallyGator12000

New

Post by WallyGator12000 » Thu Apr 15, 2010 1:12 pm

Informative wrote:Kind of sad actually. I don't really think WM is better than UST regardless of this year's rankings. Then again, I don't think any of the law schools in Minnesota are very good when you look at the cost these schools are charging. If I were accepted to one of these schools, I would just go to the school that gave me the most $.
And you're entitled to that opinion, though I would disagree (and not just because of the new rankings). I do think you are right on with your comment about $. That is why Mitchell and St. Thomas are very appealing, because of the scholarship $. Paying sticker to go to a T25, hell a T14 school isn't the golden ticket it used to be, it's a gamble. If it were me, and I knew I wanted to stay in MN, I would take a long hard look at the other options and how they place graduates.
So it is laughable for me to "throw Hamline and St. Thomas under the bus", while you get to throw Hamline, St. Thomas, and William Mitchell under the same bus? I love how students at the U have an elitist mindset, when outside of MN their school is a laughable T25. Many of the U law students I know act like their school is a T14, or should be. I also know that no one is getting jobs right now outside of the top 10-25% at any law school in Minnesota, but the U still thinks they are in better shape than the other schools. That's what is really funny.

I've only tried to provide a reasonable opinion/perspective as to why WM is a competitive law school choice for the Twin Cities market. No one is arguing that the U of M is a great choice, and more often than not probably the best option. I don't think Hamline is at all, and I have been told as much by many attorneys, including some Hamline grads from yesteryear. I do think St. Thomas is, but not as strong as WM.

spinecho202

New

Post by spinecho202 » Thu Apr 15, 2010 2:42 pm

WallyGator12000 wrote:
Informative wrote: So it is laughable for me to "throw Hamline and St. Thomas under the bus", while you get to throw Hamline, St. Thomas, and William Mitchell under the same bus? I love how students at the U have an elitist mindset, when outside of MN their school is a laughable T25.
But...you don't see me trying to go around creating bogus arguments that the U is better than Harvard to feed my own self-delusions now do you? You're only fooling yourself
Last edited by spinecho202 on Thu Apr 15, 2010 2:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

WallyGator12000

New

Post by WallyGator12000 » Thu Apr 15, 2010 2:48 pm

spinecho202 wrote:But...you don't see me trying to go around creating bogus arguements that the U is better than Harvard to feed my own self-delusions now do you? You're only fooling yourself
No...I see you coming on this thread and creating bogus arguments about how the U is ridiculously superior to Mitchell, when it simply isn't. Sorry friend, the self-delusions are yours alone.

spinecho202

New

Post by spinecho202 » Thu Apr 15, 2010 2:51 pm

who said "ridiculously superior"? you're attacking a straw man...the same logic that got you only into william mitchell

WallyGator12000

New

Post by WallyGator12000 » Thu Apr 15, 2010 4:14 pm

spinecho202 wrote:Are you high? I agree, Billy Mitchell is the better of the tier 2 schools, but get real
spinecho202 wrote:the vast majority of attorneys are otherwise from the U
Wow, you're right, none of your argument revolved around your belief the U is ridiculously superior to Mitchell.

And by the way, I was in and the U and Mitchell. I chose Mitchell, and I don't regret the choice one bit.

Slimpee

Silver

Post by Slimpee » Thu Apr 15, 2010 4:19 pm

WallyGator12000 wrote: And by the way, I was in and the U and Mitchell. I chose Mitchell, and I don't regret the choice one bit.
Why'd you choose Mitchell over the U? Money?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

WallyGator12000

New

Post by WallyGator12000 » Thu Apr 15, 2010 4:31 pm

Honestly, $ was a big factor. Mitchell offered major scholarship dollars, the U offered none. Also, I did a lot of talking to attorneys in the Twin Cities and asked them of their opinions of the two, and found Mitchell was very well-respected, and at least comparable to the U for at a lot of firms. Finally, I knew I wasn't going to leave Minnesota, and I wanted the assistance of the alumni network (lots of U of M grads go out of state). Now with the economy crash, I think my decision looks all the better (for many of the reasons discussed above).

gmn58

New

Post by gmn58 » Thu Apr 15, 2010 5:12 pm

Desert Fox wrote:I didn't know Minnesota had more than one law school.
+1

waitingsux

New

Post by waitingsux » Thu Apr 15, 2010 11:04 pm

I'm a happy Mitchell student. Both schools have strengths and weaknesses. Mitchell's branded locally as offering a practical legal education. From my experience of talking to people in the local legal community they agree. U students are known for being tangled in theory and lacking tangible skills. But I asked a judge in town his opinions of the two schools. He claimed to only interview U students in the top 25% of their class and Mitchell students in the top 10%.

Informative

Bronze

Post by Informative » Fri Apr 16, 2010 12:05 pm

Slimpee wrote:
WallyGator12000 wrote: And by the way, I was in and the U and Mitchell. I chose Mitchell, and I don't regret the choice one bit.
Really? You chose what is largely considered the third best law school in its own market over the other two schools? This is not something you should EVER brag about.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

WallyGator12000

New

Post by WallyGator12000 » Fri Apr 16, 2010 12:59 pm

Informative wrote:
Slimpee wrote:
Really? You chose what is largely considered the third best law school in its own market over the other two schools? This is not something you should EVER brag about.
I don't really even know how to respond to this post, besides telling you to read everything written above in this thread. You clearly don't know what you are talking about.

Gunz353

Bronze

Post by Gunz353 » Fri Apr 16, 2010 1:10 pm

Soooo anyway...Congratulations to William Mitchell on getting the recognition it deserves! LOL. I'm extremely happy with my decision to go there this Fall and can't wait to make the big move to the Midwest.

tamlyric

Silver

Post by tamlyric » Fri Apr 16, 2010 1:12 pm

Gunz353 wrote:Soooo anyway...Congratulations to William Mitchell on getting the recognition it deserves! LOL. I'm extremely happy with my decision to go there this Fall and can't wait to make the big move to the Midwest.
LOL. Gotta love the interwebz. :wink:

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Return to “Choosing a Law School”